Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing Coach Carpet (Read 24 times) previous topic - next topic
Replacing Coach Carpet
Yahoo Message Number: 149638
My carpet is starting to show it's age and I want to replace with vinyl tile or something I can just sweep and mop to clean. Does anyone have experience with this? If so how big of a job is it? I have heard that there are hundreds of staples I would have to pull out just to remove old carpet.

Constantly vacuuming and cleaning carpet due to the dusty areas I camp in has become a chore. Would like something I could just sweep and mop, then put down area rugs where needed. Any advice a plus.
Thank you.

Bob 01 23.5 TK with toys...

Re: Replacing Coach Carpet
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 149641
ld tour.wmv

Many of us have experience replacing the carpet.
This is our '84.
Caveats:
1. The cab carpet may be one piece with the interior and have to be separated or  replaced.
2. The staples probably won't have to be pulled to get the carpet out, but many will stay behind.
3. There will be vinyl that extends out under the carpet from vinyl areas.
4. There will be rounded bolt heads that have to be accommodated to get a good flat floor.
5. The type of wood laminate I used is not attached to the floor. The trim around the outside is all that holds it down. I ran mine cross-ways so that every piece is held down. Length-wise is easier, but it may be subject to movement.

If I got another LD I would replace the carpet. I would ignore the staples and the vinyl and the bolt heads and just use double padding.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 149658
Hello Bob,
 We recently replaced all the flooring (not including the cab) with Allure vinyl planks from Home Depot.
 Short version:  Yes, it was an extremely tedious job which took about 20 hours total.  This was our first time so YMMV.  The results are worth it.  Please read further for details.
 Some of the smaller staples come off with the carpet if you pull carefully.  The larger staples require a bit more effort but a small cat claw or flathead screw driver and hammer does the trick.
 A lot of my time was spent creating templates for the vinyl and figuring out angles for the molding.  We used quarter round for everything but the step area.  I used aluminum angle there.
 One tip if you use plank or tile vynil:  store and install it at an average temperature.  I did the floor during the summer and stored the planks in the garage.  I noticed some contraction after installation, when the planks got to the ambient temperature inside the Rv.  This was explained in the installation guidelines, which I never read.  It's also common knowledge among flooring experts and just about anybody that has common sense.
 We also ripped off the carpet from the wall under the rear glass of our MB.  The staple holes were filled and the wall painted white.
 The vertical section of carpet just outside the shower was also eliminated and replaced with a single piece of luan painted with the same paint.  This area needed to be built up so the luan would fit almost flush with the lip of the shower.
 The raised area around the toilet was painted white.  We used deglosser on the existing vinyl so the paint would adhere correctly.  We figured nobody steps there so why go through the trouble.
 The interior looks nicer since the floor is the same throughout.  It also feels roomier with lighter color.   We used a beige terrazzo pattern which matches nicely with our cabinets, counter top and upholstery.

Please let us know how it goes.

Good luck!

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 149661
Hi Bob, I recently replaced the carpet in my 92' MP 22' with Allure planking from Home Depot.
Pros: Looks good ( I used the bamboo pattern ) Easy to clean ( Quick sweep or swiffer mop and you're done ) Cheap compared to sheet vinyl or carpet Forgiving over floor some imperfections ( I removed a lot of staples with pliers and some I drove flush with the hammer...the product is two ply and you can cut the bottom ply to help conceal the carriage bolt holes-score the section that needs to be removed and pry off the material with a putty knife or screw driver It's a floating floor and can be removed easily for change

Cons: I've got concern about its ability to handle the heat during storage.  This is a residential product and only time will tell if the adhesive will hold.
Once the pieces are stuck together it creates a bond that doesn't like to be separated.  I did learn that you can test fit pieces by covering the sticky sides with the wax paper that's between the layers...
The sticky side picks up everything-make sure the area is vacuumed very clean, and when you trim/shave a piece vacuum the shavings from the work area.

Helpful hints: Remove floor sockets and reattach after installation Run it the length of the LD to avoid extra cuts and waste The bath area was the most time consuming.  It may be easier and quicker to remove the toilet...
Aluminum stair tread nosing works well on entrance stairs - just trim with tin snips I used SPAX 1 1/4 screws meant for pegboard to hold these pieces down to the wood.  The heads are large andI think it looks good...
I used a dark tan caulk instead of moulding where the floor meets the walls...

Good Luck with it! John

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 151836
I'm getting close to installing self adhesive (peel and stick) 12" tiles in my 97 TK. After pulling up carpet, pad, staples and a few pounds of fine dirt (we were breathing that?!), I used 3/8" staples to tack down some .10" plywood. I then started reading about applying a coat of primer to the plywood before laying the vinyl tiles. I think my next steps will be to do this on a sample area and then apply a few tiles and wait a few days so I'm sure they don't start detaching. Does this seem to make sense? Should I use a sheet of linoleum instead?

I'll post pics at the end. In the meantime, I'm wondering if there are thoughts from the group on a nice way to do the stairwell. Peel and stick as well or a solid piece or two of laminate? I'm afraid of too many seams if I do peel and stick.

Thanks in advance.
Ray
2003 MB
Formerly 1997 TK

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 151838
"Should I use a sheet of linoleum instead?"

Ray

If everything is level enough, I find sheet flooring to be easier to install, easier to keep clean in the long run and easier to get a decent looking floor.
The trick is making an exact template of the floor and then transferring the outline to the sheet.
Use a heavy kraft paper, or similar, along with scissors and wide tape, to construct the template.
Leave a 1/4" gap around the perimeter, to be covered with molding.
Make sure to triple check that the template is one the right side of the flooring, just before cutting.
Don't accidently reverse the template.
Armstrong used to sell a DIY template kit for installing sheet flooring, at Home Depot.
It might still be available..

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 151869
FWIW I had linoleum installed years ago watched the professional do it and picked up some pointers.
- he used tar paper for roofs (probably had some handy.
- he laid out the paper on the floor almost to the edges.
- he cut several small holes around the middle and taped the template to the floor.
- he used a 1x4 block to measure in from the walls giving him a perimeter smaller than the floor.
- he used the same block to cut the lino from the template.

That has saved me some grief over the years.

joel

Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 151870
Thanks for the input, I haven't gotten to the point of no return yet, so I'll reassess before taking the next step.
2003 MB
Formerly 1997 TK

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 151874
In our 06 30' we just had the flooring replaced from front to back with cushioned sheet vinyl while we were in Yuma, AZ. Obviously, that didn't include the cab. We are very happy with the result. The installer did a great job. The edges were caulked and the finished work looks great.

The flooring looks like plank flooring similar to what I have seen in newer Airstreams. Amazing what they can do these days with vinyl.

I would never do it myself. Don't have the patience or skill. We did, however, remove the old carpet and staples.

Here are some photos and our report on the job.

http://littleadventures-jg.blogspot.com/search?q=floor

Jim C

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 151887
Looks beautiful--thx for sharing the great pix, too!

Lyne LDy Lulubelle ('05 30' TB) Lilly (4-legged B&W alarm system)
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm