Skip to main content
Topic: 2000 MB Axle Weights (Read 40 times) previous topic - next topic
2000 MB Axle Weights
Yahoo Message Number: 149590
I had my 2000 MB weighed at a CAT scale recently (after my tire failure).  CAT scales are certified accurate truck scales.

I had the LD weighed to make sure that I was carrying the proper air pressure in my tires.

The LD was weighed with full gas, full water, empty black and gray tanks.  Combined weight of driver and passenger was 340 lb.  Nothing was removed from the LD and it was ready for a trip.  All of my exterior compartments are full.  I should note that there was no perishable or frozen food in the LD.

The manual specifies in the paragraph preceding the year 2000 weight chart for the various LD models:

"The following chart is designed to give you an understanding of how many pounds of payload can be added to the motorhome and not exceed the "built in" maximum rated carrying capacity of the chassis GAWR, GVWR and GCWR".

GAWR = Gross Axle Weight Rating GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating

The 2000 LD Manual (23rd edition) specifies maximum weights as:

GVWR = 14,050 GAWR (front axle) = 4,600 GAWR (rear axle) = 9,450

My 2000 MD LD:

Total Weight = 12,780 Front Axle = 4,520 Rear Axle = 8,260

My front axle is within 80 lbs of maximum allowed.  The rear axle allows me to add about 1,200 lbs.

My motorhome has never had an accident and the chassis is the standard E-450 for year 2000.

The front area of the motorhome is standard equipment except that I have 4 AGM batteries and 2 solar panels.  I don't carry anything in the overhead bed area other than a couple of toppers for the rear beds.

The rear axle weight was about where I thought it would be, but the front axle weight was a surprise.

I haven't found a specific inflation chart for the Michelin LTX M/S 2.  Any comments on inflation pressures for my LD weight???  LD recommends 70 front and 65 rear for a 2000 MB.

San Diego Bob
2000 MB

Re: 2000 MB Axle Weights
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 149592
"The rear axle weight was about where I thought it would be, but the front axle weight was a surprise.
 I haven't found a specific inflation chart for the Michelin LTX M/S 2.  Any comments on inflation pressures for my LD weight???  LD recommends 70 front and 65 rear for a 2000 MB"

San Diego Bob
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 149593
"The rear axle weight was about where I thought it would be, but the front axle weight was a surprise.
 I haven't found a specific inflation chart for the Michelin LTX M/S 2.  Any comments on inflation pressures for my LD weight???  LD recommends 70 front and 65 rear for a 2000 MB"

San Diego Bob

All LDs have heavily loaded front axles. Ever notice how most LDs sit lower in the front, than in the rear?

Check Michelin's Truck Tire Guide. The tire pressure chart is on page 22 http://www.michelintruck.com/assets/pdf/Truck_Tire_Data_Book_Sept2011.pdf

Your LD should have a minimum of 65-psi front and rear.
I usually add 5-psi extra to make up for tires checks and the slow leakage all tires have. This eliminate having to add air often..

Larry
Larry

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 149595
Thanks for that reference, Larry; very helpful!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

San Diego Bob
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 149598

Does San Diego Bob give tours of his 2000 MD ?

I have been on this LD forum for many years and I have never seen the inside of any LD

thanks

San Diego Roger

Re: San Diego Bob
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 149599
In a message dated 11/18/2014 5:32:21 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,  lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com writes:
Does San Diego Bob give tours    of his 2000 MD ? I have been on this LD forum for many years and I have never    seen the inside of any LD

San Diego Roger

SD Roger,  Come to  Escondido and I will give you the el grande tour of my 2003 MD 26.5  LD.         Escondido        John
John in Escondido,  CA

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 149604
How long does it take to drive from San Diego to the factory?  A couple of hours?  Why not just go there?

Dick

Repairs at the mothership
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 149606
Hi all,  a week ago I dropped my 2003 26 ft MB in Montclair so they could repair the aluminum siding where the paint was bubbling apparently because of oxidation of the aluminum. I had made an appointment in June, and November is when they said they could work on it. I left it at the factory expecting them to be able to fix it in a couple of weeks.
I'm interested in the experience of those of you who have left your units for repair. Did they fix the units in a timely manner?  Did they keep you informed of their progress as they did the repair?  Were you satisfied with the "repair experience"? In 20 years of owning a Lazy Daze (a '93 and this '03), I've never needed a factory repair, and would like to hear some of your experiences.
Thank you.
Doug

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 149607
Hi Roger,

You're welcome to visit my 2000 MB Lazy Daze.  I line in the San Carlos area of San Diego.  Where are you located?

San Diego Bob
2000 MB

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 149608
 I  haven't found a specific inflation chart for the Michelin LTX M/S 2.   Any comments on inflation pressures for my LD weight???  LD recommends  70 front and 65 rear for a 2000 MB"

The last time I checked the tread design make no difference. It is the size of the tire.  The 225/75-16 is 2680 for single and 2470 for duel.

George

Retired Plumber

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 149609
Hi Escondido John,

I've gotta visit you and your LD someday.  We had several off forum discussions months ago.

Are you going to Live Oak (Santa Barbara) in December?  I know you said you liked to take short trips, preferably beach front parks.  Live Oak might be farther than you like to go.

San Diego Bob
2000 MB

Re: Repairs at the mothership
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 149610
They did a superb job repainting my 2003 midbath this past spring. You can find before-and-after pictures in this group's Photos section.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 149613
"The last time I checked the tread design make no difference. It is the size of the tire.  The 225/75-16 is 2680 for single and 2470 for duel."

----- The numbers cited in the "snip" above refer to the maximum load that each tire (in each axle position) can carry, not the *individual tire inflation pressure(s)* (in each axle position) based on axle weight.

The Michelin tire inflation chart that Larry referred to in post #149593 shows Michelin's recommendations for inflation pressures for tires in single and dual positions according to axle weights of a fully loaded, ready-for-the road vehicle; axle weights and inflation numbers are given for specific sizes of tires. The relevant numbers for *most* LDs regardless of year or model pertain to LT225/75R/16E tires.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall "tread" being a part of this particular thread of "individual tire inflation pressures based on axle weights" discussion. ;-)

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 149614
Hi Doug. I turned right into a large boulder that I didn't remember was marking the edge of my campsite as I pulled out of that spot in Arizona last spring. Result: it crushed the bottom 3 or 4 inches of a storage bay on the passenger side of my rig. Since I wasn't that far from Montclair I went there to have it repaired. They not only got me in quickly but did a superb job of fixing it in a few days, knowing I was without wheels (I don't tow) and wanting to be back on the road again. I'd give the crew there a big thumbs-up for their quick, friendly, helpful service.

Chuck Custer

Bellevue, WA

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 149615
We're another San Diego LD owners. Only a couple months now with our 23.6 TK. Slowly learning the ropes of RV'ing but really having fun.
Don, Debbie, and Addie,(the amazing walking dog)

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 149620
Hi San Diego Bob,

I read your post about getting your 2000 Mid-bath weighed and have a couple of thoughts.

You mentioned a front axle weight of 4520, rear axle 8260, and a gross vehicle weight of 12780# and you were surprised by the front weight. I think you also mentioned that your rig was loaded with full fresh water but empty black and gray tanks, and I think you mentioned having no food in the fridge.

Back in 2003, message #23619 has figures for a 2003 MB that came in at 4120# on the front and 8400# rear, also loaded for travel, also with full water and gas.  My 2003 MB got weighed in 2003  and weighed 4220# front and 8100#. I don't think I had my fresh water tank full at the time since I never travel with that tank full.

Since you have a mid-bath, I am assuming your extra AGM batteries are located under the fridge and has added to your front axle weight. Based on what I've seen for battery weights, those extra batteries each weigh around 66#s, so there you have an extra 132#s. A full load of fresh water, I think 50 gallons probably weighs about 400#s and is probably 200#s more than I carry. And your Emerald Plus weighs around 40#s more too.

Keep in mind that even though you are near the limit for your front axle, as you use your fresh water tank you are shifting some of that extra weight towards the rear as you move liquid to the waste tanks.

You also asked about tire pressures for your new Michelin LTX-2 tires. For what its worth, I have inflated mine the same as I did the original LTX's; I run 65#s in the fronts and 75-78 in the rears depending on how much extra stuff we have packed.

IF I were you and couldn't shift some of that extra front weight towards the rear, I would probably inflate the front tires to 70-73#s.

I've looked at a couple newer rigs and have seen where Lazy Daze has moved the propane tank to the rear on the driver's side which has probably made for a bit better weight balance.

Steve K. (in bitter cold Ohio)
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 149624
Been there three times for work (once with our '99 and twice with our '06) and each time the experience was favorable.  Vince called me a couple of times to inform me of their findings.  First time was for, I believe, three days and the last two for a week, which is what we wanted as we had a condo week to enjoy the SoCal coast. Very satisfied.

Bob in Florida SE 5 30IB AE

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 149625
If your LD need involved repair work, there is no better place than the Mothership.
They know how it was constructed and how to take it apart cleanly, if needed.
I have seen many LD repair jobs there and cannot tell whre the damage was or if anything ever happened at all. Part of the reason is that they use the same people and materials to build new and repair.

It's my body repair place of choice.

Larry
Larry

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 149626
It's my body repair place of choice.

----- ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 149627
"It's my body repair place of choice."

I wonder if they can repair a 1957 vintage body. Hi miles, drove hard and put away wet, minimal health maintenance, and runs best on good red wine. Has numerous battle scars and surgical repairs.

Bob

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 149630
While we've not had body repairs at The Mothership, we've had some totally unnecessary upgrades, shower and escape hatch replacement covers (trying to be ahead of the preventative maintenance curve) and some minor (but necessary) mechanical repairs done there.  We have had exceptional service and outstanding welcomes when we've arrived and all has been taken care of in a timely manner and when promised....and we've traveled from Maine (home base) to California a couple of times to do this.

And for the record, the only other person trusted to touch our 2006 MB is Larry Wade, also in CA.  And we hope to visit again in 2015/16 (Heads Up, Larry!).

Just remember, no credit cards, but checks and cash work great!

TinaP 2006 MB "Wild Thing" currently doing the Florida thing
2006 MB

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 149636
Hi

I live in North Park so we are near each other.

I do not how to private message so my email address is

ez24hours

with the same provider we are using --> yahoo

then of course add the .c0m

Someone suggested I go to the factory but I will never be able to afford a 2014 model.  I hope in 2016 to be able to get a 2000 model so I would like to see yours

thanks Roger

From: rbkarrow To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:51 PM Subject: [LD] Re: San Diego Bob