Skip to main content
Topic: charging house batteries (Read 27 times) previous topic - next topic
charging house batteries
Yahoo Message Number: 149566
Hi Group;

Greetings from the Natchez Trace parkway.  We are on our way to AZ for the winter but in no rush even with the very cold weather.
However, it is raining today so my two solar panels are of no help.  We are also staying put for the day so no engine help in charging the batteries.  This has not happened in a long time.  In Nova Scotia for the summer we almost always have enough sunshine to charge up the batteries.
My question, can the genset charge up the batteries as efficiently as the engine?  We tried running the genset for 3 hours this morning with very few loads on and it barely increased the percentage reading on my Trimetric meter.  I usually try to keep that reading above 80% but the meter is now own to 73%.

What is the best way to charge the house batteries on a rainy, sunless day?

Thanks,
Mike

2007 RK

Re: charging house batteries
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 149568
Or 96 LD manual specifically tells us to run the engine for about 15 min to charge the house batteries. It worked fine as long as the batteries were good. Another story.
Sandy
KalleAnka

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 149569
What type of a power converter do you have? The stock model can take 12 hr.s or longer to charge the batteries. My best converter can do it in about 7.

"What is the best way to charge the house batteries on a rainy, sunless day?" If you have an A.C. source a good external battery charger like my Napa Gold model work well.
 The rear of some gas stations or malls usually have an external A.C. source. Sometimes it's easier to ask for forgiveness later than permission in advance.

I have seen people at electric car charging stations using a home made solution.

Once I convinced a Carnival worker to let me tap into their generator output by buying his kids hot dogs and cotton candy.

Bob

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 149572
"Our 96 LD manual specifically tells us to run the engine for about 15 min to charge the house batteries. "

The alternator on an idling engine does not produce anywhere near it's rated amperage and is not a good way of charging your coach battery.
Raise the idle up to 1200-2000 RPM, it's a different story. I've seen 50+ amp charge rates in our LD, with the engine reved to about 1500 RPM, so driving isn't a bad way replenish your battery but you still need time to charge it to even an 80% point Idling the engine for 15 minutes is going to accomplish very little charging.

If your solar isn't enough, do as Steve suggested and get a "Smart" charger, it will significantly reduce the generator run time and is easier on the batteries in the long run.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 149575
Every one in our ATV group carries a small generator. Most are the Honda 1000. If the bats start to go down we just start the small gen and charge the bat. let it run for 2 or more hours and back in service. The gen will handle the chargers with no problem. Since we are dry champing with just our own group there are no complainers. Plus the new gen are so quite you think nothing once you get 10 feet away from them. The Honda will run over 8 hours on half a gal of gas.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 149576
  • 0 Attachment

"Every one in our ATV group carries a small generator. Most are the Honda 1000. The Honda will run over 8 hours on half a gal of gas."

All later model LDs come with generators, so why carry another?  Most of us do not have the room to store a  portable generator, plus a way to safely carry a can(s) of gasoline. This system is already built into your LD.

The bigger, 'smart' converters can use more wattage than a Honda 1000 provides.
    Our LD's Progressive Dynamics PD9270 converter uses 1250 watts and will charge a low battery in less than half the time of the stock converter.

Honda advertises "Thanks to our exclusive Eco-Throttle System, the EU1000i offers great fuel efficiency.  Runs 3.8 to 8.3 hours on a single tank, depending on the load".
    Running a stock converter will take most or all the capacity of the Honda 1000, so expect the lower 3.8 hour run time, on .6 gallon, instead of the 8.3 hour rating..

Larry
    Larry
    2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
    Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
    Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
    Yahoo Message Number: 149577
    Something I would add is the security concerns about having your portable generator stolen. I found out the hard way many years ago that chain is no match for a good set of bolt cutters and a thief. It was a Honda e1000 that I lost. They would have a much harder time trying to steal the on board Onan.

Bob

Reply #8
    Yahoo Message Number: 149584
    "I found out the hard way many years ago that chain is no match for a good set of bolt cutters and a thief. It was a Honda EU1000 that I lost."

The exact same thing happened to my Honda EU10001 generator some years back. And Larry's points are well taken. If your rig already has a 4,000 W Onan generator, it makes little sense to purchase and lug around an additional 1,000 W one, plus its fuel can.

If your LD has no generator (my 1985 LD didn't), that's a different story.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
    Andy Baird
    2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
    Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #9
    Yahoo Message Number: 149586
    I think the Onan genset is very secure. So far my old Emerald model is there when I need it (rarely). Just too darn loud.

I prefer the silence of Solar Panels. If only I could get the Solar to charge my radio controlled truck. The lithium charger doesn't like the inverter power. Generator power it takes fine. Don't get it.

Bob

Reply #10
    Yahoo Message Number: 149587
    I agree with Bob in full. The on-board 2500 watt gen are way to loud plus they use far to much fuel to run just the bat chargers. And yes I do have one on my 24' 2005 front dinnet. I do have same solor panels but there is a limit to how much and where they will work. So this is why our group prefers to go with the small gens like the Honda 1000. They are very quite and we find they will handle every thing we want to run but the roof air, which is not needed in the CO mountains and the microwave which I run 2 or 3 times a day for several minutes. The Honda may run several hours on some days to bring the bats back up.
     And the gen and the air compressor fit nicely in the some what large storage compartment on the 24 LD
     As far as your charging the lithium bat for the radio truck. It probely has to do with the sign wave that the cheaper inverters puts out. If you check your inverter it will show that is is only putting out 92 volts and the more extensive unit cost just to much. I have this problem with some equipment that I use.

George

Retired Plumber

I think the Onan genset is very secure. So far my old Emerald model is there when I need it (rarely). Just too darn loud.

I  prefer the silence of Solar Panels. If only I could get the Solar to  charge my radio controlled truck. The lithium charger doesn't like the  inverter power. Generator power it takes fine. Don't get it.

Bob

Reply #11
    Yahoo Message Number: 149589
    Battery chargers often draw a surge of current at the peaks of the inverter output AC waveform, rather than over the entire waveform like a tungsten light bulb, toaster, heater, etc. If this surge is more than the inverter can handle, the charger won't be able to run at full output. For your purposes, there are some potential solutions:

* get a lithium charger that operates from a 12 volt battery (your engine or house battery) - these are cheap ($30 and up) and readily available from hobby outlets, like Tower Hobbies, Amazon, etc, and will charge it quickly.
    * try pre-loading the output of your inverter before you plug in the charger; for example, plug a 60 watt tungsten bulb into it (try a bigger bulb it that doesn't do it, a small travel iron, 100 watt soldering iron, etc)

Eric Greenwell
      [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote, On 11/17/2014 11:13 PM:
    2005 Jayco 24SS