Skip to main content
Topic: Bypassing inverter for TV electronics (Read 14 times) previous topic - next topic
Bypassing inverter for TV electronics
Yahoo Message Number: 149397
Good day!

I apologize in advance if this topic has been covered already.  I could not find a clear answer in the archives.

Is it possible to bypass the inverter so that the TV electronics tap directly into the exterior shore power?  I ask because the inverter is running all the time when I have the TV on and since I never watch TV while boondocking, I thought I'd ask.  The inverter fan kicks on regularly.  Since I have 120 V, my thought is why convert it to 12 volts and then back to 120?

Just interested.  Thanks for any info.

Dan

26.5' 2003 RB

San Juan Bautista, CA
2002 Rear Bath

Re: Bypassing inverter for TV electronics
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 149398
"Is it possible to bypass the inverter so that the TV electronics tap directly into the exterior shore power?"

If your TV uses 120 VAC, as your message implies, then you can run it on shore power (or for that matter, generator power). Just plug into any 120 VAC outlet other than the special one dedicated to the built-in inverter.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 149399
Thanks Andy. Is it possible to retire the special outlet so it connects directly to 120V?

--Dan
2002 Rear Bath

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 149401
"Just plug into any 120 VAC outlet other than the special one dedicated to the built-in inverter."
 Which means you might have to run an appropriate extension cord to the closest 120 outlet depending on your floorplan.

Chris H 2002 30' IB
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 149402
"Is it possible to rewire the special outlet so it connects directly to 120V?"

I suppose you could, but I wouldn't.

In fact, I didn't, even though I have a whole-house inverter that can power all my other 120 V outlets even when I'm not plugged in. But I left that one outlet just as it was, figuring that the factory-installed 400 W inverter may be useful as a backup. TV? Naw, I don't even have one. But I might want to run my computer from that outlet in an emergency, or charge some device that doesn't have a 12 V adapter. Who knows? It seems foolish to throw away the capability. I might need it someday.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 149403
Apparently, the 400W inverter used by LD does not have a transfer relay in it? I ask because my similar SOB uses a 400W inverter that does have a transfer relay in it, so that socket supplies grid power whenever the motorhome is connected to shore power (or to the generator if I'm using that).

Eric Greenwell
  [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote, On 11/9/2014 8:36 PM:
2005 Jayco 24SS