Skip to main content
Topic: Mounting Television... (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic
Mounting Television...
Yahoo Message Number: 149300
Hi Everyone,

I looked through the previous messages, and didn't find anything that addressed this issue.

When I took delivery of my 1998 26.5 mid-bath, the previous owners left an unmounted 2007 19-inch Toshiba TV/DVD combo.  Apparently it (or something else was mounted to the right side of the outside of the closet (passenger side).

There are a couple of small holes and about a three-inch circular hole in the wall.  I'm not sure what the construction of the wall is, but it looks like laminated wood. When I look at the hole from the inside of the closet, there's the outside wood with an airspace of about two inches - then there's another piece of wood.

I'm concerned that the outside panel of wood won't support something that weights about 30 lbs.  I'm thinking that's why the Toshiba was removed.

I'd like to mount the Toshiba (or a different TV and DVD player) in the same (or general area) since the previous owners already used the right top inside of the closet to run various cords/wires.  However, I don't want to stress the closet wall.

My feeling is to put the Toshiba in my bedroom at home (it works great), and to purchase a lighter TV.  I'm looking at a 22-inch Samsung (6.4 lbs) and use a Roku 3500R streaming stick.

I really don't watch a lot of TV, but I do like movies.  (OK, and Downton Abbey...)

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Cheryl

1998 26.5 mid-bath
Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V

Re: Mounting Television...
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 149301
Hi Cheryl,

I mounted a 22" flat screen to thecwardrobe on my '91 22' twin king.  Inside the rear wall was a support stud of about 1"x2".  I mounted a swivel arm with anchor nuts through the wall into that stud.  It seems plenty strong.  My TV weighs 18 pounds.

I made sure the swivel mount is closed and locked against the wall while under way to reduce the stress to only sheer force.  So far it has held great.

I want to emphasize that the inner panel was removed for the operation and anchor nots installed from the backside.  I wouldn't recommend running with the tv held on only by wood screws or lag bolst since I'm sure they would rip out of the wood in little time.

Let us know how it works out for you.

-Bill L.

Re: Mounting Television...
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 149303
Seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to reinforce the wall. I'd cut a few small blocks of wood that would fit into that 3" hole and then slide into the air gap. Slather wood glue on the blocks and slide them in, top, sides and bottom.

One might also use polyurethane foam spray or "Gorilla" glue, but then it would be good to put a clamp the two walls together through that hole so the glue or foam doesn't force the walls apart when it tries to expand as it cures.

bumper

Yonder '05 MB
Minden, NV
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer