Skip to main content
Topic: Hard Wired Backup Camera and introduction (Read 21 times) previous topic - next topic
Hard Wired Backup Camera and introduction
Yahoo Message Number: 149105
Hi Everyone,

We are picking up our 2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 M on Friday near Seattle. Of course we have a million questions but one of the first things we'd like to do is get a good camera/Nav for the rig. So I'm putting this out to the experts - any suggestions on brand and where to get it done? I hate to admit that I was only slightly aware of the Lazy Daze and we literally stumbled upon this one. We have fallen in love. Also, are there any groups or owners up here in Washington? Thanks in advance. I'll be pestering folks here for awhile.
2005 MB

Re: Hard Wired Backup Camera and introduction
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 149109
Hi and Welcome to the group (cult).  We don't have a camera on our MB, so I can't help you with that decision.  If you can't find a nearby owners' group, you're welcome to join the North East group.  You might need to drive a bit to the GTGs!  Bob
2011 MB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 149110
Contact Pete Reed at weereeds AT msn DOT com for information on the Northwest Lazy Daze group.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 149111
I got the rear view camera option when I purchased "Yonder", '05 MB. Recently installed a RVS (Rear View Safety) system on my Kubota tractor with cameras front and back. Totally eclipses the one on my LD in terms of quality, definition, etc. Costco on-line is selling RVS, at least on-line, for $200.

1 Backup Camera System with 7" LCD Screen by Rear View Safety

As far as wiring is concerned, mounting the cam centered and above the rear window is best. On the MB, it's easy to get the wiring forward by running it through the cabinetry on the pax side.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can cut off one of the pre-wired plugs from the provided cable and then only have to drill very small holes to run the wire. The wiring is 5 conductor, with the yellow video wire shielded with a plain stranded copper wire wrap that needs to be spliced too, so six total if you want the microphone function that's built into the cams.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 149113
Debra

Congratulations on the new rig.
You live in the middle of the Northwest Lazy Daze group territory. They have several GTGs each year..
I'm sure someone will get in touch. We see several of them every year at the Yahoo West GTG in March.

Backup cameras are so nice, especially if you tow.
For best performance and dependability, hard-wired systems are hard to beat The monitors can be mounted in several places- in the sun visor, on the console or in place of the rear view mirror. The visor mount is very close and doesn't work well with older eyes.
Both the console or rear view mirror mounts work well.

Below is the last camera I installed. It has a good sized monitor, bright colors and the camera has LED illuminators, light the area in back of the MH for a good 50' http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GM5GKO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It's the same package that bumper wrote about earlier. It does have a three channel multiplexer so two more camera can be added.
Other systems support split screen monitors. Installed dual cameras on a friend's Class-A MH, with a camera at each corner, for better viewing when passing and towing, the possibilities are almost endless.
I would like a roof mounted camera to spot tree branches, when entering overgrown campgrounds.

There are a lot choices today.

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 149114
Thanks to all for the welcome and information. We'll see how it is to back up first before drilling any holes! Or at the very least, have a pro do it. With our layout and all the windows in the back, it might not be too bad. Can't wait to get out on the road!

Debra
2005 MB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 149119
We don't use a camera, we use a Fresnel lens we got at LD on our 2004 MB.  Since there are nearly always two of us in the rig, my wife serves as spotter using our agreed hand signals.  Took us a year or two to get it right!