Skip to main content
Topic: Chassis battery (Read 17 times) previous topic - next topic
Chassis battery
Yahoo Message Number: 149043
Hi Group; There was recent talk about engine batteries.  Mine is 8 years old, still works fine, but I will be leaving Saugerties, NY in 3 weeks for another winter in the SW.  I do not want to push my luck and am aiming to replace the battery in the next week or two.  I wish to ask if there are any problems doing this myself?  Can the computer be messed up or will it readjust itself as I drive?  A write up man at the local Ford dealership wants $250 to do the job with a battery costing $130!  Gave me a big talk about messing up the computer...  I like the Duracell battery at Sams which has more CCA's, is cheaper, and has the same 3 year warranty as the Ford product.  I still have to get to Sears to get info and prices on the battery recently recommended by Andy.
So, can I do this myself or trust Sams or Sears?  Anything to watch out for besides the proper alignment of the cables?

Thanks, Mike
2007 RK

Re: Chassis battery
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 149044
You can replace yourself but the battery will weigh quit a bit. Will be easier if you can get a friend to help lift into the tray. That's what I did on my 01 V10. I had no problems with the computer or otherwise. Mine battery failed with no warning. Luckily there was a Costco close by and I have a Toad. I brought old battery with me to avoid the core charge.

Bob 01 23.5 TK with toys

Re: Chassis battery
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 149045
I had my 5-year-old Deka starting battery replaced this morning with Larry's recommendation, this Die Hard Platinum AGM:

http://www.diehard.com/products/automotive

This battery is not cheap; the total, including battery cost (the store price was $224.99; I got a "discount" to $203.00, which covered the installation fee), CA sales tax, and an installation fee of $20.00, was $242.00. Replacing an engine battery is certainly not difficult, but the Die Hard weighs 60 pounds, and hefting it into the elevated engine compartment is a job for a young person with a kidney belt.

The Die Hard was "fresh" (at least, it was shipped 9-14 according to the date on the casing), and it's rated for 950 CCA; it should start "first kick" in even the coldest weather.

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home