Skip to main content
Topic: Escape Hatch Vent Lids (18 x 25 Elixer) for 2001 L D. (Read 37 times) previous topic - next topic
Escape Hatch Vent Lids (18 x 25 Elixer) for 2001 L D.
Yahoo Message Number: 149021
Are these lids still commercially available or only from the Lazy Daze factory?

Aad Rommelse
2001 MB

Re: Escape Hatch Vent Lids (18 x 25 Elixer) for 2001 L D.
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 149022
I called Vince about a month ago about the availability of the overcab hatch cover (for my 2003); at the time, the factory had none in stock, but were waiting for a delivery. I haven't followed up with this, but, if you call the factory, please post their response. Thanks.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 149023
I had the escape hatch cover replaced at a well-stocked RV shop in Auburn CA. They are not an LD exclusive part, at least for my 01 TK model.

Bob

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 149024
Bob,

Thanks Bob. Do you happen to recall the name of this company?

Aad

__
2001 MB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 149026
I have an escape hatch lid in excellent condition, painted white for UV protection, as removed from '05 MB that is always garaged.

Free to good home . . . you pick up in Gardnerville, NV. Will reserve for later pickup - no hurry.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 149028
The vent assemblies/lids are made by Heng's Industries :

http://hengsindustries.com/

Heng's is a wholesaler; the site contains lists of distributors, and doing a search on Google or other using the specific item as a keyword should bring up several retail sources for the particular vent assembly and/or vent cover needed.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 149029
I have always been able to buy escape hatches locally. There are difference between hatches.
Some come with the crank-track and weather stripping already installed and others come without, requiring transferring the track and installing new weather stripping. The ones from LD usually come with everything except the hinge.
The hinge assembly on all replacements needs to be transferred.. Many times, the roof-mounted half of the hinge is gummed up with sealant and it needs to be cut away before the retaining screw can be removed and the hatch slid off the hinge.
The hinge is attached using large pop-rivets. Drill out the rivets, transfer the hinge and use the same size rivet to re-attach. I believe they are 3/16" pop-rivets While you are at it, buy and install a new crank assembly. The teeth on the gears will eventually wear away, leaving you with a hatch that cannot be lifted or secured. Be aware, there are different sized crank assemblies, so match yours to the new.
And to make the hatch replacement even better, line the inside of the new hatch with a couple layers of closed-cell foam to insulate it.  Makes a big difference in hot and cold weather if you use the bunk.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157602104741565/show

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 149031
Thanks for your offer, Bumper. However, the fact that you mentioned that your hatch was painted for UV protection gave me another idea.
 Since most of the repairs that I am doing to our Lazy Daze I have to multiply by two for our daughter's '99 L D, I am also looking at cost a little.
 With the exception of a 2" crack on the back edge and one little crack on a front corner the covcer is still in reasonable decent shape. My thoughts are now to wrap the entire outside vertical edge wit 2" fiberglas tape and epoxy this with several coats and paint.
 Has this ever been done this way? By covering the roof area around the hatch with strips of visqueen, it should not be to messy.

What kind of paint did you use?

Aad
2001 MB

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 149032
I covered mine with some left over tape from sealing my roof seam.  No leaks.  No light either, but cheaper.

Re: [Bulk] Re: [LD] Re: Escape Hatch Vent Lids (18 x 25 Elixer) for
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 149034
Aad,

I would recommend using Eternabond tape: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=eternabond+tape&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=41825194889&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3654959599693558460&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1ip5culn0i_e

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I used Eternabond tape to repair a  couple of stress cracks in our 2001 escape hatch, thinking it would be a  temporary repair until I got a new hatch cover.  The 'temporary' repair has  lasted 4-5 years with no problems and no further spreading of the cracks.   It is simple, just clean the hatch cover with alcohol, and apply the tape.

Barry

Has  this ever been done this way? By covering the roof area around the hatch with  strips of visqueen, it should not be to messy.

What kind of paint did you  use?

Aad
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 149037
Thanks Barry. I never saw your earlier post. However, your idea is a lot easier and less messy to apply than fiberglas tape and epoxy. Besides, I was ready to order some Eternabond tape for some other roof areas. I appreciate your suggestion.

Aad

__
2001 MB

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 149128
Larry and others have mentioned that there are differences in the escape hatch covers. That's true, and it's important. When I had Skylark repainted at the factory this past spring, I also had the escape hatch and shower skylight replaced. The new parts were much thicker and stronger than the old ones.

When I asked about it, Steve Newton explained that the old versions, which were made overseas, had poor UV resistance, so he hired a US company to make hatches and skylights from heavy-gauge ABS plastic specifically to his specs. Steve said the new ones will last a lot longer than the old ones, which in my experience were only good for a few years before they became brittle.

So while you can get a replacement from a local RV dealer, it will most likely not be of the same quality or durability as those being custom-made for Lazy Daze. Having seen the factory's versions, I'd choose them any day.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 149129
"I used Eternabond tape to repair a couple of stress cracks in our 2001 escape hatch, thinking it would be a temporary repair until I got a new hatch cover.  The 'temporary' repair has lasted 4-5 years with no problems and no further spreading of the cracks."

Ditto. I repaired my old escape hatch with Eternabond when it cracked and started leaking, and it kept out the elements for another four or five years before I got around to replacing it.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"