Skip to main content
Topic: Mothball fail... squirrels in engine compartment (Read 24 times) previous topic - next topic
Mothball fail... squirrels in engine compartment
Yahoo Message Number: 148846
A while back there was a thread on getting rid of rodents in the rig.  I replied that I made a mothball sachet and put it in the engine compartment to keep the little buggers out.  Well...

Not only did one make a nest, it put that nest RIGHT ON TOP of my sachet!

While it might be interesting to learn that squirrels have a sense of irony, I still want him out.  I searched the responses from the old thread, but didn't find an answer.  What do you use to keep rodents away while the rig is parked for any length of time?

Thanks, Syndi
2014 TK
The Super Flea

Re: Mothball fail... squirrels in engine compartment
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 148847
This reminds me of the advice to put "faux" owls in fruit trees to keep the rats and squirrels from eating the fruit; yeah, that'll work. Fake owls and mothball sachets and rope light coils and whatever other deterrents people have come up with to prevent rodent incursions just provide a convenient and comfortable perch for the relentless little chewers.

As far as I know, there is no foolproof deterrent against rats, mice, squirrels, and/or other critters which want to get into where they want to get into. The cat is not real thrilled about being tied to the hood latch for rodent patrol, and I'm pretty sure that one's neighbors would take exception to torching off a couple rounds at the critters, to say nothing of the definite risk of making big holes in one's engine - and maybe the cat, if not removed beforehand.

If anyone knows a real life "solution that works" to keep assorted rodents out of the engine compartment and the rig in general (forget the fruit trees; the squirrels had free lunches on the marble-sized peaches and apricots for years until I got smart and took out the trees), let's hear it! ;-)

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 148848
Joan  wrote: If  anyone knows a real life "solution that works" to keep assorted rodents out of  the engine compartment and the rig in general (forget the fruit trees; the  squirrels had free lunches on the marble-sized peaches and apricots for years  until I got smart and took out the trees), let's hear it! ;-)

Hmmm. I'm thinking a couple boa constrictors would do it. When they are  done you'll have to get a mongoose though......
After that I dunno....
Tom

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 148849
If you camp in the desert my experience is no rodents, but watch out for the occasional rattlesnake. I ran over one riding my little Honda couple months ago in NV. chasing friends in Quads. That will give you a rush!

Bob 01 23.5 TK with toys Eagle Point, OR. for a few...

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 148851
Good idea! Maybe I'll just go directly to the mongoose! And really thick gloves!
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 148858
Thinking outside the box...
 Picture this - a piece of canvas or nylon tarp, with a series of bare wires stitched onto the fabric, in an alternating hot-neutral bar pattern 1" apart, large enough to cover most of the area under the engine.  Connect it to an electric fence generator.  Slide it under the engine, weight the corners with stones to hold it flat, and plug it in.  A rodent entering that area would be likely to contact two adjacent wires, leading to a shocking :-) experience.
 No, I am not going to do this.  Rain would short it out.  Wind could fold it, causing a short.  The neighbor's pet might not have a good visit.  It seems like more trouble and expense than it is worth.
 However, if you store your RV indoors such as in a garage or storage space and are having problems with nesting critters, this might be something worth consideration.

Ken F in UT
'08 MB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 148882
I had trouble with some rodents nesting in an old van.  I didn't want them in my RV and got a Black&Decker Electronic Pest Repeller EP1100-A.  It's been in the yard for 1-1/5 years and no sign of the pests.

Dave C29Tioga

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 148890
In desperate situations, you might consider filling the 'valley' on top of the engine with a bag of rat poison, it will give them something to eat instead of your engine. Believe me, rodents can do thousands of dollars worth of damage in short time.
BTW- a squirrel is nothing more than a rat with a bushy tail.

A forum member showed up here a few years ago with most of the engine's wiring and vacuum lines gone, plus half of engine compartment insulation had been removed. It was miracle it ran.
A cute wood rat had taken up housekeeping on top of the engine. The wiring was in the way and insulation made a nice padding for the nest. It had worked hard to haul up a couple hundred acorns. It also hauled up the rat bait I had suggest be placed under the rig. I suspect it died on the drive here from a nibble or two of the bait.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157628789839867/show

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 148896
Please consider the "collateral damage" that often occurs when using poison bait. The poisoned critter will often head off to find water or for whatever reason, and then be eaten by another predator such as an owl.

Better to set traps. And if the trap must be set where it may catch unintended victims, like neighborhood cats, then use live traps.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 148897
Agreed on the use of poison for rodent control; too much chance of "chain reaction" side effects of knocking off pets and other wildlife.

Traps, however, particularly live ones, can also present a problem; a neighbor set live traps for the local skunk population who were "grubbing" (literally; good eating, apparently) up his lawn.  (He did this on his own and not through a "skunk removal service" because he said they charged too much.)  The concept and execution were, unfortunately, flawed; skunks were caught, but the fellow hadn't through through how one safely approaches cages containing trapped and highly annoyed skunks. The skunk truck guy who showed up to do what should have been done in the first place thought this was all very entertaining.

Going by what I see in my yard every night, I think the "remover" took the skunks and whatever other wildlife he had in his truck down to the end of the street and let them loose; maybe it's a way to generate repeat business.

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 148901
" The concept and execution were, unfortunately, flawed; skunks were caught, but the fellow hadn't through through how one safely approaches cages containing t.  The concept and execution were, unfortunately, flawed; skunks were caught, but the fellow hadn't through through how one safely approaches cages containing trapped and highly annoyed skunks.rapped and highly annoyed skunks."

Joan

So, how does one properly remove and dispose of a caught skunk? That has always been a worry as I had relocate animals that have become destructive, either by tearing up plants or chewing up the drip irrigation lines.
I know we have skunks and other animals that come very night and drink the water lily container empty. There is little food or water next door in the wildlife refuge.

I use two Havahart traps and have relocated dozen of squirrels and possums and many raccoons to a nearby wild canyon, hopefully too far away to come back.
I know someday I'm going to find a skunk in the trap. So, other than using a trash can lid as a shield, what's the secret.

Larry
Larry

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 148902
Maybe you could shoot a tranquilizer in the varmint.  If you could somehow wrap the trap in plastic and transport out of city limits a 7mm Mauser should do the trick. I got rid of a coyote that killed my friends dog with it.

Bob 01 23.5 TK with toys

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 148903
No secret; if the situation got too bad, I'd call one of the wildlife relocation services and have *them* put out and pick up the traps to relocate; I'm pretty sure that many communities have "wildlife control" companies. .

The possum and raccoon and squirrel and rat and skunk population in my neighborhood is pretty substantial, particularly in these super dry times, so the odds of snagging a skunk in the Havaheart traps are too high for me to use them for a DIY relocation project. If one does put out cages (and bait, usually pet food) and scores a skunk, the only solution that I know (other than a Hazmat suit) is to take one's chances with throwing a tarp over the cage (really fast!) and hoping for the best. Then, one has to put the skunk in the cage and the tarp, most likely by now covered with pungent spray, in one's *vehicle* and head for the hills! Maybe workable is one has a pickup, but a skunk in a closed vehicle is not my idea of a fun ride.

At least I haven't had coyotes, feral pigs, and rattlesnakes actually in the yard as many have who live a little closer to the hills, but other critters are regular visitors; they're all very adaptable and habituated to humans and suburban life. I have yard motion lights, but the dog has still been sprayed *three* times by skunks which didn't set the lights off. After the first incident, I checked the yard perimeter and the fence with a strong flashlight before letting her out, but still didn't see them in the bushes on two subsequent occasions.

I just live with the "wild kingdom" - and try to be very vigilant to avoid scrubbing "skunk stink" off the dog at 3 in the morning - but if I went with the trap option, I would just make an appointment with the "critter patrol"! But, the animals are like some people's relatives; they keep showing up if they think there's any chance for food, so I took out all the fruit trees but one and have no vegetable garden or bird feeders or water sources to attract animals. They still visit. Unfortunately, *snails* are not on anybody's menu!

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 148904
Joan, what do you use to wash the skunk smell off your dog? I included a reportedly reliable recipe in Eureka, but I've never had occasion to test it.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 148905
" Unfortunately, *snails* are not on anybody's menu!"

Joan

Clean them out with corn meal and then a quick sauté in butter and garlic. Heck, you would pay $15 in a fancy restaurant for an escargot appetizer. Gluten free too.

Or do what our neighbor did many years ago. Our neighborhood had plenty of snails when we moved here 18 years ago. A few years later, the master gardener who lived across the street released a container of microscopic cannibalistic snails whose favorite food was other snails. Have not seen a snail here in over a decade, too bad they didn't eat all the slugs while they were at it.
Not sure what other environmental changes my neighbor orchestrated.

Larry
Larry

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 148906
Re skunks, a neighbor who has relocated several to a nearby lagoon, made a black cover for his Havahart and has never had them spray.   I recently caught one, covered trap with a black garbage bag and transported to lagoon, no problem.

Barb
1992 22' TK

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 148907
The secret is to use a long stick with a tarp or large garbage bag draped towards end of it. Place plastic over trap. Grab covered trap by handle, put in back of open pick up truck and take to wherever. When there, use stick and plastic covered hand to open trap. Skunk will be happy to get away.
Ellen

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 148908
Andy of it is the baking soda hydrogen peroxide mix it wields fine. I usually keep the ingredients on hand. One night I found I had run out of stuff so I used shampoo vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. Either way rinse rinse rinse! The directions I first read said not to do the face. Well um that's where he got sprayed so I did wash him on the face careful of the eyes.
I kept running out of peroxide as I used it fit other things so bought some pre- mixed bottles which only have one use and that works fine also. Same basic ingredients I think Sandy

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 148910
Andy, I've never used the peroxide remedy; as you said, a pre-mixed solution doesn't "keep well", and when one is dealing with a skunked dog, howling, spreading blinding, choking stink in the house, and rubbing her sprayed head and body on the carpet and on me, the last thing I want to do is take time to mix up a potion. (And, peroxide in a dog's eyes is as bad as the skunk spray.)

Fast action is essential: grab the dog (at only 35 pounds, she's easily "liftable"), get her into the shower, close the door, hold her by the collar, and hose her off (a shower wand is essential to this process), head/eyes first as that is where she has taken the hit each time. I soap her down at least three times and keep rinsing until she's as free of stink as she's going to get until the smell wears off. Dealing with a skunked dog is *not* a fun experience, but I hope the last time will *be* the last time; she went out the other night before I saw the skunk, but I yelled, "SKUNK! NO!" and she whipped around and ran back!  The skunk disappeared under the fence. Apparently, she recognized the word and associated it with a series of very unpleasant experiences! Hope the lesson sticks!

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 148911
Joan, your word pictures are WON-derful!  It's almost like being there - except for the excitement of the smell!  ;->

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Re: Mothball fail...now skunks
Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 148912
Oh, yeah, skunk stink permeates and clings to everything, even the cat, who was not involved in the attack; he's not allowed out past a 6 p.m. curfew.  He went through a frenzy of washing himself, gave me baleful, accusing looks, and wouldn't go near the dog for a week. Cats hold grudges, and they're skilled at "punishments"; retribution for the dog was "You stink; back off and stay there." Mine was a dead lizard on my pillow; this is apparently the cat version of a horse's head.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 148917
Our groomer uses Dawn dish soap to get rid of the oil in the skunk spray, then a brew of vinegar and baking soda, not sure the ratio, but just enough so it starts foaming. Seems to work, but may need a second application if the coat is thick - one of her customers had a pair of Huskies who seemed to have a standing date with a skunk, and they required two baths every time...

Pat
The Pearl - 2000 31'
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 148919
White vinegar is a wonderful, versatile product; I use it for all kinds of cleaning jobs. A warm water/vinegar solution does help to reduce the lingering skunk smell after bathing the dog; it also helps to get rid of any soap residue in the animal's fur. Be careful to avoid getting vinegar in the dog's eyes, and drying the interior of its ears really well is a must-do.

An additional note on the peroxide solution remedy to de-skunk a dog;  since I haven't used the remedy, I have no experience with the potential of "bleaching the dog" (and I like my dog in her OEM colors) mentioned in the information in the second link below, but, chemically, it sounds like a very possible result!

http://users.humboldt.edu/wfwood/chemofskunkspray.html

http://users.humboldt.edu/wfwood/deodorize.shtml

Joan
2003 TK has a new home