Skip to main content
Topic: Towing receiver hardware upgrade due to loose, undersized Factory ha (Read 14 times) previous topic - next topic
Towing receiver hardware upgrade due to loose, undersized Factory ha
Yahoo Message Number: 148741
After reporting a couple weeks ago about LD's towing receivers having problems with  breaking undersized hardware, I decided to take a look at our LD's receiver.
Pulling the receiver off, revealed that it had been moving in relationship to the bumper in spite of the bolts being properly torqued. The rear 1/2" bolts were shinny from movement and stretching, they are obviously too weak to do the job. The front 3/4" bolts also showed some signs of movement. Fretting was visible around every bolt hole, indicating motion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fretting_wear https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157647765653660/ The bumper is slightly bent around the receiver, as seen in one of the photos.
To cure the movement problem, the hardware was upgraded from Grade-5 to Grade-8 . The 1/2" bolts were replaced with 9/16" bolts. The odd thing is the rear bolt holes were already drilled to 9/16".
LD could have prevented this problem by spending a few bucks more and installing stronger, properly sized hardware.

1-1/2" wide X 1/4" thick steel straping was used to make longs washer straps to sandwich the bumper and receiver together.
 After the receiver was installed and torqued to specs, two stich welds were placed at the rear of the receiver to lock it down, preventing any movement and reducing the stress on the smaller 9/16" bolts.

If you tow a heavy vehicle, especially if you regularly use rough back roads, consider this upgrade before being forced into making more involved repairs. Bumpers can and do rip open.
Our Jeep weights 4000-lbs, just at the limit of the bumper. Many of you run at the same or higher weight and have long tow-bar shanks which are even more prone to damage.
Also consider strengthening the bumper to frame connection, as outline in the following series of photos.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157605167526411/show

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: Towing receiver hardware upgrade due to loose, undersized Factor
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 148742
Thanks Larry. Although we do not tow any longer, we do carry a scooter on the back. As you may recall I added 2 ea. 1-1/2" angle iron bolted with grade 8 bolts to the frame. So fast the scooter has shown no movement of the hitch connection. However, upon return from Albuquerque I'll upgrade the existing bolts. Aad.
2001 MB

Re: Towing receiver hardware upgrade due to loose, undersized Factor
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 148743
Larry:  Great information and a reminder to check our towing hardware.  I'll be climbing under our rig in the AM.

Bob in Florida  SE 5  30 IB  AE