Skip to main content
Topic: LD to El Camino ratio as a predictor of a potentially good time (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
LD to El Camino ratio as a predictor of a potentially good time
Yahoo Message Number: 148692
Awhile back, my dear spouse observed that whenever LD sightings outnumber El Camino sightings, we can be confident that we've selected a quality destination. For example, on our last trip over to the coast, he saw one (a 27 footer in a parking lot just off I-5), I saw one (a green one lurking in a side street between Morro Bay and Cayucas), and we saw one (a tiny '83 model with a for-sale sign @$4000, with ample period-authentic beach-community rust and authentically weathered paint).

And not a single El Camino.
 That brief trip was an excellent one, and dear spouse's observation proved true once again.
 So now, we're proud to announce that our local ZIP+4 region will soon have a definitely positive Lazy Daze to El Camino ratio, and we have that in writing as of yesterday's mail from Montclair, which means the physical gestation of our '15 LD has progressed from an order form to an actual VIN and a vitual window sticker.
 So, hello and welcome to the world, 2015 E-450 SD CUTAWAY in EXTERIOR OXFORD WHITE INTERIOR PEBBLE NO UPHOLSTERY. I hope the train ride from Ohio to Montclair is scenic and uneventful. The floor plan, colors, and options we've selected will be perfect for your DRW 158" WHEELBASE and 6.8L EFI V10 ENGINE.
 We've picked out a fun and very appropriate name, and a perfect HOA-approved place to park right next to the house.
 I am now going to spend the day goofing off at work looking for images and videos of Monster Truck Motorhomes crushing row upon row of El Caminos with composting toilets.

Re: LD to El Camino ratio as a predictor of a potentially good time
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 148698
And what, pray tell, Gwen, is an "El Camino with a composting toilet" and I am also curious why you chose sightings of this item to help you rank quality destinations? Chevy El Camino?

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 148700
We live near El Camino High and there are several LDs in the neighborhood.
So what does that mean?

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 148701
Ha.
 I don't actually hate El Caminos or wish ill will or destruction upon  them. It's just REALLY REALLY WEIRD to see so many of them here when  they're extinct everywhere else. To drive around here, you would have no idea there have been none of that marque manufactured since 1987, as they are as common (nearly) as lifted pickup trucks.
 "Getting out of town" is just about the favorite activity in these parts, for good reason I might add, and the further out of town you get the less likely you are to see roving gangs of El Caminos, yet the more likely you are to see one or more Lazy Daze. Conversely, an LD sighting within the city limits is rare enough to be notable, and always seems to bring on a startling but temporary sensation of happiness and well being.
 As for the reference to alternative biowaste handling methodlogies, there is some debate in the ivory towers of local academia (such as they are, alas) as to whether it's actually "El Caminos /with/ composting toilets" or "El Caminos /as/ composting toilets". It's a long story, but if the Yahoo Groups search is actually working at the moment you may find enough information in the archives to further muddy the metaphoric waters.
 I can assure all of you that the proposed official name of our new LD (which will not for much longer be "2015 E-450 SD CUTAWAY in EXTERIOR OXFORD WHITE INTERIOR PEBBLE NO UPHOLSTERY") will have nothing whatever to do with either El Caminos or renewable resources. I will drop a hint, however. We ordered it with the Modern paint  scheme, as it virtually guarantees good luck with the remainder of the  ordering process.
 We are hanging onto hope that the actual unveiling will occur at the 2015 Morro Bay get together. Chardonnay will be optional but highly recommended in that instance.
 I'm not doing too well so far today on my search for Lazy Daze Monster Truck El Camino Crushing illustrations, but I did come across an iPhone app that purports to be a 3d RV Motorhome Parking Simulator. http://mbcurl.me/S3VT. If someone with an iPhone can try it out and let me know if it includes El Camino crushing simulations that would be cool.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 148703
HI Larry,
 The Chevy El Camino / Caballero / GMC Sprint is the zombie pickup coupe to which I refer.
 Rancheros are officially TOTALLY OKAY to see anywhere, any time, because they are of the sacred Ford bloodlines.
 No offense to owners of vintage Lazy Daze built upon Chevy, GM, or Dodge (or Fargo, if you happen to be Canadian) cutaways.

Fnord.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 148704
"I did come across an iPhone app that purports to be a 3d RV Motorhome Parking Simulator. http://mbcurl.me/S3VT."

I tried it. Don't waste your time. This looks like an Android app ported to iOS. It's full of ads, including unskippable ones that force you to watch commercials for other products before proceeding to the next game level.

And it's heavily larded with in-app purchases. If you crash (and you will), you can restart the game... for a price. If you want to drive different vehicles, that's another purchase. Everything you do brings up yet another enticement to buy, buy, buy.

If you'll forgive my philosophizing a bit, this is what happens when you want software for free. It ain't pretty, and it ain't fun. Me, I'd rather pay up front and skip all the annoying junk.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 148705
It appears that "2015 E-450 SD CUTAWAY in EXTERIOR OXFORD WHITE INTERIOR PEBBLE NO UPHOLSTERY" may be running Windows Embedded Automotive (not free) rather than Linux (free as in speech and free as in beer) according to Connected Car Technology: Driving Innovation | Microsoft

My old boss related many a white-knuckle experience operating the fancy car he bought as soon as the ink on the IPO was dry, watching the car's Windows CE-based computer rebooting randomly as he cruised down the freeway.

We've come a long way (or so I hope) since Tech Wreck 2000.

How did this suddenly veer back on topic?

Re: Ford Sync to QNX ratio as a predictor of a potentially good time
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 148706
Well, this free versus paid software philosophy sent me right down the rabbit hole and back on topic, sort of.
 I was curious to find out which operating system Ford uses for their embedded computers. Most of them run Ford Sync, which is based on Windows Embedded, but according to Wikipedia (always an authoritative source) they also offer Ford Work Solutions on their commercial vehicles, including the E-series and F-series, which is developed by something called Magneti Marelli, a subsidiary of Fiat.
 There are lots of references to Ford Sync in the PDF owner's manual I downloaded awhile back, and (so far) no references to Ford Work Solutions on the virtual window sticker we downloaded last night, but either way it's like a choice between the frying pan (Windows) and the fire (Fiat) as far as mission-critical software is concerned.
 Ford seems to agree, and (probably too late for "2015 E-450 SD CUTAWAY in EXTERIOR OXFORD WHITE INTERIOR PEBBLE NO UPHOLSTERY" with official name coming soon) is teaming up with BlackBerry to use their open-source QNX platform instead according to Computer World:  http://mbcurl.me/S41W which will add either "reactor core" or "sweet bliss" to the frying pan/fire metaphor.
 Andy: Yeah, the Motorhome Parking Simulator is a piece o' compost. I gave it a whirl on one of the corporate iPads and it's nasty. Unfortunately (speaking now as a software professional) all it proves is that there's no direct correlation between price and usefulness in the world of computing, as opposed to the world of built-to-order motorhomes.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 148708
Hmmmm...Thanks for the response - I think. I must have missed (or skipped) the earlier muddied metaphoric waters posts.

Chris

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 148709
Chris,

if you are confused... remember that this is the enlightened individual who wanted to remove the LD comode to install a composting toilet.... just let it go....nothing to look at here...just move on..

SK
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 148710
Sorry, I would have thought at my age I could finally dispense with the Mirth Control Pills, but I stand corrected ;-)

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 148714
Don't tar all free apps with the same brush. I've used three free ones for my main programs for over a decade: Seamonkey (same code as Firefox and Thunderbird - browser, email, web sites, and more), Foxit Reader (PDF reader and annotator), and Open Office (the open source equivalent of MS Office). These work flawlessly on my new Samsung ATIV 9+ laptop, while two commercial programs I paid for (Quicken and Photoshop Elements) do not work properly with the Samsung's high dpi (1800 x 3200) display. "The next release" due "Real Soon Now" will fix these problems - eyup!

Eric Greenwell
  [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote, On 9/26/2014 1:28 PM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 148715
What, exactly, go you get for the NO UPHOLSTERY option? I'm imagining bare foam cushions in a heap on the floor.

Eric Greenwell
  [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote, On 9/26/2014 6:55 AM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 148716
Obviously you haven't heard of the hit reality TV show "Project Driveway" -- the pilot episode JUST HAPPENED TO FEATURE the Lazy Daze Mothership Interior Design Strike Force Dream Team Pro Gold versus the Yahoo Vandwellers list. By the end of the first commercial break, the viewer poll ($1.50 per call*) had already predicted the winner, needless to say.

Dirt's not the only thing those LD seat covers are good at hiding.
 * Not to imply that the Wilson Sleek 4G Universal SmarTech III Cell Phone/Hotspot Cradle Signal Booster gave Team Lazy Daze an unfair advantage over those guys living down by the river, of course... we totally won this on our own merits.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 148717
Call me crazy but that whole reply made no sense to me at all. Am I missing something here.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 148718
"What, exactly, go you get for the NO UPHOLSTERY option? "

Eric
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 148720
I think the poster, kadovnotVODKA, has been nipping on the vodak she promotes in her forum name.

Chris

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 148724
Thanks Chris. I thought I was losing it.
Dale from Downey.
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.