Skip to main content
Topic: RV Parking at Phoenix Airport? (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
RV Parking at Phoenix Airport?
Yahoo Message Number: 148474
Is there RV parking at Phoenix Airport?  I will be picking up my granddaughter (adult) and am trying to figure out how to pick her up.  If there is not RV parking, does anyone have a suggestion of where I could park close to the airport and then have her take a taxi to meet me.  Or, should I just leave the RV at a campground and rent a car?  Thank you for any suggestions.

Monica
Monica
2017 MB

Re: RV Parking at Phoenix Airport?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 148475
Don't know if there is RV parking @ airport but there is a cell lot you could use then when she is outside and calls then go to pick her up or even park at one of the many lots and take the shuttle for cars is $5 (or was last time I used) might be more for RV and free shuttle unless you tip driver.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 148476
We took a taxi; picked up the adult kids and took another taxi back to the campground.  No worries about directions, traffic, where to park, or what we might run into with overhangs and low clearances lying in wait.
 For the return to the airport, they took another taxi on their own.  Perfect!

Judie

Non-typical brevity because this is being .  :-)

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 148477
I don't know anything about Phoenix, but I faced a similar problem in Miami.  My solution was to have the passenger walk to the hotel and car rental shuttle area.  Many of them use vehicles that are larger than a LD so getting in and out wasn't a problem.

Rich '03 MB in NC
2003 MB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 148478
If you want to consider one night in a motel like the Best Western Airport Inn, there would be plenty of parking for the RV, and a free shuttle back and forth to the airport. AND a free breakfast. :-)

Dick

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 148483
When we picked up our extended family arriving in Milwaukee, we timed our arrival in our 06 MB to their exiting the arrival area of the airport. We used our phones to keep in touch after they landed, and just drove up to the passenger pick-up area and loaded the passengers and all their luggage. It worked out very well.

Barry "O" - 06MB - Ruby Red
2006 27' MidBath

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 148484
You also could park in the Walmart parking lot in Tempe on Priest Drive.  I think the taxi fare would be about $30 or so.  But the idea of parking in the phone lot at the airport and then driving the loop to pickup would work well.  Make sure she tells you which door to do the pickup and of course which terminal.  In terminal 4 (South West, US Airways) the pickup exits/doors are in the baggage area, probably the same in the other terminals.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 148487
That takes some pretty fancy timing. We can't even do it with a car. We usually end up playing ring around the rosy for a while. It's especially difficult to time if the person you are picking up has to wait for their baggage. We have made many trips to Sky Harbor to pick people up. It's never easy. That's why we like to take a shuttle from somewhere else so we can just wait inside the airport until they are ready. Then we all get back on the shuttle and go wherever we are staying.

Dick

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 148489
With cell phones being so prevalent these days, it should be easy enough for the arrivees to acquire their luggage and go out to the pick up area.  Then they can call the retrievers to start the engine for pick up.  Should go smoothly if everyone is aware of how things are arranged in the airport.  A couple of circles around isn't the end of the world, either, though.

I like the idea of staying in a local motel that provides free airport shuttle service.  The high cost of taxi service these days would probably come close to an overnight in a moderately-priced motel, depending on the distance, of course, from a campground where you are staying, to the airport.  At a medical facility where I was yesterday, there was a transport van whose rates were marked on the side as:

$ 2.50 - flag drop $ 2.00 - each additional mile $28.00 - PER HOUR traffic delay

A quick wander through Google produced "average" rates at a random Phoenix airport Motel 6 as $45..  So, one could take one's RV to the motel, and stay in the parking lot in the rig, utilizing the facilities as necessary in the room, and take advantage of the (if free) shuttle service.  Hmmmm - sounds better than sleeping in their beds!  Having a motel room might be good for the arrivee(s) to freshen up, rest, and/or spend the first night before embarking on an RV trip.

Three couples of us were once traveling together in two rigs.  The third couple rented a room in a motel for the night, and the other two rigs were quite welcomed to spend the night in the parking lot.  We hadn't really planned for this, but the desk clerk suggested it when we asked where a nearby campground might be for the two rigs.  This actually worked out quite well.  But, mind you, this was back in the 90's.  Not sure if this sort of thing is still allowed.

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 148490
Call the airport and ask if they have a cellphone waiting area where you  could park while waiting for a pickup call from your granddaughter.  Some  of the airports have a rather crude, somewhat limited parking area marked  something like "cellphone waiting area" fairly close, on the road to or from the  airport.  If this is the case, and you both have cellphones, you could park  there and wait for her call when her plane arrives.
IF the access road to the pickup area in front of the terminal has  sufficient clearance for your LD, that ought to work.
Good Luck

RonC

================== Is there RV parking at Phoenix Airport? I will be picking up my  granddaughter (adult) and am trying to figure out how to pick her up. If there  is not RV parking, does anyone have a suggestion of where I could park close to  the airport and then have her take a taxi to meet me. Or, should I just leave  the RV at a campground and rent a car? Thank you for any suggestions.

Monica

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 148491
Standing outside waiting for pickup when it's 112F in the shade is no picnic.  Especially for older folks.  And you really need to be outside so that the pickup vehicle can see you in all the traffic.  Best if you can go directly from the air conditioned airport building to an air conditioned vehicle with minimum lag time.  My comments are directed only at Sky Harbor airport.  Much different in other cities.

Dick

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 148492
Have you given thought to finding a location off site and have the arrivals brought there in an air conditioned taxi.
May solve all issues.

TKS

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 148539
Off topic. Hope you got through the weather ok.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

RV Parking at Phoenix Airport?
Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 148481
There is a large lot that is called economy parking at the Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix.   It is a large lot about .5 miles from the main terminals.  It has a shuttle bus that takes you to the terminal.  There is room there to park a motorhome in the Northeast side of the parking area.  However, I do not know if motorhomes are allowed.  You would have to call them.

David LD  2005 30ft IB