Skip to main content
Topic: Absent LDs (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Absent LDs
Yahoo Message Number: 148308
We have owned two LDs over the past eight years.  Living in the east, it was not unexpected that we did not see other LDs as we traveled, however, we have seen them when visiting family in California in the past. Having said this, I am surprised that we have not seen any LDs during our current trip.  We left NC a month ago, drove to Ca. and then to Banff, and are now back in Montana before heading back to NC.  We have not seen one other LD during this 5,000 miles.  It would appear that most of the LD owners move about in Ca. and the southwest except maybe for an occasional adventure to the "outside".
 With respect to some of the comments about "quality" in brands, I have not owned other brands so my observations are limited.  We bought our 04 26.5 MB with 24,000 miles on it a couple of years ago and have had only minor issues so far.  It just turned 40,000 miles and will have about 44,000 when we are home again.  I don't know that LD is the best on the road, but we are satisfied that our choice was a good one.

Hoping to see other LDs on the way home.

Jim, NC

Re: Absent LDs
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 148309
It would appear that most of the LD owners move about in Ca. and the southwest except maybe for an occasional adventure to the "outside".

--- I think that many LD owners do as you suggest, but I know of several LDers who are on the roads in various regions of the U.S. and Canada right now, either as travelers or fulltimers; AFAIK, none are in California at this moment. And, I know a few more who have traveled in the "outside" within the last year, often for months at a time.

They're out there, maybe just not where *you* were at a particular time! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 148310
You must travel at different times.  We have been LD owners since 92 and we now live in Oregon.  We have spent the last 15 summers in Montana during July and August.  The winters, November to April in CA and AZ.

Just missing you!  Our 92 had 120,000 miles when we sold it, 2001 when we got #2.  Sold it in 2013 with 140,000 miles and #3, a  2011 has 33,000 miles, and we are planning on spending Sept and Oct in CA.  They just keep going and going.

Penny

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 148311
"It would appear that most of the LD owners move about in Ca. and the southwest except maybe for an occasional adventure to the "outside"."

I can't speak for others but I avoid CA as much as possible in my LD. I make an exception for the yearly Morro Bay event or to have Larry Wade work on my LD or Jeep or maybe Honda. I prefer NV, AZ, NM, or OR for the better roads, less crowds, and lots of desert to boondock in. Each to their own.

Bob 01 23.5 TK with toys in tow.

"When wealth is lost, nothing is lost" "When health is lost, something is lost" "When character is lost, all is lost"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 148314
We're  going the other way,  Left CA the end of May, 3 wks in NC, then up to ME, now central WA along US 2.   Saw LDs Winnemucca in June, 2  in Asheville, NC, and just missed 3 in Bismarck ND.  Will be looking for more down the coast on US 101.

Maybe we'll run into you in NC next summer.
Joel

content snipped for brevity.........
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 148323
Jim,
 If you wand to see a dozen or more LDs, join us at the Fall Get-together at Cloudland Canyon State Park in the Northwest corner of Georgia. For orientation, that is just South of Chattanooga, TN.   The SE LD group will be there  October 6 -- 10 and you'd be more than welcome.

Alex Rutchka, SE #4 '05 MB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 148335
Wouldn't you know, right after posting that we had not seen a LD on our trip through the western U.S. and BC we ran across one parked in a state park near Whitefish, Mt.  Stopped to say hello but no one was there and we were just checking out the park which was full.  The LD was white/grey E350 Ford with Ca lic plate.

Jim, NC

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 148371
Hey Jim:  There are at least two LD Groups that you can partake of there LD GTGs (Get Togethers) - the Southeast Group and/or the Northeast Group.  We are members of the SE Group and have also attended Northeast Group GTGs.  The SE Group has a GTG coming up soon.  Let me know if you would like to attend.  The SE Group is also already planning on their Spring of 2015 GTG in Crystal River, Florida.

By the way, we are hanging out in the NC mountains this year owing to some medical issues. We have seen two LDs on the road thus far this year.

Save Travel,  Bob SE 5