Skip to main content
Topic: washing and waxing (Read 46 times) previous topic - next topic
washing and waxing
Yahoo Message Number: 148258
Just spent the last three days washing and waxing.   So as is my habit I'm now going to ask what others do.

I washed the whole LD with a warm mild carwash washing  solution.   Then applied , in the shade of course,  FinishKare Ultra Polymer Sealant #2180.  My favorite spot was under the front overhang.    I put a blanket on the hood., laid on my back with my wife holding a ladder with my feet pushed against the ladder legs.   I would recommend that if you use this method you make sure your wife really likes you.  *B-) cool

Glen Pro Re Nata

Pro Re Nata He said -----

View on prorenatacd.blogspot...

right
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Re: washing and waxing
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 148262
I agree about this product.  I now use it on all our cars.  As all know, California is in a drought. Once a week I quickly go over the cars, it takes about 10 minutes a car. No water used and great results.   Ed

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 148274
I agree re WashWaxAll and heartily recommend it. I use it on my 40-ft diesel pusher and can do the whole coach, windows and all (but minus the roof), in under 90 minutes using about 4 ozs of the product. People are always assuming my coach is new.

Gary Allen SOB Williamsburg VA "Life in the Bus Lane"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 148276
I'm curious, Gary, how do you manage to use only 4 oz of the product over such a large area? I have never tried this product but have seen good reviews. Has anyone used it and been disappointed?

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 148292
"I'm curious, Gary, how do you manage to use only 4 oz of the product over such a large area? I have never tried this product but have seen good reviews. Has anyone used it and been disappointed?"

This isn't Gary, but I agree with Gary about the quantity.  The company has several videos on YouTube that you can watch. You spray a small amount on the rig and go to work with the wet pad then flip it to the dry side.  They have a real good method of removing the bug splashes, too.  Again, seek out the videos and company web site.  As to anyone disappointed with I, I can't say but it sure seems like lots of folks like it.  We probably use 3 to 4 ounces of product on our IB-30 when doing the whole rig.

Another really NICE thing is that it eliminates the dreaded gymnastics involved in cleaning under the overhead.

Dan 2007 IB-30
2007 IB-30

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 148294
Do we know if this is the same company that makes the Aero 303 cleaner products?  We've been using that successfully for many years - ever since Joan mentioned it.

The whole kit is quite expensive, but the telescoping pole has its use for those for whom ladders might be a problem, or a danger.  Two slow-moving snail people might even be able to get a 26-foot RB done in less than a day, yah?  ;->

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 148295
I don't think 303 Aerospace Protectant and Wash Wax are produced by the same companies; the Wash Wax site shows the parent company as "Aero Cosmetics" (Maybe they offer a smaller mop for facials?) while 303 is is one of this company's products:

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/303-products

303 used to be listed under www.303products.com , and that link will still lead to the parent site, i.e., "Golden Eagle". I haven't looked for the MSDS for either, but, AFAIK, 303 contains no petroleum distillates; don't know about the Wash Wax products.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 148298
Actually . . . they DO.  On a video I watched, the demonstrator guy said that their bug remover sponge is the same sponge used by women for exfoliating.

Here's the URL to that video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY3mv4U0Nt8>

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 148299
I'm sold  on the stuff for traveling.

I bought 2 bottles of the stuff while waiting for delivery of our 31 IB last April. Put a coat on before our  shakedown cruise.   Now, 3 months into our cruise,  I am just over half way thru the first bottle.  It is a concentrate and makes a 16:1 dilution.  Their recommended process of using a damp  applicator cloth then dry cloth works well.   I will go over the rig with damp/dry routine with just water to keep the dust down  between treatment applications.
 I bought a set of Costco microfiber towels (20 in the lot I think) but have been reusing and cleaning a half dozen.   I have only once had the chance to hose the RV down before cleaning.  Haven't done the roof yet, tho'

joel

Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 148300
Thanks to everyone for the opinions/experiences. I might just give it a try.
 Joel, better check before using it on the roof. Could make it unsafe to walk on (slippery). Over the 11 yrs of ownership of our 31', I've only hosed it off or used diluted cleaner (Simple Green) for tough spots. It still looks very good.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 148302
Thanks.   What I meant was I haven't washed the roof this trip.
I have a 4-step ladder that gets me up to the top, everywhere but the front of the overhang.   That part I get from the roof.
I find cleaning is a two step job.  Shady sides (2) in the morning,  shady sides (2) in the afternoon.  Avoid doing it in the hot sun- it dries too quickly.

joel

Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 148306
Yes - what Dan said! The fluid is good stuff, but the application device borders on genius.

Gary Allen SOB Williamsburg VA

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 148307
Joel, WashWaxAll is used full-strength and the secret of doing the whole enchilada with about 4 ozs (sometimes less, believe it or not) is the clever applicator shown on the videos. You CAN use it as a traditional spray-on, wipe-off with handheld towels treatment (and I do on occasion for small areas) but you'll use a lot more AND work a LOT harder.
$200 or so for the complete start-up kit may seem like a lot. You'll think it's cheap after you use it a few times. BTW, that first gallon of the blue stuff that came with the kit lasted me about 16 months - and again, on a 40-ft class A.
I've probably "sold" 8-10 of these kits by showing it to folks who see me using it and ask about it. And again, I'm just a satisfied customer.

Gary Allen SOB Williamsburg VA

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 148329
To the users of the Wash All product.  Do any of you have the "Deluxe Mop Pole"?  How long is it.  At 5'6" and ever shrinking with age I am vertically challenged enough to wonder if the kit is a good deal or should I just get the items that work for me?  As Joan mentioned the good pole is $$$$ and not something I would want to bring in the rv.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 148340
YMMV & FWIW: I am a firm believer in hosing an RV down frequently, washing it occasionally and paying to have it throughly waxed once a year.  Steve Newton's advice to me on how to maintain my 2004 LD's exterior and paint: "wash it".
 I absolutely NEVER use any "dry" or semi-dry cleaning process that can scratch and literally "sand" painted surfaces with a zillion visible and invisible, near-microscopic size, gritty granules.
 After 4 months parked in the Keys flush up alongside Florida Bay, with occasional winter northers and constant salt laden air, my 44 foot diesel pusher with 4 extended slides, up on extended HWH lifters, was virtually rust-free.  A daily quick hosing with plain water and a weekly check-and-spray with Boeshield did the trick. When I sold it after owning it 4 years it looked brand new.

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 148342
Again YMMV:  Yes, I'd be comfortable using this product ... but only AFTER first thoroughly washing the RV, as described below on the manufacturer's website.  I'd NEVER use it by "spraying it directly on the dirty surface".

"Wash Wax ALL is a multi-surface cleaner and wax in one product. It can be used two ways; as a "waterless wash," by spraying it directly on the dirty surface, and then wiping it off; or it can be used as a "wax as you dry" product, where you spray the Wash Wax ALL on the wet surface as you dry the vehicle, after a hose and bucket washing".

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 148343
Bob:

Please tell us about Boeshield. I don't think this is used commonly in SoCal, and maybe it should be if you live near the beach.

Kevin
Kevin Lindsay
2000 Lazy Daze 30 IB

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 148345
I used it forever on my boats in the Keys and on my RVs.  It was originated by Boeing for aircraft corrosion protection.
I used T-9 but I see that variants are available now. I know nothing about them.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Boeshield
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 148382
I bought the whole kit with the pole, and although I'm not where I can measure it at the moment, I can tell you that I'm 4'11" and the pole works great for me. I highly recommend getting it. The bug remover thingy fits on the pole as well, and I can finally get the bugs off the cabover myself without relying on one of my tall nephews to do it for me.

Also, since it's a telescoping pole, at its shortest length it works well for smaller vehicles, and gets the job done much more quickly than just using the rags.

Fern

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 148393
how is it on the decals. my 03FL's are in perfect shape and I also use FinishKare 2180. I had to replace tehe decals on my 84 Rear Lounge after only 3 years (edges pealed) and never want to do that again. So I'm Leary about changing products?

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 148421
"To the users of the Wash All product.  Do any of you have the "Deluxe Mop Pole"?  How long is it.  At 5'6" and ever shrinking with age I am vertically challenged enough to wonder if the kit is a good deal or should I just get the items that work for me?  As Joan mentioned the good pole is $$$$ and not something I would want to bring in the rv."

I have the "Deluxe Pole."  Just measured it.  Collapsed: 4' 2".  Fully extended: 9' 6".  I keep the cleaning heads and the pole stored in my rear pass-through storage area.  I keep the WashWaxAll products stored separately in the nice storage bag that came with the kit.

There has been discussion about not using the product directly on the painted surface of your LD lest you grind the particulate matter into the paint, thus scratching it.  In reality, if you spray the product directly on a dusty surface, the particulates are emulsified and lifted from the surface by the liquid before the wet pad ever touches the LD's painted surface.  My method is to carefully use a California Car Duster on my LD before any of the WashWaxAll product is applied.

I am also the owner of a classic car on which I spent a lot of money on a paint job that has rewarded me with quite a few awards in competition.  Here's what the pros do:  never use water to wash your car.  The only two products ever used for cleaning the classic are WashWaxAll and Meguiar's "Last Touch".  This Meguiar's product is well worth your attention, too - but maybe another discussion.

The only thing I ever got from using a bit of water on the LD was streaks and water spots.  They are mostly gone now but I don't use water any more to wash the LD.

Other Aero Cosmetics products I use are their Degreaser, Rubber Care and Cabin Cleaner.  If you follow their method for cleaning tires, you will have beautiful, clean tires on your LD.  The Rubber Care product does not use petroleum distillates.  Their Cabin Cleaner is perfect for lifting spots from upholstery.  Love it.

I sound like a salesman for their company, but I'm not.  Just a very satisfied consumer.

All the best, Dan 2007 IB-30
2007 IB-30

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 148564
Dan and those that replied,

Thanks very much for the replies.  On your suggestion I ordered the RV kit from Amazon.  I needed wax anyway and was about to order a gallon of spray on detailer from PIMA Products.  My real interest was the pole.  I was thinking of ordering just the pole but by the time I added up the other supplies I needed it was better for me to order the kit.
The pole is actually a nicely made bit of kit.  It is very strong.  It is made of aluminum and the head is not plastic so I believe it will not be as prone to failure as the ones that cost less typically found in auto supply stores.
I just got in from doing the top 2/3s of the shady and back sides of the MidBath.  I did them dry to test the bug buster and black streak claims.  I am very impressed.  I did not do the lower third because I drove home from FL in the rain so I left the ugliest areas for later - after a soap wash.
The combination of equipment and chemicals makes the job much easier.  Living on the east coast the RV often has a lot of road grime from the rain that always hits on the way home.  So I will likely stick with a hose down, soap wash, another hose down and mostly use this product as a wet detailer/wax of sort of clean pain to cut down of scratching the paint.  That said, I would have no qualms about using while on the road on the leading edges and upper 2/3 of the rest of the paint.  The rest on a case by case need.

It doesn't hurt that chemicals, pole and other items I looks at all seem to be made in the USA.  Note I am not opposed to buying foreign but do try to spend my dollars local first.
Over all I am very impressed! Thanks for the tip.

John D about to visit a bunch of other LDers in PA.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath