Skip to main content
Topic: Fabric Wear on 2010 MB (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic
Fabric Wear on 2010 MB
Yahoo Message Number: 148200
We have a 2010 MB that has the black/grey geometric pattern for upholstery . It is not wearing well at all ! Couch etc is covered for the dog but the dinette seats show pilling on the back and seat. Complained after we had it about 6 mos and company replaced the dinette fabric at no charge...that was nice...
Does anyone else have this problem as the problem is showing up again. Dog is not the issue and no kids sliding around?? Thanks Dean 2010 MB
2010 Mid Bath

Re: Fabric Wear on 2010 MB
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 148222
We have also had the pilling problem with the upholstery in our 2010 MB.  The problem is mostly in the dinette area, but also on the couches.  We will probably need to take some corrective action in the next couple of years, but have not yet decided on a course of action.  My understanding is that LD's upholstery supplier (Butterfields Interiors) went out of business somewhere around 2008 and the upholstery quality has gone downhill since then.  The upholstery problem with our current rig is especially disappointing given that we previously owned a 1994 LD for 13 years, traveling much of that time with two sons, and did not have any upholstery issues. We have never traveled with pets, so that has not been a contributing factor.

Paul
Paul
2010 MB (2011-present)                                                                                        
1994 Multiplan (1997-2010)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 148223
Just curious if the upholstery fabric "pill" problem mentioned is limited to one particular color and/or one particular model year? What has the factory said when owners have contacted them about the premature wear?

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 148224
I think the problem is in the fabric itself, not the workmanship by the current upholsterer.
 We replaced the covers on the sofa seats ('06 MB, tan "theme") and on the dinette seats 2 years ago.  We found significant pilling on those areas, but nothing to be concerned with on the backs of those 2 areas.
 In terms of wear on the original seats, the 2007  9-week trip from CA to ME as our maiden voyage was the shortest trip we've ever taken.  We leave ME in October and return in May literally 7 months later.  So lots of sitting and sleeping on those seat cushions.
 No children, no pets, no smoking, although there was the Red Wine Incident of 2010.
 Since I knew I could never get the same fabric (patterns are discontinued all the time and LD was showing a new range of fabrics-colors) as the  original, I went with a solid color.
 I bought the fabric through the decorator who helped me with 2 houses.  While getting the right color was important, we immediately eliminated any fabrics without a very high double rub count (this used to be known as "sits") which accounts for durability, in addition to the actual fibers/fiber mix used.  The width of the fabric was quite generous which allowed less to be used.
 We then had a marine upholsterer supply the new foam* and make the slipcovers with zippers, nonskid fabric underneath, cording around all 4 seats, and 4 small throw pillows.  It was pricey, but high quality all the way.
 *We were able to try out various foam combinations in the workroom to determine which was most comfortable for sitting and sleeping (as we sleep on the oversize king the 2 sofas will make into).
 We have been very happy with the new upholstery.  While we had to put "Wild  Thing" in storage for that next winter, we did do a 7-month (usual for us) voyage Oct 2013-May 2014 with no additional upholstery concerns.  The same is planned for 2014-2015.

I would suggest to anyone looking to replace the fabric that they take fabric they may be thinking about and go out into the sunlight with it and a cushion...one will be surprised by what one sees and thinks about their choice.  We were going for a nice rich brown or tan to complement the existing LD upholstery and found that the deep merlot color found in the original pattern was the one we went with in the end.

Maybe more than you ever cared to know.

TinaP 2006 MB "Wild Thing"...coming home from her summer vacation in a few days
2006 MB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 148225
The upholstery in our 2010 MB is the tan geometric pattern.  The factory had one dinette cushion reupholstered for us shortly after pickup (no charge to us) because the seams were splitting.  We have not contacted the factory about the pilling problem.

Paul
Paul
2010 MB (2011-present)                                                                                        

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 148227
Maybe more than you ever cared to know.

--- No; good, useful information. Thanks. ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 148350
Dean, We have a 2010 RB with the tan/brown fabric which has held up like new for the 63K miles we have traveled so far. Maybe your pattern is a different quality fabric.
Mike
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 148375
Thanks to everyone for the response on fabric wear.....doesn't seem I am alone with wear questions. I think it is this particular fabric,  I am going to stop at the Factory on our way back to the Coachella Valley and discuss.

Dean Ansley
2010 Mid Bath

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 148400
Dean, Please post a summary of what you learn at the factory.
Thanks,

Paul
Paul
2010 MB (2011-present)