Skip to main content
Topic: City water line noise (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic
City water line noise
Yahoo Message Number: 148180
When I hook up to 'city' water I hear a noise when the faucets are turned on.  This happens with both the faucets and the shower head.   I have pulled and cleaned the filter at the RV side.
Any thoughts?

Glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Re: City water line noise
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 148182
When I hook up to 'city' water I hear a noise when the faucets are  turned on.  This happens with both the faucets and the shower head.   I  have pulled and cleaned the filter at the RV side.
Any thoughts?

Glen
 If it is just one faucet it may be the screw that holds the washer on is loose and the washer is viberating.
 It could be in he check valve at the city water connection. Something is loose and viberating.

George

retired plumber

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 148189
Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction.   It was the check value in the LD.  As an aside always wear safety glasses ..... When I pushed in the check value to check operation a 'bit' of water came out.   Today I got a second face washing.
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 148191
I have the same condition.  I get a high pitched whining sound at any of the faucets when I am on city water.  If its the check valve how do you correct the problem? thanks, Larry P.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 148192
Have you tried using a water pressure regulator? Available at most RV supply stores, including Camping World, Walmart, et al.  Seems to help in our 22' MB, "Mistress Dazee" and also in our first, a 1984 20' MB.  Cheers, Alexandra

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 148195
Sorry I wasn't clear.
The check valve is in the rv 'city' inlet. It seems to be a spring loaded one way valve. What I did is push on the valve till it released water back at me. So either use safety glasses or stand off to the side.
After that treatment I no longer have noise when using 'city' water.  I'm guessing this is a fix that may be used many times in the future.

Glen
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 148297
I have the same issue on our 3013  31 IB, and have since starting our trip in late May.   The city inlet comes in just behind the toilet in the bathroom and appears to be the source of the noise.  There is a frame  screwed into the wall/floor there that would appear to provide access to the area. I have not looked into it yet but will do so at the end of our excursion- after a chat with Vince at the mother ship.  So, it goes in  the pending file til October. joel Currently overlooking Grand Coulee, WA

Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 148304
I found the fix in my rig.   Seems there is a spring loaded one way water valve in the city water inlet.   It seem to get off centered or so at times.   I pushed it in and about a little.   One thing to keep in mind is water will come out when you push this value in.    Stand to the side unless you'd like to have a face full of water.

Glen
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 148312
If you'll forgive a facile answer, there's an easy solution to this problem: don't connect to city water. Many experienced RVers fill the freshwater tank, draw from it until it gets low, and then refill. For me, that's every two and a half weeks. Even if you have to do it once a week, it's no big deal.

You'll avoid all the drawbacks of connecting to city water (burst or frozen hoses, algae growth in hoses, etc. You won't need to use a pressure regulator. And the next time hookups aren't available, you won't have to use water that's been stagnating in your tank for who knows how long.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 148313
As Andy has stated don't hook up to city water. If hooked to a pressurized water source the first time you are gone from RV and a hose or fitting starts leaking you will come back to a nightmare.

Also your tank water will be fresh from constant use. The LD has a large water tank so this isn't much of a hassle. If you enjoy an occasional long shower do it in an RV park or backpacker facility. Escapees parks have nice facilities for this.

Also always carry a spare water pump for coach. They are easy to change and the recent models like the revolution usually only last a few years.

Bob 01 23.5 TK with toys in tow Pahrump, NV Escapees park for a few...

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 148315
Thanks all,  that solved the noise for the moment.
Tried it with the water off, worked nicely til I turned the pump on.   Got a small spray leak.   Adjusted to get a big spray leak, and finally twiddled til no leak.

No leak, no sqeak, no complaints of which to speak. joel

Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 148333
I'll second that suggestion.  We're not as thrifty with water as Andy is, but for health reasons, we run our water through an elaborate water softener and mega filtering system so that our water is as clean as possible.  So that is another reason to fill the tank and use it up.  Still, we try to remember to always turn off the pump whenever we leave the rig.

Virtual hugs,

Judie