Skip to main content
Topic: lighting gas burner on atwood stove (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic
lighting gas burner on atwood stove
Yahoo Message Number: 148151
My burner on the stove(Atwood)will not work/light  from the sparker.   The sparker makes a spark(and is close enough to ignite the propane gas).   There is propane gas to the burner coming out, but it will not light.   Nonetheless I still have to use an external lighter to start the burner.  Any ideas on how to make the sparker work, or do I always have to use an external source to light the burner.

David 2005 30 IB

Re: lighting gas burner on atwood stove
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 148155
We have been faced with this lightning problem already years ago. We just use an external lighter. We are so used to this now that we do not even know any better.                              Aad
2001 MB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 148160
David, according to Atwood you need to clean the tips of the igniter with rubbing alcohol in order to keep them clean. This should do the trick. A frequent cleaning should solve the problem. Safe travels, john leach Co.

My burner on the stove(Atwood)will not work/light  from the sparker.   The sparker makes a spark(and is close enough to ignite the propane gas).   There is propane gas to the burner coming out, but it will not light.   Nonetheless I still have to use an external lighter to start the burner.  Any ideas on how to make the sparker work, or do I always have to use an external source to light the burner.

David 2005 30 IB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 148165
Any ideas on how to make the sparker work, or do I always have to use an external source to light the burner.
---- The sparker on the stove of my 2003 died a long time back, about the same time as the snap-off of the wussy little "tab" that was supposed to keep the stovetop in place. I tried cleaning the sparker igniter tip; nada.  Using a butane stove lighter is far more convenient, for me, anyway.
 The Atwood stove (at least the one in my 2003; maybe they've improved?) is poorly designed and cheaply made;  the stovetop tab was ridiculously weak, pushing the "springloaded" stovetop into place often results in pinched or sliced fingers (even after the tab snapped off), and the stove grate legs chew through rubber grommets; the trashed grommets then drop under the stovetop. (I buy 1/4" grommets at Ace by the dozen; the HOLES in the stovetop are slightly bigger than the grommets, but I haven't found any 3/8" grommets!)

Are the stovetops and grates in newer LDs still black enamel?

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 148177
On our 2005 RB, this vexing problem turned into a real project.  Amazingly, this problem manifested on only one burner.

Hubby studied the situation, spent hours on the internet finding and ordering all new parts, meticulously cleaned everything within a hundred miles, and installed the new parts.  No change.

He moved all of the new parts to a different burner, and used the parts from the working burner on the non-working burner.  Unfortunately now he can't remember which burner then worked.  I'm pretty sure we got the recalcitrant burner to work, but had to sacrifice a different one to do so.  The one that wasn't working was the burner that I used the most, so it was nice to have that feature active.  This was one of the smaller, back burners.  The front one works fine, but I need to haul out the flame thrower if I am going to use the naughty one.

Now you'd think that all of the burners would perform the same, wouldn'tcha?

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com