Skip to main content
Topic: Chipmunk in LD (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic
Chipmunk in LD
Yahoo Message Number: 148140
Has anyone had a problem with rodents getting into their LD? We are in a campground that has lots of chipmunks and have been very careful about keeping the door closed. Feeling certain they would not be able to get in, I have watched them climb on the underside of the LD (especially the engine compartment) trying to get in but always eventually coming down. This morning we were outside enjoying the sun when my wife went inside an found one on the bed. After chasing it out I looked all around the underside of the LD finding no obvious place the critter could have got in. I suppose there might be some way he could have got from the engine compartment to the underside of the dash, but I would think if there were a opening there we would feel a draft while driving. I think it might be possible the little access door for the screen latch might have been left open and critter jumped four feet in the air to it and came in. My wife doesn't buy that and is very worried. Any thoughts?  Fred, 2010 MB

Re: Chipmunk in LD
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 148141
Yes!  They make nests in your engine compartment, chew through wires and even make nests in the generator compartment.  They use the insulation material from both places to make comfy nests.  They chew through wires and short out stuff in that compartment.  A major problem.  We have learned to be careful before leaving an area all is safe.  Traps are a sure solution.  Have tried sonic units, with little promise.  Even cedar shavings!   Good luck! Penny

Has anyone had a problem with rodents getting into their LD? We are in a campground that has lots of chipmunks and have been very careful about keeping the door closed. Feeling certain they would not be able to get in, I have watched them climb on the underside of the LD (especially the engine compartment) trying to get in but always eventually coming down. This morning we were outside enjoying the sun when my wife went inside an found one on the bed. After chasing it out I looked all around the underside of the LD finding no obvious place the critter could have got in. I suppose there might be some way he could have got from the engine compartment to the underside of the dash, but I would think if there were a opening there we would feel a draft while driving. I think it might be possible the little access door for the screen latch might have been left open and critter jumped four feet in the air to it and came in. My wife doesn't buy that and is very  worried. Any thoughts?  Fred, 2010 MB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 148144
Yes I believe you are right and I should be concerned about nesting rodents. Right now my biggest concern is how that chipmunk got into the passenger compartment with all doors closed.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 148145
If you are brave enough and sure he/she isn't rabid, get inside and he/she will likely try to exit the same way he entered!
2007 30' TB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 148146
Been there; done that!  We ended up having to use an electronic trap for the wily pack rat that invaded our Lazy Daze's engine compartment.  Never found any signs of inside intrusion, but he sure chewed the heck out of our wiring, etc..  Our homeowner's insurance policy covered the loss, but we had a thousand dollar deductible!  Ouch!  The full amount was about $1600. to get the damage repaired.

We tried every humane way we could think of to capture and release this exceedingly smart rodent, but basically we just produced a pack rat feeding station.  Eventually we just went for the electronic version of the old-fashioned Victor Rat Trap.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1390378&KPID=1145289&pla=pla_1145289>

It was sad to see his little body; he was just happily doing what pack rats do . . .  sniff!

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 148147
Hi Fred,
 Glad to learn that you are enjoying that midbath we talked about last year.

A great rodent deterent is spelled...CAT. As for how that chipmunk got in, who knows. I am always amazed at how many folks leave doors, storage compartments, and windows open.

Years ago, we were in Arches Nat. Pk. and saw a small German motorhome with the owner peering under the hood. Curious about the rig , I walked over to see if they were having a problem. The lady told me they were having rodent issues and she was placing mousetraps in the engine compartment. Next morning when I was out for a walk, she saw me and held up 3 fingers indicating she caught three that night. Not sure the Park Service would be happy to find out.

Make sure all your exterior storage comparments are closing tightly.

Good luck, Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 148150
There's a fairly easy path from the engine compartment to the cab by way of the fender. Open the cab door on either side and look down the inside of the fender, and you'll see the light.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 148152
Andy, I see that gap between the fender and outside of the cab wall, but  I still don't see a path from that gap into the cab with the door closed. Fred

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 148154
Someone mentioned that having a CAT would be a deterrent - does anyone know if dogs work the same way? Would the scent of a dog discourage potential rodents from coming close to the MH?
 Also, are problems less likely if one moves frequently, or doesn't that make a difference?

Are problems also applicable to the toads?
 Are problems more common in remote campsites vs commercial campgrounds?
 Just trying to come up with a strategy to avoid this as we are heading south into Texas in October for about 5 weeks.

Todd '99 Lazy Daze RB and '02 Honda CRV
Todd (and Steve)
'17 Winnebago Minnie Winnie and '13 Honda CRV
(Former '99 RB owners from 2012-2016)

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 148167
I have 2 Yorkies who would love a chance at one of the critters .... But no ! We have some travel friends who had one get in their old GMC coach, problem was they had 2 Jack Russels. We left the camp for a 2 hour drive. By the time they got back to the coach, the wiring was gone from under the dash, most upholstered surfaces were torn up, and several pleated shades were gone. But the critter was also among the debris.

What's the answer, I don't know. But it is a good question
20 + MH's since 1977 incl...
Past
FMC, 2x GMC's, Foretravel, 2x LD
Present
1996 LD RB under restoration, my project to keep me off the streets.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 148176
Fred, if your screen door is screen on the outside of the door, the little  varmint could jump onto the screen at the bottom, then climb up and through  the access door.  It would only have to be open an inch or so.
 If a pit bull dog can climb an 8 ft. cyclone fence (been there, seen that),  a chipmunk ought to be able to climb a few feet up a screen door.  The  folks with the pit bulls had to put a horizontal section on the top of the  kennel fence to keep them in.

Good Luck.......or should I say' "Break a leg"? RonC

Mon  Aug 25, 2014 2:44 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

Has  anyone had a problem with rodents getting into their LD? We are in a campground  that has lots of chipmunks and have been very careful about keeping the door  closed. Feeling certain they would not be able to get in, I have watched them  climb on the underside of the LD (especially the engine compartment) trying to  get in but always eventually coming down. This morning we were outside enjoying  the sun when my wife went inside an found one on the bed. After chasing it out I  looked all around the underside of the LD finding no obvious place the critter  could have got in. I suppose there might be some way he could have got from the  engine compartment to the underside of the dash, but I would think if there were  a opening there we would feel a draft while driving. I think it might be  possible the little access door for the screen latch might have been left open  and critter jumped four feet in the air to it and came in. My wife doesn't buy  that and is very worried. Any thoughts? Fred, 2010 MB

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 148183
"Would the scent of a dog discourage potential rodents from coming close to the MH?"

It didn't work for at least one Chihuahua owner I know, who has chronic rodent problems in her Sunseeker motorhome.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 148199
I make little balls with mothballs wrapped in cheesecloth and put them around the engine compartment when the rig is parked for any length of time outside our house.  We have about 50 different kinds of squirrels around here that all want to nest in the engine compartment.  This seems to work.

I have no suggestions about the ones already  inside.

Syndi

2014 TK
The Super Flea

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 148204
Crating and shipping costs from Hawai'i might be prohibitive.  ;->  I'm surprised that the current owner could type so well, considering he may have had a few fingers gnawed off by these little darlings!

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 148205
Just a suggestion... I was told that bars of Irish Spring original soap are a proven mouse deterrent. It's cheap to try anyway, and since leaving a few around whenever I put my LD into storage every summer, I've never had a rodent again. This seems to work for me. Best of all, they can be used over and over again for years! (I don't like the smell of them either!) In the past, my camper van left in San Diego had all the electric lines in the engine chewed up by critters so they had to be replaced before it would start again.

Kristin
'97 MB
1997 MB

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 148207
The description of those cats in Hawaii cracked me up. From the sound of it if they were really boxed and shipped the packaging wouldn't survive. Rugged as it is, I think the LD interior would get trashed.

Must be an easier way. I'm going to try the Irish Spring idea. Seems simple. Something has been eating my generator door insulation but no wiring problems yet....

Bob 01 23.5 TK with toys in tow

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 148234
Rodents can get through tiny spaces.  In my 2001 LD, I noticed that there is a fair amount of space around the outside electrical inlet which I close carefully when i am not using it, however when in use a rodent could probably squeeze in and get into the LD
AlphPup
 2001 TK “Dazi”

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 148240
"In my 2001 LD, I noticed that there is a fair amount of space around the outside electrical inlet"

True. My 1985 had the same vulnerability. That's why in 2002, the factory switched to using a Marinco detachable cord, with a receptacle permanently mounted in the coach's body. That eliminated one possible route, but no doubt there are more.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 148245
Something I found on an google lookup .....
"Predators of chipmunks include hawks, minks, raccoons, weasels, martens, foxes, bobcats, coyotes, red squirrels, cats and large snakes." So I guess the point is you can bring along you large pet snake to keep the population down in your LD.

Glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 148246
of chipmunks include hawks, minks,  raccoons, weasels, martens, foxes, bobcats, coyotes, red squirrels, cats and  large snakes."
 So I guess the point is you can  bring along you large pet snake to keep the population down in your  LD.

Glen

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 148247
True. My 1985 had the same  vulnerability. That's why in 2002, the factory switched to using a Marinco  detachable cord, with a receptacle permanently mounted in the coach's body. That  eliminated one possible route, but no doubt there are  more.

I for one prefer being able to detach the cord  from the MH.  I have not been some where where I needed more than 20 amp  service. The air will work on 20 amp and the charger is never that low that I  need max output. I have not tested the use of both the roof air and the  microwave at the same time (blow a fuse) but if that were to be a problem I would only need to  turn off the air to use the microwave for the short time needed. More than 90% of the shore power is a 1000 watt Honda generator. The microwave will work off the 1000 amp gen even at the higher altitudes and if I want to use the microwave when the small gen is not running I just start the onboard gen. So I made my own cord for 20  amp. Number 12 wire. It plugs into a 20 amp plug/service. The cord is just long  enough (20 feet) to reach the plug inside the garage over head door. That way I can use  the gen or when at home and I want to charge the bat or work on the MH this is  the only cord I need. There is no need to drag out the 30 amp service  cord.

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 148870
I  am a little behind in my response to this subject string as since we are traveling we are not always in touch with the internet.
Several years ago while staying in a NFS campground in the far NW Montana area, there was a big problem with squirrels getting into the engine area of the campers vehicles. Therefore the regulars there partially propped  open the hood with a short 12" to 18" stick or 2X2 board. This allowed light into the engine area thereby discouraging rodent population. It seemed to work for them. I know this leaves the engine area less secure for the 2-legged rodents to take advantage but everything is a trade-off.
For what it is worth----- Mike
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'