Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing the power cord (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic
Replacing the power cord
Yahoo Message Number: 148121
Today, when wrapping up our first-time camping trip with our new to us '97 26.5 MB, our power cord got stuck in our surge protector. After much struggling we managed to separate them, but one of the prongs stayed in the surge protector. I'm assuming because of our LDs age, this power cord is hard wired into our coach and not a removable Marinco cord. Any advice on replacing the cord, where to buy one, and how to access the place to wire it in would be appreciated. We have another trip to go on soon.
Thank you, Marcia & Ed '97 26.5' MB LD

Re: Replacing the power cord
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 148129
Ditto for us. The prongs on our '99 MB are very worn. I've got a new cable, but am completely at a loss to figure out how to access the business end of the cable inside the coach.

Thanks,

Charlie 1999 26.5 MB "Gandalf the Grey"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 148132
Am I missing something here? Why not just replace the plug on the end of  the cord. You could pull out a couple of feet of cord so it would be easy to  work on. Ok, so maybe you lose 6" inches of cord, but aftermarket  plugs if carefully selected can be of better quality and design than the  original cast in plug. The copper is where the money is, why replace all of the  cord? RonB with 'Bluebelle' a '99 TKB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 148134
"Today, when wrapping up our first-time camping trip with our new to us '97 26.5 MB, our power cord got stuck in our surge protector. After much struggling we managed to separate them, but one of the prongs stayed in the surge protector."
 I would suggest having a surge protector hardwired into the A.C. panel input. Three advantages: no stuck power cords, not subject to shorts when hooked up in rainy weather, and the generator output can be wired to run thru surge protector. Plus harder for thieves to steal.

Replacing the power cord will be a pain, and on some models requires appliance removal such as the oven. As others suggested just replace the damaged plug. You can order the 30 amp plug on line, or purchase at an RV store.

Bob 01 23.5 TK with toys in tow.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 148139
Why replace the power cord ? To get rid of a varmint path into your coach ?
20 + MH's since 1977 incl...
Past
FMC, 2x GMC's, Foretravel, 2x LD
Present
1996 LD RB under restoration, my project to keep me off the streets.