Skip to main content
Topic: Fixing a drawer that won't lock. (Read 17 times) previous topic - next topic
Fixing a drawer that won't lock.
Yahoo Message Number: 148026
During our last major RV trip, one of the kitchen drawers in our MB got to the point where it would not catch and lock at all.  On inspection, I discovered that over the years a groove had worn into the locking tab in the front of the drawer slide, preventing it from catching.  I just finished replacing the kitchen slides, took a few pictures, and created a short write-up which I've uploaded to the groups Files section. Files > Maintenance and Repair > LD_drawer_slides.pdf

Maybe this can help somebody else, Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Re: Fixing a drawer that won't lock.
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 148027
Thanks, Art; very useful information!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 148028
Thanks for the info. We need to replace a slide in a kitchen drawer.

Karen

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 148034
Art, great info. Thanks. Have you tested them? Do the new slides prevent them from opening on rougher roads?Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 148036
Sorry no road test report yet!  We won't be using the rig until mid September and I don't know what the roads will throw at us.  But they do catch and hold rather firmly after installing the new slides.  It is definitely better than it was. Art
Art and Barbara
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 148038
Art, My wife and I congratulate you on this nice piece of work.  The PDF is beautiful and the information is great.
Thanks.
Bob and Barbara Shmikler

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 148051
Chris,I bought the replacement slides at LD.  The cabinet mounting part of the slide is 20-3/4" (without bracket).
The slide had "Accuride" stamped on it, and the 1029 series is the only slide on the accuride website that seems to match.  I can't verify that they are identical and that the series 129 has the drawer catch tabs.  It is possible that LD buys a custom version of that slide.  They are $20 apiece from LD.
 Looking at the Accuride 1029 documentation, I'd say that the 1029-121 is the one for the kitchen drawers left of the stove in our MB.  The length of the slide with rear mounting bracket in place is 21-1/2".

HTH, Art
Art and Barbara
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 148053
As Art pointed out, heavily loaded drawers will bend the fixed track, causing the locking pin to wear faster and preventing the lock from engaging.
To keep the track from bending, screw a piece of 1" X 2" wood strapping to the bottom of the track, reinforcing it.
This will adds years of use to an undamaged slide.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 148061
Larry, I assume you mean metal wood strapping? Is this what you mean?http://tinyurl.com/jwlcf25
 I have installed baby safety latches to keep my drawers from sliding open. They work but are a bit of a pain to deal with every time one wants to open a drawer when parked. I'm looking at the new slide that Art recommended.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 148063
" I assume you mean metal wood strapping? Is this what you mean?http://tinyurl.com/jwlcf25"  Chris  No, I meant a piece of 1" X 2" wood.  We are in Victoria, coming back to Port Angeles today, where the LD is sitting in a campground. I will try to get a photo of the slide and the reinforcing piece of wood. It's a very easy project once you go to the home center and buy a 1" X 2" X 4' piece of pine or fir. It will stiffen the light-duty slide, preventing bending. Our tool drawer is loaded way over the rated capacity of the slide and, with the  added wood, still works fine after 12 years.  If you have a delicate touch with a TIG or MIG welder, the worn locking notch can be built up and filed back to the stock dimensions.  Larry
Larry

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 148065
Chris,I think he means screwing a strip of wood on the underside of the cabinet mount part of the slide (the drawer part goes into the top side).  This would definitely add some rigidity to that part of the slide, but that's the stronger of the two parts.  On our drawers, it's the drawer mounted part of the slides that gets bent.
 I'd really be interested to learn if the Accuride 1029-121 is exactly the same as what LD uses.

Art
Art and Barbara
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 148074
Here are two photos showing two ways to reinforce a drawer track, to prevent bending.

1" X 2" fir board screwed to the bottom of the top track.
 The bottom track, between it and the floor, has a single piece of plywood screwed to the floor.

Drawer Slide Reinforcement

Larry
Larry

Fixing a drawer that won't lock
Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 148031
Great article, Art, thanks very much . I've taken the liberty of adding it to the "Drawers" article in the Lazy Daze Companion .

WxToad

Posted by: "older_fossil" no_reply@yahoogroups  . com older_fossil Date: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:16 pm ((PDT))

During our last major RV trip, one of the kitchen drawers in our MB got to the point where it would not catch and lock at all .   On inspection, I discovered that over the years a groove had worn into the locking tab in the front of the drawer slide, preventing it from catching  .   I just finished replacing the kitchen slides, took a few pictures, and created a short write-up which I've uploaded to the groups Files section . Files > Maintenance and Repair > LD_drawer_slides . pdf