Skip to main content
Topic: Eternabond and skylight question (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
Eternabond and skylight question
Yahoo Message Number: 147915
HI all, Just getting ready to do the roof on the '09 MB.  2 quick questions:1) Do I need to clean (after the washing with water/soap) with acetone or denatured alcohol (before putting the tape down)?2) I would like to seal around the skylight. How do I remove the "lid" enough to clean and tape around it?It looks like there are 4 screws with a square drive that might allow its removal, but not sure. Do I even need to try removing it, or just work around it?Thanks. Ken
Former 2009 MB owner

Re: Eternabond and skylight question
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 147918
Yes, the surfaces to be "eternabonded" will need a final prep cleaning with acetone or a solvent which doesn't leave a residue. This link will provide information:
 http://lazydazearticles.blogspot.com/search/label/eternabond

You might also want to do a forum search on the "Eternabond" topic; there are *many* posts.
 Proper surface preparation is critical to the success of the job; if there's any dirt or loose caulking on the surfaces, the Eternabond won't stick. (Or, it will stick to the clean areas and "bubble" over the dirty ones!)   There are no "do-overs" with the stuff; I suggest getting all your "ducks" aligned before starting. ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home