Skip to main content
Topic: MCD window shades (Read 62 times) previous topic - next topic
MCD window shades
Yahoo Message Number: 147884
Has anyone had the MCD day/night non electric window shades installed in their LD. I am considering doing this this Fall when returning home from the western states. I am curious about how they work on the rear outward slanting rear window. Also, just how do they function? Will they fit into the valances? Mike (currently wandering Newfoundland)
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Re: MCD window shades
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 147888
"Has anyone had the MCD day/night non electric window shades installed in their LD. I am considering doing this this Fall when returning home from the western states. I am curious about how they work on the rear outward slanting rear window."

Ditto. I'm also cosidering installing MCD non-electric shades (although unlike Mike, I have no valances to worry about). How do they fare on the slanted rear window?

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 147889
I'd like me some of those shades too. The ones I have now have +100K miles on them.
 People who make/install skylight shades have solved the problem of a shade on an angled wall. I'm sure there is hardware, but I have a painfully slow connection tonight, so can't search for it now. Has anyone talked to MCD to see if they have a solution?

Kathy L.
1999 MB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 147893
I am going to call MCD Monday to give them my window measurements and find out the details of installation & use. I will post my findings later.
Mike
Has anyone talked to MCD to see if they have a solution?

Kathy L.
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 147894
"I am going to call MCD Monday to give them my window measurements and find out the details of installation & use. I will post my findings later."

--- Thank you; I am interested to hear if/how the shade will fit LD's "angled" windows.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 147897
Please do let us know how the MCD shades work out.
Yesterday, we the third shade break in six months, this is getting old.

And a question. I used the last of the shade repair sting on the last shade and need to find a commonly available  string to fix the shade that broke yesterday. We are traveling so ordering parts isn't an option.
The only thing I can think of is braided Dacron fishing line.
Any better suggestions?

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 147898
The Dacron fishing line would probably work if you can find the right diameter; (you know, of course) line is sold according to "weight", so eyeballing for size match is the only way to go. Walmart (one with a good-sized fishing department) or Big 5 Sports or similar carry the line spools. If you do a "fishing line shade kludge", let us know how it works out! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 147900
If there is a J.C. Penney store near you or where you will be passing through, they usually have a large window shade department with all kinds of repair stuff.

Dick

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 147901
"The only thing I can think of is braided Dacron fishing line. Any better suggestions?"

Anything that is the right diameter and reasonably strong will work. You could try the notions departments at larger Walmarts, Michael's, or Jo-Ann Fabrics stores. I once bought replacement cord at one of those--can't remember which. It lasted almost as long as the regular stuff, which is to say "not very."

Like many people here, I'm sick and tired of restringing the accordion blinds--I've done most of them at least four times by now--and the MCD shades look like a good, cord-free alternative.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 147903
I installed MCD shades on 9 windows in our SOB. Valances are no problem. Tiny hands help. Warning! they are not cheap. When our 2011 TK shades break a string, they will be replaced with MCD. They come in Duo or Single. I will use single for our LD. I installed the Duo on the SOB for the solar screen. Not necessary for LD windows. Allen 2011 TK
James Allen Jackson

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 147904
Fabric Depot or any well stocked fabric store.  Window shade cording is,I think, the product   you are looking for.

Glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 147910
"Like many people here, I'm sick and tired of restringing the accordion blinds--I've done most of them at least four times by now--and the MCD shades look like a good, cord-free alternative."

Our 1983 LD had light-proof roll up shades the worked fine. Not sure why they switched to pleated shades.
The 1983's rear window roll up shade was held close to the window with a couple of clips that grabbed the rod at the bottom of the shade.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 147924
"Like many people here, I'm sick and tired of restringing the accordion blinds--I've done most of them at least four times by now--and the MCD shades look like a good, cord-free alternative."
 Luckily my shades are still working okay. When they fail I will look into the window coverings that are one-way.
You can't see in because pictures or holograms are what you see from outside. Inside you can look out fine. This way you always have a view and blinds/shades are unnecessary.
Window Murals and Graphics
 I'm drawing some pictures of the way I would like mine to look from outside. Your imagination is the only limitation as they are available custom made to your graphics.

Bob 01 23.5 TK, Jeep Cherokee toad, Honda 90 Tagalong Crowley Lake, CA for a few...

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 147925
How does one begin a new topic? I continue to be told I'm not authorized.
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 147930
The current pleated shades, as all know, are secured at top *and* bottom. That keeps them from banging around as you drive. There is a discussion underway on RV.Net about how to keep the MCD shades from banging around when driving. No one has figured it out so far. Just how to dampen the noise, not fix the problem.
There are, I suspect, different types of MCD shades but you might want to factor this issue in.

ed
 RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How to stop MCD shades from clanging ??

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How to stop MCD shades fr... RV Blog  |   RV Sales  |   Campgrounds  |   RV Parks  |   RV Club  |   RV Buyers Guide                  |   Roadside Assistance  |   Extended Service Plan  | &nbs...

View on www.rv.net

right

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 147931
"I will look into the window coverings that are one-way. You can't see in because pictures or holograms are what you see from outside."
 Except when it's dark outside and you have lights on inside. Then it works the other way.
 Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a one-way window covering or a one-way mirror. Whoever is on the side that has less light can always see through to the side that has more. Window graphics, like window tints and half-silvered mirror coatings, offer no privacy at night.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 147932
"There is a discussion underway on RV.Net about how to keep the MCD shades from banging around when driving. No one has figured it out so far."
 If you drive with the shades up, there should be nothing clattering--yes? I know that isn't an ideal solution, but it is a solution.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 147934
I don't have any direct personal experience with these shades so I can't answer the question.
You might want to pose this idea  on the RV.net forum to see the actual user experience.

Ed

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 147935
If you drive with the shades up, there should be nothing clattering--yes? I know that isn't an ideal solution, but it is a solution.
---- Why would one drive with the shades down in the first place?  "String stress", the shade pleats bouncing around and stretching out, and the shade banging around are downsides; what "upside" would there be to going down the road with the shades down? I can't think of one; what am I missing?

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 147940
"Why would one drive with the shades down in the first place?"
 There have been a few times when it was so hot that I drove with the side blinds down in order to minimize heat gain. But that's very rare in my experience.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 147942
"Except when it's dark outside and you have lights on inside. Then it works the other way."
 Thank you for correcting me on this Andy. I was unaware of the problem at night and the companies I have talked with about the wraps didn't tell me. I wonder why LOL. In spite of this I will still get one-ways as I want to personalize my LD a little. Guess I'll go to roll up shades like the old time LD's had, if I can find them.

Bob 01 23.5 TK, Jeep Cherokee toad, Honda 90 Tagalong Bodie CA. Ghost Town for a few...

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 147945
I guess they went back to the "old times".  Our 2014 has double roll up shades: a sun shade and a blackout shade.
Syndi

2014 TK
The Super Flea

MCD window shades
Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 147949
I'm also considering installing MCD non-electric shades (although unlike Mike, I have no valances to worry about). How do they fare on the slanted rear window?

Andy Baird

Today I spoke with a technician @ MCD in Texas about the slanted rear window. He said the shade would normally hang straight down which would be about 7-8" away from the bottom window frame, however they could attach velcro to the bottom shade grab rail and the bottom of the window frame to keep the shade closer to the glass.
 MCD does require a reservation for installation normally lasting a week on site. But Joy (in the front office) said that if we can complete the measurements form on their web site and pick the fabric, they could probably do the installation of the manually operated shades in one day (reservation still required). I will possibly opt for both the day & night shades in the cabin area as the sun can still significantly heat up the interior despite the tinted windows. We will be doing the three large windows in the main cabin area and the rear bath window (night shade only). The hourly labor charge is for only the time the installer is inside the coach.
Mike
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'