Skip to main content
Topic: Battery Voltages (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic
Battery Voltages
Yahoo Message Number: 147849
Until now, the only way that we had to monitor our batteries was the voltage on the solar controller.  We have a table that says 12.6+ was fully charged.  Now that the battery monitor provides more information, I want to be sure that I am interpreting it correctly.

We would like to watch the percent charged to be sure that we don't drain the batteries too much.  I can tell the monitor that the batteries are fully charged and the monitor can track the outflow.  However, I need to be sure that the batteries are really fully charged to start.

The LD manual indicates that the converter can reach 13.6-13.8 volts.  The solar charger  (HPV-22B) goes to 13.2 volts for shore power and 14.3 for dry camping.  I think that the generator would flow through the converter.  I don't know what the truck alternator can provide.

As a convenience, the battery monitor will also reset to 100% charged when certain conditions are met: 13.2 volts charging current of less than 4% of capacity (9 amps) these conditions hold for at least 3 minutes

All three of these parameters are adjustable.

Admittedly, I think more in terms of 120 volt circuits, but 9 amps seems like a lot of charging is still going on.

For those of you with battery experience, what voltages and current flows do you typically see when your batteries are fully charged?

I am particularly concerned that in a shaded or low-light situation, the solar charger might produce a low current that would falsely appear to indicate that the battery is fully charged.  Does that seem like a valid concern?

Thanks,

Cliff

Re: Battery Voltages
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 147851
Thanks for posting those tips on the Victron battery monitor, Cliff. I'm sure they'll be helpful to anybody else who tackles this job.

"in a shaded or low-light situation, the solar charger might produce a low current that would falsely appear to indicate that the battery is fully charged."

Good question. I'm not sure whether or not that's a concern... but unless I miss my guess, you can probably disable the automatic-reset feature of the battery monitor and thus avoid the issue.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 147859
I can set the threshold voltage to an impossibly high value (say 20V) and thus disable the automatic reset.  I can't find any simple on/off option.

Doing that, I must, initially at least, tell the monitor when the batteries are fully charged.  With no charging going on, what voltage should I use as my criterion?

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 147874
12.6 is roughly the fully charged voltage when idle and they are not being charged. Around 13.2 is roughly the recommend "float" voltage. You can leave the charger (solar or converter) on all the time at 13.2. The HPV-22B is fine forever in the shore power mode. "Dry camp" 14.2, is close to the "Bulk" or High charge rate. That will over charge the batteries, perhaps damaging them if left at 14.2 for extended periods of time.

-Dave '06 MB, Indianapolis