Skip to main content
Topic: turbo cooler question (Read 15 times) previous topic - next topic
turbo cooler question
Yahoo Message Number: 147808
Can someone explain to me how the turbo cooler works when going up the mountains.  I have a 2005 30foot IB and I also hear that fan coming on when I go up the hell.  Is that cooler fan for the transmission?  Is there an extra fan for the radiator that comes on when going up hills?

David

Re: turbo cooler question
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 147810
David -
 There is no turbo cooler unless you have a turbo charger installed on your engine. Not likely. What you are hearing is the regular radiator fan coming on. The fan normally idles until the temperature of the air coming through the radiator rises to a certain point. It will spin slowly, but it is not connected to the engine. The reason for that is to save fuel by not using engine horsepower to turn the fan when it isn't necessary. When that temperature point is reached, normally because you are climbing a grade, the fan clutch will close and the fan will be driven by the engine. When the temperature drops below the close point the clutch will open and the fan will return to idle again.

Dick

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 147811
Dick:  thanks and you are right. I do not have a turbo charger.  So is there also something to keep the transmission cooler also when going up the hill? I have heard of some rvs that have an extra cooler system for the transmission.  maybe it is not necessary. david

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 147813
Dick;  My 95 lazy daze did not have a fan clutch or maybe it was broken and I did not know it.  The radiator always got a little hotter and the temp gauge would always go up when I was going up a hill. It made me uncomfortable-  I did all the proper radiator maintenance but could never overcome that problem.   That engine was the 460 not the v-10 trition, which I now have. The v-10 always stays cool going up a hill and as you explained the clutch fan comes on to ensure that the radiator stays cool.  I like it. I have much more confidence now going up the steep hills in northern arizona. with my 2005 LD.

David

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 147814
There is no turbo cooler  unless you have a turbo charger installed on your engine.  Not likely.  What you  are hearing is the regular radiator fan coming on.  The fan normally idles until  the temperature of the air coming through the radiator rises to a certain  point.  It will spin slowly, but it is not connected to the engine.  The reason  for that is to save fuel by not using engine horsepower to turn the fan when it  isn't necessary.  When that temperature point is reached, normally because you  are climbing a grade, the fan clutch will close and the fan will be driven by  the engine.  When the temperature drops below the close point the clutch will  open and the fan will return to idle again.

Most drivers do not know what to do when they are climbing a steep grade. I learned this from driving a stick shift and it carries on over to the automatic transmission. With a stick shift of you were in to high of a gear the vehical would start to buck.
 You want to down shift so the engine will not have to work as hard. You need to try and stay in the engines power band. If the temp start to rise and getting near the red mark you need to pull over and let the engine cool down.
 But the best way to get the engine to cool down is not to trun it OFF. This only will help it get hotter.

1. Pull over and get out of traffice.
2. Place the transmission in NURTAL but do not turn the engine OFF
3. DO NOT LET THE ENGINE SET AT AN IDLE.
4. INSTEAD  REV THE ENGINE UP. Get the RPM's of the engine up to 2500 or 3000. This will get the fan to PULL the largest amout of air through the rad, cooling the water. The cool water will be put into the engine and start the cooling of the engine. As you watch the temp guage you will shortly see the temp start to drop. Once the temp is back to normal you can start to climb the hill.
5. Stay in a low gear. Most likely 2nd. Do not allow the engine to over rev.

When the engine is at a LOW RPM the fan is not turning fast and the rad is not cooling. The faster the engine turns the faster the fan turns This will make the most cold water.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 147846
The correct way to figure the tire pressure per axle is to weight the front and back axle. Consult the tables that show the tire pressure needed for that axle to support that amount of weight.  If the tire is over inflated the tires will show more wear in the center and if under inflated they will show more wear on the outer edges. Just before I went to Alaska I had the MH weighted as loaded for the trip; I could not have gotten any more load on the MH. There was no space. Came up with the pressure needed for both axles. That was 65 in the rear and 55 in the front. When I had 65 in the front tires they looked FLAT. I inflated the tires to 80 on both axles. I put 10,500 miles on the NEW tires during this trip. (14 weeks.) When I got back I had the tires rotated and checked and they found no extra ware on any of the tires for tire wear on inside because they were over inflated. The owner before me keep all tires at 80 PSI. There were 50,000 miles on the tires and there was more than 10,000 miles left on the tread ware. 50,000 miles on these tires is the most most people will get.
 Now to the point of the store If there was a small amount of ware on the tires would it make any difference other than the MH may have rode a little harder on bad roads.  VERY VERY few will ever ware the tires out in the 6 to 7 years which is the life of the tires. The added pressure in the tires will increase the mileage. So which is the better way to go. Lose mileage or save the tire wear only to replace the tire before they are down to 3/32. The old tires on the MH  before I replaced the tires still had 10 to 15 thousand miles before they needed to be replaced by ware but they were 8 years old and needed to be replaced by age.
 From what you say about the amount of miles you will put on the tires you will be lucky to get 25,000 miles in the 6 to 7 years. I average 4 to 5 thousand miles per year. So in 7 years I will be lucky to get 35,000 miles on the tires before they are 7 years old and need to be replaced by age.
 SO DO YOU WANT BETTER MILAGE OR HAVE THE TIRES LAST LONGER AND NEED TO REPLACE BECAUSE THEY ARE 7 OR MORE YEARS OLD.

The decision is up to you.
 The last owner had 50,000 miles on the tires but I replaced them because they were in the 8th year. and all on this forum will tell you that after 7 years you are and accident looking for a place to happen.
 You lose a dually and the damage could go well over $5,000to the wheel well alone.

Re: Tire pressure - was turbo cooler question
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 147853
Why do you use Michelin tires, if you do not trust their recommendations for tire pressure? Here's what Michelin says ...
 "Overinflation, on the other hand, will reduce the tire's contact area with the road, which reduces traction, braking ability, and handling. A tire that's overinflated for the weight it's carrying is more prone to a harsh ride, uneven tire wear, and impact damage."

That's on page 1 of this brochure from Michelin:
 https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bcontent/PDF/RV_Tires_Brochure.pdf

You are not doing your tires, your motorhome, or yourself any favors by overinflating your tires.

Here's what they say on tire age, in the same brochure:
 "While most tires will need replacement before they achieve 10 years, it is recommended that any tires in service 10 years or more from the date of manufacture, including spare tires, be replaced with new tires as a simple precaution even if such tires appear serviceable and even if they have not reached the legal wear limit.
For tires that were on an original equipment vehicle (i.e. acquired by the consumer on a new vehicle), follow the vehicle manufacturer's tire replacement recommendations when specified (but not to exceed 10 years)."
 At least if you ignore their tire age advice, it's only cost will be extra money spent, and not the tire's safety.

Eric Greenwell
  [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote, On 8/7/2014 11:34 AM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 147854
I am concerned about the tire pressures you determined, based on your as-measured weight, particularly the 55 psi for the front tires. That corresponds to an axle weight of only 4120 pounds . What model motorhome do you have, and what is the weight for the front axle when it's loaded for traveling?

Eric Greenwell
  [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote, On 8/7/2014 11:34 AM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 147857
Sorry about that. That information was in another posting I made a couple of  week before.
Did not catch it was not here.

MH is a LD 2005 24 foot.  Front dinette rear bath.
Front axle had 3,990 with my weight.   1,995 per  tire = 55 lb air.
Rear axle had 8,560.   2140 per tire = 65 lb per tire.
I  always carry a Honda 1000 gen in the front storage compartment but I though some  one might need it more than me so left it at home and used the onboard gen.  There was also a storeage carrier in the trailer hitch. I only have 2 side storage compartments.
Gas was down 15/20 gallon because I had traveled from Colorado to WY. So you could add 150 to the rear axle.
Way scale was in WY.
The water was full and the holding tank were near empty. As the fresh water goes down the holding tanks will go up.

I am concerned about the  tire pressures you determined, based on your as-measured weight,  particularly the 55 psi for the front tires. That corresponds to an axle  weight of only 4120 pounds . What model motorhome do you have, and what is  the weight for the front axle when it's loaded for traveling?

Eric  Greenwell

spambox41@...  [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote, On 8/7/2014 11:34 AM:

The  
correct way to figure the tire pressure per axle is to weight the

front  
and back axle. Consult the tables that show the tire pressure

needed for  
that axle to support that amount of weight. If the tire is

over inflated  
the tires will show more wear in the center and if under

inflated they  
will show more wear on the outer edges. Just before I

went to Alaska I  
had the MH weighted as loaded for the trip; I could

not have gotten any  
more load on the MH. There was no space. Came up

with the pressure  
needed for both axles. That was 65 in the rear and

55 in the front. When  
I had 65 in the front tires they looked FLAT. I

inflated the tires to 80  
on both axles. I put 10,500 miles on the NEW

tires during this trip. (14  
weeks.) When I got back I had the tires

rotated and checked and they  
found no extra ware on any of the tires

for tire wear on inside because  
they were over inflated. The owner

before me keep all tires at 80 PSI.  
There were 50,000 miles on the

tires and there was more than 10,000  
miles left on the tread ware.

50,000 miles on these tires is the most  
most people will get.

Now to the point of the store If there was  
a small amount of ware on

the tires would it make any difference other  
than the MH may have rode

a little harder on bad roads. VERY VERY few  
will ever ware the tires

out in the 6 to 7 years which is the life of  
the tires. The added

pressure in the tires will increase the mileage. So  
which is the

better way to go. Lose mileage or save the tire wear only  
to replace

the tire before they are down to 3/32. The old tires on the  
MH before

I replaced the tires still had 10 to 15 thousand miles before    they needed to be replaced by ware but they were 8 years old and needed    to be replaced by age.

From what you say about the  
amount of miles you will put on the tires

you will be lucky to get  
25,000 miles in the 6 to 7 years. I average 4

to 5 thousand miles per  
year. So in 7 years I will be lucky to get

35,000 miles on the tires  
before they are 7 years old and need to be

replaced by  
age.

SO DO YOU WANT BETTER MILAGE OR HAVE THE TIRES LAST LONGER  
AND NEED TO

REPLACE BECAUSE THEY ARE 7 OR MORE YEARS  
OLD.

The decision is up to you.

The last owner  
had 50,000 miles on the tires but I replaced them

because they were in  
the 8th year. and all on this forum will tell you

that after 7 years you  
are and accident looking for a place to happen.

You lose a  
dually and the damage could go well over $5,000 to the wheel

well  
alone.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 147858
I prefer Michelin tires more than any other tire. Those are my feeling. And now that I can afford to buy them I have stuck with Michelin. They do cost a little more.
 When I had 65# of air in the front tires it looked like the tires had a leak and were low. I would have been riding on the side walls. Reduce the air in your front tires to 55 # and see what they look like.
 The owner before me had 80# in all tires and he got 50,000 miles and the tires looked good still. You can not argue with that. All the people I run with could not believe the miles on the tires. Being able to get 60 to 65 thousand miles on a set of tires on a MH; No way.

As for tire age:
 All tire manufactures except Michelin state the life of the tire is 6 years. Michelin is the only one that states 10 years. But that is with having the tires inspected. It does not say who is to do the inspection.   Yes I'm well aware of the peace you are referring to.    I brought this up on this forum about 6 ??? months ago. Every one interpited that information as wrong and it is 6 years.
I took a beating from every one on this forum. I finally dropped the subject. I lost.  In fact several said "it is your MH and you life that is in danger; do as you please." as for them they will replace there tires a 6 years.
 Here is a peace from Discount Tires that says the same that I just found.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireLife.dos
 I prefer not to carry the 10 years any further. It will only end in another long drawn out argument.

Tire Life | Average Tire Life | Tire Aging | Life of a Tire | Discount Tire

Tire Life | Average Tire Life | Tire Aging | Life of a T...
The average tire is dependent upon several key factors. To learn more about the tire aging process and how to get the most life out of your tires visit Discount Tire...
 View on Tires & Wheels | Car Tires & Wheels | SUV/Truck Tires & Wheels | Discount Tire

Preview by Yahoo

Why do you use Michelin tires, if you do not trust their recommendations for tire pressure? Here's what Michelin says ...
 "Over inflation, on the other hand, will reduce the tire's contact area with the road, which reduces traction, braking ability, and handling. A tire that's over inflated for the weight it's carrying is more prone to a harsh ride, uneven tire wear, and impact damage."

That's on page 1 of this brochure from Michelin:

https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bcontent/PDF/RV_Tires_Brochure.pdf
 You are not doing your tires, your motorhome, or yourself any favors by overinflating your tires.

Here's what they say on tire age, in the same brochure:
 "While most tires will need replacement before they achieve 10 years, it is recommended that any tires in service 10 years or more from the date of manufacture, including spare tires, be replaced with new tires as a simple precaution even if such tires appear serviceable and even if they have not reached the legal wear limit.
For tires that were on an original equipment vehicle (i.e. acquired by the consumer on a new vehicle), follow the vehicle manufacturer's tire replacement recommendations when specified (but not to exceed 10 years)."
 At least if you ignore their tire age advice, it's only cost will be extra money spent, and not the tire's safety.

Eric Greenwell

spambox41@... [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote, On 8/7/2014 11:34 AM:

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 147876
My present 25' SOB weights require 65 psi in all the tires, according to the Michelin tire charts. The tires look proper to me, with the normal radial sidewall bulge where the tire contacts the pavement. In any case, I don't think it's wise to go by looks instead of tire gauge. It sounds like you think the bulge indicates the tire pressure is too low, rather than recognizing that is normal for a radial tire, as it's a consequence of the design, and that it's an asset, not a liability.
 You've inflated your front tires to 25 psi (45%) over the recommended pressure. Michelin plainly says tire life, impact resistance, steering, and braking are adversely affected by over-inflation - less safe to drive on. Have you also considered that they may become unsafe (that impact resistance warning) in much less than the 6 years you think they are good for?
 Here's a data point: my previous motorhome, a 24' Class C SOB on the E350 chassis used 60 psi in all tires, as recommended by the Michelin tire chart. It's last set of tires went 90,000 miles when I changed them because of age concerns. The tread was still good and wearing evenly.

Eric Greenwell

[lifewithalazydazerv] wrote, On 8/7/2014 10:26 PM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 147880
The turbo cooler thread makes laugh, every LD ever built has a temperature sensitive fan clutch which engages the cooling fan when the air, after it has past through the radiator and oil cooler, reaches a certain temperature. When it engages, you hear and feel the fan spinning.
That' all it is, nothing to be concerned about.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 147885
The turbo cooler thread makes laugh, every LD ever built has a  temperature sensitive fan clutch which engages the cooling fan when the  air, after it has past through the radiator and oil cooler, reaches a  certain temperature. When it engages, you hear and feel the fan  spinning.
That' all it is, nothing to be concerned about.

Larry
 Well, I'm so pleased everyone has had a good laugh at my expense.  When I bought my '02 nearly 13 years ago, I didn't know the difference between AC and DC but I've come a long way since then. That said, obviously, I still have not learned everything. So there really isn't a turbo cooler in there. Hmmmmm...

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB