Skip to main content
Topic: Ford Dealer or Mechanic; Synthetic Oil (Read 25 times) previous topic - next topic
Ford Dealer or Mechanic; Synthetic Oil
Yahoo Message Number: 147707
I am RVing in WA and OR the next weeks.  I will be in Forks, Ocean Shores, and Long Beach, WA; and, in Tillamook, Waldport, Junction City, OR.  I need to have an oil change and brakes checked and probably replaced.  Can anyone recommend a reliable place to have this done around one of these areas.  Also, I've been using synthetic oil. Someone told me that Ford doesn't use synthetic oil.  Would that matter if I went back to regular oil?  I tried searching the files, but couldn't find mechanics.  Thank you in advance for any information.

Monica NE 10
Monica
2017 MB

Re: Ford Dealer or Mechanic; Synthetic Oil
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 147709
Our 2010 E450 uses ALL synthetics for the entire front to back drive train. The transmission fluid change period is now every 60K miles for this reason.
Mike
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 147710
This is just a suggestion, find a "NAPA" certified shop. This way, you'll receive a guarantee and can go to any "NAPA" shop in the nation and have your issue addressed, should you ever have an issue.........

Jim Brenneke
26 1/2 MB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 147711
"I thought Ford ONLY recommends synthetic oil now for all  the v-10s." --- I don't know what Ford recommends *now* between 'synthetic' and 'dino-syn' oil, but following their engineers' recommendations for fluids and 'parts' (for the specific model year's manual from Ford) has worked very well for 86000 virtually mechanically trouble-free miles on my 2003. The only change from the Ford manual's recommendations (that I know of) is that MERCON V replaced MERCON for the transmission and power steering fluids: "Use in automatic and manual transmissions and power steering systems previously serviced with MERCON®."

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 147712
Also,  I've been using synthetic oil. Someone told me that Ford doesn't use synthetic  oil.  Would that matter if I went back to regular oil?  I tried searching the  files, but couldn't find mechanics.  Thank you in advance for any  information.

I do not know who told you Ford does not use synthetic oil but they are all wrong. I have not used old type oils in any auto for over 20 years. It is the only way to fly. I do not have the F450 owners manual here at this time but I checked my 2009 Ford Escape manual and it states to use Premimum syntheic 5w-20. I would not consider using any oil other than syntheic in an engine today. You can pull the dip stick after 3000 miles and it still looks clear.

Can-AM bike engines tell you to use nothing but syntheic oil.

George Retired plumber

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 147714
I just went and got the 2005 owners manual for my LD MH.

There  first recommendation is to use Premium Syntheic 5w20 oil.
 Do not try and  be cheap on oil. It is the life blood of the engine.
 Even if your old  manual does not state to use Syntheic oil it is because syntheic oil was not in  great use at that time. Today it is the best way to go for your engine.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 147715
Transmissions are a different breed though!  Only use the specific fluids recommended by the manufacturer.  Some transmissions have "paper" clutches in them and a wrong fluid will destroy them.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 147716
On page 197 of the 2014 E-SERIES Owner's Manual "use oils certified for gasoline engines by American Petroleum Institute (API)."  And under Capacities and Specifications page 273 'Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Motor Oil'.
Not a single reference to synthetic oil on any page of the manual.

Glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 147717
Dino oil every 3k miles. Never heard of that being a problem.  I think this can be filed under "If it ain't broke...."

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 147718
This information is from Ford's 'oil page'; listed are both a full synthetic 5w-20 and a 'syn-blend' 5w-20, but no specific vehicles or years are listed as using either as recommended oil.

Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
  • Top-quality motor oil for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury passenger cars
  • American Petroleum Institute (API)-certified for gasoline engine service ILSAC GF-5 and meets API SN/Energy Conserving
  • Manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, synthetic base oils that provide good high-temperature and low-temperature performance
  • Helps minimize engine deposits and wear
  • Helps protect against high-temperature oxidation, low-temperature gelling, rust, corrosion and foaming
  • Friction-reducing technology provides excellent wear protection and features energy-conserving characteristics, which offer significant improvement in fuel economy when compared to SAE 5W-30 and 10W-30 motor oils
  • Recommended by Ford Motor Company, meeting warranty requirements
  • Available in one-quart bottles or 55-gallon quantities

Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
  • Premium-quality motor oil for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury passenger cars
  • American Petroleum Institute (API)-certified for gasoline engine service ILSAC GF-5 and meets API SN/Energy Conserving
  • Manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, synthetic/hydroprocessed base oils and specially designed performance additives
  • Helps minimize engine deposits and wear, protect against high-temperature oxidation, low-temperature gelling, rust, corrosion and foaming
  • Friction-reducing technology provides excellent wear protection and features energy-conserving characteristics, which offer significant improvement in fuel economy when compared to SAE 5W-30 and 10W-30 motor oils
  • Has performed in all dynamometer and vehicle-durability tests
  • Recommended by Ford Motor Company and meets warranty requirements
  • Available in one- and five-quart bottles and 55-gallon bulk quantities
  • Use of bulk oil is environmentally proactive and bulk quantities are available at substantial savings

Which oil people choose to use in their vehicles' engines is up to them; I stick with the manual's recommendations because I figure that the people who designed and built the engine know a whole lot more than I do about what it needs!

'Old school', I'm aware, but I change the oil in my vehicles every 3000 miles, so I use the 'syn-blend' that the manual recommends. If reliable, credible/authoritative sources were to prove to me (accurate, quantifiable, scientifically-based information, not hearsay from somebody's brother-in-law's cousin's buddy!) that switching to a full synthetic 5w-20 would guarantee better mileage and longer engine life in my Ford, I'd pay the higher price for synthetic and go for the longer 'change' interval. Since that hasn't happened so far, I go with the 'book'.

As ever, YMMV. ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 147719
I have been using syntactic 5-20 for quite a few years. I have been of the understanding that the time between oil changes is much longer. However, I do not recall at this time where I got my information from, since I am not home at present. Please. correct me when I am wrong. Thanks.
Aad
2001 MB

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 147720
Aad, this may help to clarify the when to change the oil:

How to Change Oil and When to Get an Oil Change

Using my 2003 as an example (YMMV), the Ford truck center (and the manual!) says that a 5000k oil/filter (7500 miles with engines newer than 2008) interval using the 5w-20 dino/syn blend is recommended, and it's 'overkill' to change the oil and filter at 3000k unless one is towing or otherwise 'stressing' the engine. My response is that changing the oil and filter every 3000k miles is the cheapest insurance I can buy to help ensure engine longevity. Yes, it can get a bit pricey; the Ford center that I use charges about 80 bucks, but I do it for a lot less! But, everything about this lifestyle is pricey, so it's suck it up and spend what it takes to go and enjoy or sell the thing. ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 147721
Not to beat a dead horse but the Ford Manual say nothing about syn blend oil requiment.  What it says is syn oil has been used and will not damage the engine.  The recommendation from Ford is simply use the oil that meets the Ford spec.
I would have no problem spending the extra money if needs be.   I have a Ford Truck Dealership do my oil changes.   I,like Joan, will assume they know what is best for a E-450.

Glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 147722
Monica wrote:

I am RVing in WA and OR the next weeks.  I will be in Forks, Ocean Shores, and Long Beach, WA; and, in Tillamook, Waldport, Junction City, OR.  I need to have an oil change and brakes checked and probably replaced.  Can anyone recommend a reliable place to have this done around one of these areas.
Will you be going through Chehalis, WA? I had a very good experience with Uhlmann Ford, 1001 SW Interstate Ave, Chehalis WA 98532, (888) 702-7585.

--Jan Forseth
--
Jan Forseth
2007 27' Midbath named Footloose

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 147727
How long can the synthetic oil be in the vehicle before it needs to be changed.  For example, if the coach is stored for one year and not driven is it still okay.  My mechanic said for synthetic oil it is the miles driven not the time it is in the vehiile.  This is different than normal oil, where oxidation over time can degrade the oil.  Is this true? David 30 ft 2005 IB

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 147728
On page 197 of the 2014 E-SERIES Owner's Manual "use oils certified for gasoline  engines by American Petroleum Institute (API)." And under Capacities and  Specifications page 273 'Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Motor Oil'.
Not a single  reference to synthetic oil on any page of the manual.

In both my 09 Escape and 05 E450 they state Primemun Syntheic oil.
You also need to learn to read and inturpit what they say. API for example: SN, SM and SL. Syntheic oil meet and exceeds these requirements.
 CYA; Cover Your Ass. They need to put some thing in the manuals. So they put change every 3000 miles or 3 months. So if the MH sets for 12 months w/ no miles or starts you should change oil 3 times. Get real. The oil companys love people like you.
 In 2012 I went to Alaska and put over 10,500 miles on the engine. I took one quart of oil and one filter. At 6,700 miles I changed the filter only; not the oil. Added oil to bring the oil up to the full mark because of the oil filter loss. When I got home 14 weeks later the oil was just about as clean on the stick and when I changed it before leaving. Syntheic oil is not like dino oils; it stays clean.
 A lot of 18 wheelers do not change oil. The take a sample and have it tested. When it passes they keep running it to the next time it should be changed then repeat the process. Then keep running with no change.

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 147729
George (milehioutlaw),

You state that you drove to Alaska and back, over 10,000 miles and only changed the oil filter and added enough oil to bring it up to the full line.

If you ever try to sell your rig, I hope you tell perspective purchasers about your maintenance procedures. I  think it would be interesting to see how much the other 5 quarts of oil end up costing you in resale value.

Synthetic lubricants are great but they are not magic. You seem to like quoting the owner's manuals for your vehicles; can you tell me where they state oil changes are unnecessary and all you need to do is change the oil filter and top off the oil?

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 147730
After my question yesterday about oil change intervals and the various responses (some a little to strongly opinionated) I feel comfortable with my oil and filter changes between 5000 and 6000 miles. For quite some time I have been using "5W-20 Mobil-1, Extended Performance" and the "Fram Oil filters PH-2 or when available TG-2". I do my own oil changes and take my time to let the old oil drain from the pan as well as the filter housing.
 Although I am not on friendly terms with my various transmissions (they evidently hate me) my engine has never given me any trouble, with the exception of an in-tank fuel pump replacement. At this time my odometer is approaching 78,000 miles.
 After returning from a water polo event for our grand daughter last night I looked at various websites related to synthetic oil change intervals. One of these was "Edmonds" and the other was "Mobil-1". What did surprise me that, filling out the required data of our rig, Mobil-1 recommended "5W-30 in lieu of 5W-20" as a result of high mileage. Since our rig uses hardly any oil I think I am staying with their 5W-20 Mobil1, extended performance.

I just like to pass this on for an opinion.

Aad
2001 MB

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 147731
The 2015 version is also online now:
 https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/IdentifyVehiclePage&BackToLogin=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

Engine oil 6.0 qt (5.7L)  - see footnotes 3,4,5
 Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend or Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil (U.S.) XO-5W20-QSP or XO-5W20-QFS (U.S.) / WSS-M2C945-A
 3 Use of synthetic or synthetic blend motor oil is not mandatory. Your engine has been designed to use Motorcraft engine oils or equivalent oils that meet Ford specifications. It is also acceptable to use an engine oil of recommended viscosity grade that meets API SN requirements and displays the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines.
 4 Do not use supplemental engine oil additives in your engine. They are unnecessary and could lead to engine damage that is not covered by your Ford warranty.
 5 Do not use API S category oils labeled as SN, SM, SL or lower category unless the label also display the API certification mark. These oils do not meet the requirements of the engine and emission systems.
2015 TK

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 147732
what about time interval versus miles travel.  is there a recommendation on that for synthetic oil.  so if my ld sits for one year--and I only drive 300 miles, can I comfortably continue to use it without changing it because it did not reach 5000 miles? david

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 147733
I do not know about other opinions, David. Our rig never sits idle that long. However, I would definitely change oil and filter, whether full synthetic or not, before I hit the road again.

Aad
2001 MB

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 147734
Aad:  well I agree, but the strange thing is when I look at the oil it looks brand new, crystal clean!   I mean it looks like I just changed it. no discoloring, etc

david

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 147735
You state that you drove to Alaska and  back, over 10,000 miles and only changed the oil filter and added enough oil to  bring it up to the full line.

If you ever try to sell your rig, I hope  you tell perspective purchasers about your maintenance procedures. I  think it  would be interesting to see how much the other 5 quarts of oil end up costing  you in resale value.

Synthetic lubricants are great but they are  not magic. You seem to like quoting the owner's manuals for your vehicles; can  you tell me where they state oil changes are unnecessary and all you need to do  is change the oil filter and top off the oil?

Steve you and others need more knowledge  on today's oil. Below is a peace on the life of oils and how often the oil  change inter volts is changing.

Change Intervals for a New  Car
 How often you change your engine oil depends primarily upon the  frequency of your car usage, conditions in which you drive, and the design of  the engine. Ford and GM have set a standard interval for oil changes at 7500  miles. This is the same for most new cars. However, for high mileage vehicles,  it is mostly recommended that you change the oil every 5000 to 7500 miles or  once a year (whichever is earlier). It is mostly dependent on the manual which  the car manufacturers provide. Many new manufacturers recommend an oil change as  late as 10000 to 12000 miles. Nowadays, most new cars have an oil service  reminder light to let you know when an oil change is actually necessary. Under  ideal driving conditions, like 10 miles everyday on a proper highway, you may  not get the signal for a long time. On the other hand, if you drive your car on  dusty roads, in hot weather, or in traffic (involving a lot of starts and  stops), this change interval reduces. This is termed as severe service driving,  and if you have a passenger car (or a light truck with diesel engine), the  intervals can be as short as 3000 miles or six months (whichever is earlier).  Also, if you prefer using synthetic oil (use the same if your car manufacturer  recommends it) over conventional oil for a new car, then the oil can be changed  after as many as 12000 to 15000 miles.
 Nowadays, the latest oil  monitoring technology checks the condition of your engine oil using electronic  sensing. Also, there are many companies like Oil Analyzers Inc., Blackstone  Labs, and Insight Services, which provide oil analysis services where they take  a sample of your oil and recommend whether a change is required or not. You can  have your engine oil analyzed at the intervals of 3000, 5000, 7500, and 10000  miles. It costs less than USD 25, providing a cost-effective way for you to get  your oil checked.
Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/when-should-you-change-your-engine-oil.html

Most fleet trucking company's  (18 Wheelers) today do not go by time or mileage. They send a sample of the oil out and have is analyzed. The report tells them to change oil or keep running the oil. When there trucks are using upward of 20 quarts this is the way to go. They will go 25,000+ miles on an oil change. For volume they can have this done for $15 per engine. For users like us the cost is $25. You have to retrieve the oil sample and send it to the lab. This plus the cost of $25 the easy way is to change the 6 quarts of oil, filter and be done. I can change the oil and filter for about $30. I change the oil once a year in the fall with 4 to 5 thousand miles. Alaska was the exception. If I toot the MH to a gurage and they screwed some thing up I'm the one with the problem. My ant was on the way home from FL in 2013 (A winter stay)and the transmission went out on her tow. She had no choice but to have it replaced at a small gurage. They replaced the trans but put the wrong oil in. Cost over $3,000. When she got home it was not shifting like it should. She took it to a dealer gurage. They had to replace the trans oil. She was lucky the place that replaced the transmission  did agree to pay for there mistake.

How many owners use places like Jiffy  lube or Walt Mart. This is the last place to go. They do not drain the oil they suck the oil out through the dip stick hole. This does not get all the used oil out. They could leave as much as a quart of oil and the sludge it the bottom of the pan is never removed. My brother worked there. I know better. Some dealers also do it this way. It is quick and safe for them. Do not need to put the vehicle on a lift. They do not touch the drain plug so they are not responsible for an $8.00  worker who may strip the plug or not replace the ring gasket.
If Ford were to tell you 15,000 miles there are owners that would go even further  and use a cheep dino oil and a $4 filter. Ford would be replacing engines or in law suites every day. So they say 3000  miles and there reasonability ends there. This also gets you in there where they can find more work to do. Changing your oil brings in tons of added work. I took my new Escape in for the first oil change which was free. The write up person had all sorts of added work he wanted to do. Even replace the wiper blades. They had little to no use and were less than 2 months old. He had the free oil change up to $200.  This man was good, he was  making his days wages up on the first customer in the door. Even wanted to rotate the tires. I was surprised he did not want to sell me new tires.
One time I took the Dodge van in for some warranty work and they had me convinced that the REAR axle (front wheel drive) was out of line and needed to be corrected. They are good. I put 30,000 more miles on the tires before replacing. The tires still did not show an alignment problem. They love women and a lot of men who eat  this shitt up and have it all done.

Question: Do you fall into this trap? ? ? ? ??