Skip to main content
Topic: Parking RV on grasss (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
Parking RV on grasss
Yahoo Message Number: 147676

I have concrete driveway that runs in front of house for extra parking from a detached garage.  When I park the mid bath LD in front of house on driveway I pretty much block the entire view of  our house.  I suspect this annoys neighbors who probably already dislike my parking RV at home.  Driveway is parallel to road.  Front of house is on ravine so garage and house entry is really back of house and an ally.
 Recently Instead of blocking entire house I backed up into driveway; however, this arrangement means that the RV behind the back dual tires extends over grass.   Because this allows a nice view of house it's much more visually pleasing and easier to get RV out and on to ally as well as level when stationary.
 Disadvantage the back of Rv extends over grass (back bed room only)   Question:  should I be concerned about moisture and possible rust damage long term?  All tires and engine are on concrete so maybe this arrangement works?   Or should I install plastic barrier and gravel instead of grass.  Longer term I might extend concrete.   I'm in Ohio weather so this is one lonely Lazy Daze.  Folks think it's some kind of 1950s restore although 2001 year.

LarryD
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Re: Parking RV on grasss
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 147679
I don't think this really answers your question, but we had a similar issue parking our RV on the side of our garage. The back end extended over grass, though all tires were on pavement. I hadn't even thought about the moisture concern, as we were simply concerned about the fact that the grass under the rear end was dying and looked rather unattractive. We solved that by landscaping, specifically by tearing up the grass and extending a bark-covered garden bed the width of the driveway. We thought about gravel, as well, but in our case the bark works with adjacent landscaping much better. Have no idea if moisture will become a problem, but can't seem to think why that would be the case if the material (whether bark, grass or otherwise) stays low to the ground. Curious to hear if there are alternative views.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 147685
Larry, this is just a guess, with little factual basis.
 While some RV's "live" above pavement of some sort, many do not.  They may be on gravel, sand, dirt, or grass.  Unless you enclose the bottom with a wrap of some sort, I doubt that the moisture accumulation from parking over grass would be significantly different than parking on pavement.  I can even see a condition in which there would be less moisture over grass - if you were on warm pavement and it rained, carrying warm water, perhaps steaming from the thin sheet passing over the hot pavement, then under your rig.

So - in absence of hard data, I would not worry if it were my rig.

Ken F in WY
'08 MB

Parking RV on grasss
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 147696
A lesson I learned the hard way about extended parking in a humid environment is the chance that the disc brakes could seize due to corrosion of the caliper rails if not properly lubricated and occasionally activated. I had a SOB many years ago that was parked outside in the Florida summer weather (hot/humid) for three months without moving.  When I did drive it the front brake pads would not fully retract after application. Didn't notice until they overheated causing damage. Whole assembles had to be replaced $$$.
Mike
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 147697
The rear wheels are on pavement so we are not talking a large area of yard.  I would suggest keeping the grass under the RV healthy and cut short to start.  Avoid letting leaves collecting under there and if you cover your RV be sure there is enough light to keep the grass healthy and the cover is high enough that air circulates well.  The health of the grass is kind of like a canary in a coal mine.  If the grass gets thin and looses color, or you can see areas of mud or moss, the area under the RV is to wet and you need to go for another solution.

Paving or stone (gravel) would be nice but you want to keep the yard area looking nice to keep the neighbors happy and the value of the house where it should be.  So any thing done on those fronts should be well planned.

John

Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath