Skip to main content
Topic: Battery Box (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic
Battery Box
Yahoo Message Number: 147624
Hi Cliff; You have the idea right. The wires going out into the battery box  are numerous and stiff, so that make it hard to slide the battery tray in and  out. It is on my to-do list (soon) to take some of the room out of my vanity  cabinet (TKB) shorten and dress the wires onto copper buss bars, and just have  flexible welding cables go to the batteries. The 100 Amp breaker would go  inside. The junction wire between the batteries would remain the same. I  collected the buss bars before the copper prices went crazy, and a professional  welder friend provided the cables (OO). I have just a small 400 watt inverter,  that I want to locate at the back of my vanity cabinet also. By putting in  full extension drawer slides, I hope to be able to fit T-145's, and be able to  check their water levels easily. I hope you are comfortable working on heavy  copper wiring. L.D. used latex caulk, painted black. I suspect there are rubber  grommets under all the goo. Hope this helped  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Re: Battery Box
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 147626
Thanks for the reply.

Do you think that I really need double zero?  The table I consulted rated that at 175 amps and you mentioned a 100 amp breaker.

Re: Battery Box
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 147628
For the typical 105 deg C insulation, the ampacity for 2/0 is 280 amps (2/0 is seriously big wire). 4 AWG is good for about 160 amps. Check this chart for variations required by a particular installation, with might require bigger sizes due voltage drops, bundling, and temperature:
 http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Marine-Wire-Size-And-Ampacity

Eric Greenwell
  [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote, On 7/26/2014 6:26 PM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

battery Box
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 147630
Hi Cliff. Well my cable was free, and that is what my friend gave me. #2 or  #1 cable is probably fine. It depends on what peak amperage you expect. The  water pump maybe 12 amps, lights a few more amps. I don't know how many watts  your inverter is. The distance is so short, you can get by with smaller wire. If  you don't run a microwave sized inverter, #2 would be fine.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB