Skip to main content
Topic: question of year the tranny/e-brake started (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
question of year the tranny/e-brake started
Yahoo Message Number: 147572
Not sure where I can find this to prove what I was told by various Ford mechanics as I had things lubed, worked on, etc., but I was told my 1998 e-450 did NOT have that type of brake..??

I asked each time I  had it in for work for the mechanics to please check the reservoir level on the e-brake... and was told each time, that mine did not have that feature..???
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "CHERRYOTTE" our litte red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

--- This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

Re: question of year the tranny/e-brake started
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 147575
Gini, Lazy Daze's spec sheet for 1998 says that "All the 26 1/2' and 30' floorplans are installed on the new Super Duty V/10 Ford with greater weight carrying capacity, wider rear axle, 4 wheel disc brakes and heavy duty stabilizer bars." This is the chassis the introduced the driveline parking brake, which I gather was necessitated by the wider rear axle. Thus I believe that your mechanics were wrong, and you do have the driveline parking brake.

For what it's worth, the Changes page, which was originally compiled by Larry, Terry, Oryoki, Eudoro, and a bunch of other people, says that the transition to the wider chassis happened in 1996. In fact, it shows two different 26.5' models for that year: one on the E350 chassis, and one on the E350 Super Duty chassis (which was renamed E450 the following year).

Thus my best guess is the Ford made the chassis change in midyear of 1996. (The 1996 Lazy Daze spec sheet says nothing about the Super Duty chassis, but that sheet would have been created at the beginning of the model year. Unfortunately, neither Terry nor I have a copy of the 1997 spec sheet.)

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 147577
Neither do I. I looked through my brochures, and the closest one I have is for 1998. It shows the Super Duty chassis for all models except for the 22-1/2' models which use the Chevrolet chassis.

Dick

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 147578
Although I do not know when Ford Motor Co. started the use of the drive shaft mounted parking brake, I can confirm that the 1999 E450's do have this system.
 On my trip home from Albany, Oregon to Fremont, CA  yesterday in a rental car, I stopped in Davis to check on our daughter's 1999 Lazy Daze. It does indeed have the same  system. Although I did not crawl underneath it was clearly visible from my point of view.  Needless to say that she is going to have her mechanic check the fluid level immediately.

Hopefully, some day next week I hope to return my rental car to Oregon and drive our Lazy Daze home again. This was indeed an expensive learning experience for us.

Aad  Rommelse Fremont, CA
2001 MB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 147579
One thing I do have that others may like to have is the 1998 Class C - Motorhome Chassis Specifications. I got it off the Ford Fleet website in October 1998. I would be glad to put it in a PDF format if anyone is interested.

Dick

Neither do I.  I looked through my brochures, and the closest one I have is for 1998.  It shows the Super Duty chassis for all models except for the 22-1/2' models which use the Chevrolet chassis.

Dick

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 147583
As said before, the transmission-mounted parking brake came about when the Wide-Body Super-Duty chassis was introduced  in 1996.
You can verify this by using online parts suppliers. Rock Auto is my go-to auto parts search site. They have the most accurate and easiest to use auto parts catalog on the internet.
Rock auto shows, starting in 1996, the Econoline Super-duty, being equipped with a driveline brake.

In earlier E350 Econolines,  the rear drum brakes doubled as the parking brake.

In 2008, Ford finally engineered a new axle, using a convectional parking brake where each rear disc brake rotor has an built in brake drum, that's used for the parking brake. This is the same method Ford had already been using on all of its light trucks for many years.
 The transmission parking brake was unique to the 1996-2007 Wide-Body, due to the lack of an available, off-the-shelf axle, that would fit the new, wider chassis..
If your LD has one, give it some love....because it you don't...

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 147584
Rock auto shows, starting in 1996, the Econoline Super-duty, being equipped with a driveline brake.

--- Larry, Rock Auto was the first place I looked for this information (in the parts listings), but I did not see anything before 2000!  I will look again!

BTW, I did call the Ford customer service line for the first model year to use the driveline brake; they didn't know. ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 147586
AFAIK, LD uses up all the previous model year chassis it owns, if necessary on the initial production run of the following year LD builds.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 147588
"LD uses up all the previous model year chassis it owns, if necessary on the initial production run of the following year LD builds."

Yup. I'm pretty sure that most RV manufacturers do the same. And in light of that (not to mention occasional midyear changes by both Ford and LD), I've added a note to the beginning of the Changes page warning that the information there may not be accurate in every case. In short, it's a guide... but it's not the gospel. :-)

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 147589
It doesn't always work out like you expect. When we ordered our 1975 LD on November 12, 1975, we chose to take one of the last 1975 chassis rather than wait for a 1976 chassis. We did that because we already had a trip to Canada planned and didn't want to wait for the 1976.
 Unfortunately, like the best laid plans of mice and men, it backfired on us. The 1976 chassis started arriving before the last 1975 went into production. At least at that time LD went strictly by order date, so those who ordered a 1976 model before November 12 got into production before us. Quite a few 1976 models were built before our 1975. Of course the upside for us was that we got a 1976 body on our 1975 chassis. It all worked out OK, and we did make our date for the Canada trip. It sure sent us into panic mode for a while.

Dick

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 147590
This wide body stuff is all confusing to me. If it started in the late 90's how come my 01 23.5 has the narrow body E-350 designated Super Duty? All the 2003 23.5's  I have seen are the wide body E-450 with the driveshaft/trans parking brake.

I have to admit there are a few advantages to the E-350 like slightly better gas mileage and no driveshaft parking brake. But I would love to have the E-450 for the better brakes and load carrying capacity.

Bob 01 23.5 TK, Jeep Cherokee Toad

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 147591
"This wide body stuff is all confusing to me. If it started in the late 90's how come my 01 23.5 has the narrow body E-350 designated Super Duty? All the 2003 23.5's  I have seen are the wide body E-450 with the driveshaft/trans parking brake."

Bob

All 23.5' models were built on the lighter E350 chassis until 2003 when they were upgraded to the E450 chassis and wide-body status.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze