Skip to main content
Topic: Follow up to generator problem (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
Follow up to generator problem
Yahoo Message Number: 147569
HI all.
(Assuming the previous start to this follow up didn't post...) Back in late winter/early spring, I posted about my generator that would run only above a certain temperature. I got the motorhome back a few days ago from having the generator repaired, so here's the rest of the story.
I a few words, the entire generator section was replaced: stator, rotor (including slip rings), and brush block. All 3 were bad. What we (meaning the gen tech and myself) can see is evidence of arcing on the "back" brush (there are 2 brushes, of course), with accompanying slip ring damage and a groove cut in the slip ring. One of the slip rings is about 1/2 the length of the other. The stator problem was found when the rotor and brush block were replaced; the generator then put out about 190 volts (max possible should be 120 volts). My personal deduction is that the stator failed first. We have no explanation for the temperature behavior of the generator. Don't ask what it cost ;) Generator is the Onan 4K Microquiet model (4KY series).
Ken
Former 2009 MB owner

Re: Follow up to generator problem
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 147571
OK, how many mistakes can I make this morning....
the, hopefully bolded, slip rings below should be brushes: one of the brushes is about 1/2 the length of the other.
In my defense, the grandkids are here ;) Ken
Former 2009 MB owner