Skip to main content
Topic: Mounting Spice Rack in Kitchen Cabinet (Read 15 times) previous topic - next topic
Mounting Spice Rack in Kitchen Cabinet
Yahoo Message Number: 147489
I have finally gotten tired of my spice containers rolling around. Going to mount a wall type spice rack in kitchen cabinet. Does anyone know the safe length of screw to use without going too deep and causing damage? I plan to use drywall type screws.

Bob 01 23.5 TK, Jeep Cherokee Toad

Re: Mounting Spice Rack in Kitchen Cabinet
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 147493
"Does anyone know the safe length of screw to use without going too deep and causing damage?"

Bob, I use 1/2" #8 pan-head sheet metal screws for all my mounting jobs. They're thick enough to get a good grip on the paneling they're screwed into, but short enough that they are unlikely to pierce wiring or plumbing inside the wall. Just to be safe, I check first with an electronic stud sensor.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 147495
By the way, Eureka's "Storage" page offers a lot more information about fastening things to the walls. :-)

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 147512
According to Todd at LD, rear overhang on the 31 is only 13 inches longer than the 27.

The other 3 feet of added length is in the added, welded-in section of the chassis that lengthens the wheelbase. Managing the 31's overhang should be minimally more difficult than on the 27.  Anyway, I sure hope so because we have a 2015 31 on order.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 147515
Bob I love to cook and making our tk cooking friendly has been a pleasant chore. Because I cook curries as well as good old American and European, I need a good variety of spices and don't want to run out of a critical spice. I finally found what seems to be the perfect spice holder - it holds 30 seperate individual quarter diameter test tubes with synthetic (hate it when the cork crumbles) corks.
The web site if you are interested is www.tubularspices.com/spiceracks/elakewood.asp We also mounted a Wusthof under cabinet mounted swinging knife rack. It fits great under the cabinet in the curve by the sink. you can find it easily for about $39 on any search engine. We are working on securing it for rough riding. Should that occur!