Skip to main content
Topic: Ford E350/E450 cabin air filter (Read 17 times) previous topic - next topic
Ford E350/E450 cabin air filter
Yahoo Message Number: 147415
Does anybody know whether these chassis have a cabin air filter? Ford's shop manual for my 2003 E450 says under routine maintenance schedules, "Install a new cabin air filter as required." But then it says under air distribution, "NOTE: The air distribution system of this vehicle cannot be equipped with a cabin air filter." Huh?

I've looked under the hood in the usual places, but don't see anything that looks like one. Is it possible that Ford built these van chassis with no filter at all for incoming cabin air?

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: Ford E350/E450 cabin air filter
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 147421
"Does anybody know whether these chassis have a cabin air filter?"

Andy
 Nope, Ford forget to include one. Jeep didn't bother to put one in our Cherokee either. As LD's Ed would have said, "you don't need it"
 One dusty roads, we close all the vents and turn the dash A/C to Max Cool which cuts off the intake of exterior air and recirculates interior air. It helps some to reduce the dust level.
In an attempt to reduce interior dust and campfire smoke while camped, I have played around with using cabin air filters, with activated charcoal, placed over a Fantastic fan to filter the incoming air and to keep positive pressure level inside the coach.
The fan doesn't push well but does much better if the filter is placed on top of the fan, exposing the filter to suction. It didn't work well enough to justify the effort to build a weatherproof box to contain the filter and to keep it from getting wet.
I'm eying an old dash heater fan, thinking about a removable fan/filter that would be placed in one of the sliding windows, as needed.
Sure wish the Jeep had a cabin air filter, the interior dust can be terrible when driving behind other vehicles, on dirt roads. Have seriously thought about building a fan/filter box that would hang in a rear door window or be mounted on the roof and would be used to keep a positive pressure in the cabin. I have already blocked off the ventilation exit outlets that most, if not all cars have hidden somewhere and have sealed any holes.

Stuffed up and barely breathing

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze