Skip to main content
Topic: Tow Haul (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Tow Haul
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 147390
Thanks, Joan.

I only have a Tow/Haul switch, so I don't know if that defeats overdrive or not.  Maybe shifting into 3rd would have the same effect.  I have to go dump, add propane and fuel.  The dump is several miles away, so I will have to test it then.  I'll report back when I complete that short trip.

Dale

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 147401
Personally, I dislike the tow haul feature, at least for descending grades.  On my '06TK (not towing), hitting the T-H shifts it down from 5th to 4th.  If it would just hold there, I'd be a happy camper most of the time, as 4th is for me often the ideal gear for extended controlled descents without too much braking.  However, the T-H is all too eager to jump from 4th to 3rd even if you just lightly touch the brakes.  The resulting roar and huge leap in RPMs is such that I immediately push the button to disengage the T-H and I use the brakes instead.  I can't believe that sudden strain on the tranny is good for it.  What I'd really wish Ford had done was place a 4th gear position on the shifter.  Or put in a manual shift.  Ah, dreaming.  -- Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 147403
"Or put in a manual shift."

--- Yeah, Jon!  My left foot *still* stomps on the 'empty space' to the left of the brake pedal as my right hand goes for the floor shift knob!  If not a manual (with a super heavy duty clutch), at least Ford could have stuck a couple of 'intermediate' gears in the 4R100.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 147409
Jon:  one positive. when going down hill and using the tow haul, I feel more control of the vehicle.  I don't think it hurts the transmission to go to to high rpms---that is what it is suspose to do. david

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 147413
I checked my Ford manual on Tow/Haul.  Engaging it does not affect overdrive availability.  The key differences are higher RPM shift points, and engine braking in all gears, including overdrive with D selected.  The book implies better downhill breaking without resorting to manual down shifts.

Dale

One finger typed on my iPad, which is responsible for all typos ;-)

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 147428
Hello  I have a 1984 Lazy Daze 42000 miles. Runs great has a small hitch. Its attached just to the bumper with 4 bolts.   Considering towing a 4runner on a automotive trailer from Los Angeles to Denver.  Thoughts??  Thanks  Scott

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 147431
"I have a 1984 Lazy Daze 42000 miles. Runs great has a small hitch. Its attached just to the bumper with 4  bolts. Considering towing a 4runner on a automotive trailer from Los  Angeles to Denver. Thoughts??"

Scott
 The older LDs had a much lower towing capability than the newer, Ford E-series. I seem to remember 3500-lbs max. A 4Runner, on a trailer, is going to weight way over 4000-lbs, maybe over 5000-lbs, depending on the age of the 4Runner and the construction of the trailer.
The old LDs are not made for this heavy a load, even the newer models would be stressed.
 Besides that, unless your 1984 LD has the large 454 V8 and a cooling system in top condition, it doesn't have the power or cooling capacity to pull such a load, especially over the Rockies. The 350 V8 will not make it out over the San Gabriels.
You should definitely re-think this.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze