Skip to main content
Topic: 30 IB and Towing (Read 19 times) previous topic - next topic
30 IB and Towing
Yahoo Message Number: 147355
I currently have a 2005 24 FL tow a 2000 Jeep Cherokee.  I would like to have something larger to use on longer trips with my 65 pound Pit Bull.  I would really like to have more space for the two of us.  I have been considering a 30 IB, but that causes concern for the ability to tow over steep mountain roads.  I spend a lot of time on the Grand Mesa, which has an elevation over 10,500 feet.  The road up is relatively steep in several places.  Many of our paved passes are higher than that.
 Is anyone successful with a 30 IB under the conditions described?  Or is that asking too much.

Dale Ellis

Re: 30 IB and Towing
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 147359
Dale:  Many times we have towed a Honda CRV with our 31' LD from Colorado to California, mainly over I70, which you know has a few high passes with the Eisenhower tunnel being 11K+.   Never had any real towing problems other than slowing down, sometimes in the 30 -35mph range, over the steep parts.   I just follow the rule of thumb that whatever gear you go up the mountain in leave it in that gear to go down.
Haven't been honked at by other drivers (yet!).    No worries and enjoy.   Gale
G N Wilson
2008 Mid-Bath

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 147366
Thanks, Gale.  I have yet to cross to the Front Range in my 24 FL, but I'm getting it ready to travel right now.  I'll do a test run up to Grand Mesa towing the Jeep in a day or two.  Maybe camp overnight, then back down the next day.  That should help.

Dale

One finger typed on my iPad, which is responsible for all typos ;-)

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 147367
We are on our shakedown cruise with 2013 IB w/ 2011 CRV towd.  We pulled some 9400' passes crossing the Rockies at Teton NP.  Carrying 43# of K-9s in 2 pkgs.   The LD pulled the grades nicely up (not real fast but not dragging either).   Found the gearing on the 450 downhill helped to minimize need for braking. Quite satisfied w/ performance.
 Weights passing Wells, NV  14140# MH, w/ full fuel, propane, 1/2 tank water, 3920# CRV so we are pushing the limits on the GVWR & bumper.  Looking at the 2013 bumper arrangement, I'd  not want to add an extra pound.

Hope this helps,  pat the dog.
Joel

Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 147370
Thanks, Joel.  It really helps to know your weights, so that I can have a better feeling of what i might expect.

I planning to tow my Jeep up to Grand Mesa in the next couple of days that should add to my info base.

Dale, petting Boon the Pittie

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 147374
Dale,
 I had a 2005 MB that we drove 128K miles  towing a 2000 Jeep Cherokee.  Much of this mileage was coast-to-coast and crossed the Rockies many atimes; I-80, I-70, I-40 & I-10.  It handled the mountains reasonably well in "stock" condition; much better after installing a Banks kit.  Now have an SOB that is almost identical to the LD 30 ft IB; chassis type, weight, length, etc.  Just crossed the Rockies with it on I-80 towing the Jeep.  The SOB performed the same as the 2005 MB before the Banks Kit.  Uphill speed often reduced to 35 to 40 mph.  Gas mileage was just a little less than with the 2005 MB.

Doug Baker

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 147376
Dale:  question:  which gear did you go up the mountains with:  3rd gear?   or did you leave in "Drive" and then let the transmission figure it out. david

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 147377
Joel:  going up the mountains, can you tell me which gear you were in.  I am in Arizona and I am trying to decide.  Just got the rig 3 months ago.  ford v10 trition.    should I go up in 3rd gear;  should I use the tow haul mode?  or just leave it in "drive"  .  Your thoughts?  I do not tow a vehicle.

david 2005  30 foot IB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 147378
Third gear until the RPM's dropped, then 2nd.  The Tow/Haul was engaged as well.  I try to keep the RPM's in the best tourque range.

Dale

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 147383
I left in drive for the most part,  engaging the tow mode on the grades.  Installed a Scangauge II to monitor trans temp.  Still haven't figured out max torque RPM.
Cheers, Joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 147388
Joel, In some looking I could not find a torque curve but found two sites stating the max torque, one for a 2006 and the other for a newer Triton. 2006 was rated at 420 lb-ft at 3250 RPMs (http://www.ford-trucks.com/specs/2006-2/2006-ford-e-series-specifications/ ) and the newer one from a dealership selling Ford Trucks 457 lb-ft at again 3250 RPMs.  ( Ford 6.8L Liter Engine Specs, Ford Engine Specs, Ford 6.8L engine, We are a Large Ford Truck Dealership, Meadowland Ford, Secaucus NJ )

The lb ft will vary depending on a given years factory tuning profiles  but I am betting the max torque RPM will be close for the engine family though my data points are a little thin to flat out say that.
I am not sure at which RPM the torque curve and the HP curve cross (a good down shift point) but the computer controlling the trans likely knows that info.
John
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 147389
Hi John,

I was going by feel when to down shift.  I will make not ok your numbers and have t hem with on my trip up on to Grand Mesa, planned for this Thursday.  I will start out with Tow/Haul engaged and Auto, and see if the tranny will downshift appropriately.  If not, then I will use manual shifting, using your numbers.  The biggest test will be coming out of the hairpins.

Thanks for you info.

Dale

One finger typed on my iPad, which is responsible for all typos ;-)