Skip to main content
Topic: Tire pressure monitering systems (Read 29 times) previous topic - next topic
Tire pressure monitering systems
Yahoo Message Number: 147335
Please opine on TPMS, are they worthwhile having and if they are worth having, which one is recommended. It seems to me that a TPMS would be good to have so that you can be aware of a slow leak before it becomes a flat tire and have some time to do something about it. Also, is it advisable to carry an air compressor. We will be getting our 27MB in the spring and am planning on having the Tireman install valve extenders. Your thoughts , please.

Ian

Re: Tire pressure monitering systems
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 147337
If you search the forum archives for "TPMS" you will find a fari number of posts on this topic.
 We've been very happy with our PressurePro 10 tire system which we've had for the last 6 years.
We just finished a 6 month, 10,000 mile trip in which I never had to add air to the MH tires, but checked the pressure at the start of each driving day.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 147338
When I went to Alaska for 14 weeks I did not have the system then but do now; but I never had to add air in 10,500 miles

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 147339
That one is a rough call. I did put a TST system on. It is like auto insurance. Most people with never get a return on the pay out. But then some will. Sort of like extended warranty on your auto. Few will get a dime back for the $1000s of dollars they pay.
Last week a friend had an inside dullie B L O W. Damage was minor and he can fix it on his own for less that $100. There is no reason for the problem and we can not see where the system would have warned him.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 147343
"Please opine on TPMS, are they worthwhile having and if they are worth having, which one is recommended."

Ian, tire pressure monitoring systems have been extensively discussed in this group. Rather than rehashing what's already been said, you can go to the group's website and use Yahoo's Search function to find all the relevant posts. I think you'll find what you need to know there. :-)

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 147345
"That one is a rough call. I did put a TST system on. It is like auto  insurance. Most people with never get a return on the pay out"
 A rear wheel blowout, in the right place, can do thousands of dollars worth of damage. A toad with a blown tire can also do a lot of expensive damage.
Not having to check the air pressure daily and the peace of mind knowing that the LD and toads tires are properly inflated is worth a lot to me.
It's such an valuable piece of equipment, that all new cars are Federally mandated to have TPMS.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 147350
"It's such a valuable piece of equipment, that all new cars are Federally mandated to have TPMS."

In fact, they have been since the 2009 model year. I agree with Larry 100%. Blowouts are not only dangerous but often very expensive. RVs have been seriously damaged, and toads have gone up in flames.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 147357
We also have a PressurePro 10-tire system and are very pleased with it.  We've also had ours for about 6 years.  We didn't get one until we started towing and someone asked:  how do you know when you have a flat on the toad?  Hmmmm.  Good question.  Bought the Pressure Pro.
 A couple of tips:  When we remove them for long-term coach storage in an open lot, we put each one in a marked ziploc bag and then put all of them in a larger ziploc bag.  This way we know where they go at reinstallation.
 Also, when you travel from a warm weather region to a cold one, you will get alarms since the sensor will read pressures greater than 10% below the original set point.  I reinitialize the sensors for the new climate.
 Another good  general tip, which applies universally to tire pressure, is to check and adjust pressures first thing in the morning before the sun hits the tires.  We've noticed a difference of several pounds between tires in and out of the sun at the same point in time.
 Finally, carry a compressor at all times.  With TPMS and a compressor you have peace of mind.  Example:  we bought new tires 60 miles from home at Costco.  We set the pressures, mounted the sensors, and headed home.  Within a few mintues, the TPMS alarm sounded.  I stopped, pulled out the compressor, filled the tire, and continued.  A few minutes later, the alarm sounded again.  This repeated about 3-4 times until I got to a Les Schwab dealer near home.  Costco had failed to ensure that the valves were not leaking.  Without TPMS, I would have had a destroyed tire--or worse, an accident.  Without the compressor, I would have learned a  costly and time-consuming lesson.

Hope this helps--Ted

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 147358
Ted- good tips. But, why is it important to put them back on the same tire after long term storage? Wendy
2002 MB

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 147368
I put the TST 570 unit on our 2013 31 IB & CRV.   The temperature gauge alerted me to an issue with the brakes on the CRV running hot- not  enough to hit the alarm but high enough to stop and check.

Somebody posted that it's like insurance.

joel

Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 147369
With the TST system, they register to the tire.   So you want to make sure the RF is reporting RF.   You could also reinstall from scratch after long term storage.

You don't want to mix the ones on the MH & Towd-   the sensor alert ranges for pressure are way different.

joel

Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 147386
I have a new in the box Flojet. I like my Sewer Solution when I have to drain up hill as some RV sites may be. I use the standard 3" otherwise. If your interested in the Flojet, let me know, I will price it with a loss.
James Allen Jackson

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 147402
:

I have a new in the box Flojet. I like my Sewer Solution when I have to drain up hill as some RV sites may be. I use the standard 3" otherwise.

If much lift is needed, know that the Sewer Solution is limited to a maximum of 3' lift and 100' of hose, according to Factory specs.
Jabsco's 12-VDC macerator is rated at 7.5 gallons per minute at 20' of lift. It will pump at least 150', through a 3/4" hose, based on personal experience.
Couldn't find specs on the Flojet macerator but since it and Jabsco are own by the same mother company (Zylem), they may have similar capabilities.

Larry
Larry

Tire Pressure Monitering Systems
Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 147434
Thanks for your responses to my query. Apparently these are not an "in demand" item. I had an interesting conversation with Chuck the "Tireman" who pointed out a couple of problems with them. Some it is hard to change the batteries, which need be done rather frequently, When you make a large change in elevation you may need to calibrate.. His opinion is that with experience with your rig you will be able to tell when a tire goes soft. Also check the tires before hitting the road each day, and have a good tire thumper. TPMS is good on a trailer or a toad because you can't feel it as you would on your coach. He also says to have a good 110v air compressor, suitable wrenches two 10T bottle jacks and torque wrench. Also he suggests having stud extenders as the wheel covers tend to creep and can damage the valve extenders when they come in contact. The stud extenders keep that from happening.

Ian Walker "The Silver Fox"

Re: Tire Pressure Monitering Systems
Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 147435
"I had an interesting conversation with Chuck the "Tireman" who pointed  out a couple of problems with them. Some it is hard to change the  batteries, which need be done rather frequently, When you make a large  change in elevation you may need to calibrate.. His opinion is that with  experience with your rig you will be able to tell when a tire goes  soft."

There are brands of TPMS with replaceable batteries. Not a issue.
 Once you have figured out your particular system and how to set the pressure, you will have few problems.
 After you have experienced a soft tire and the subsequent blowout, you might learn what it feels like, then again you might not. It could be a steep and expensive learning curve.

Larry
Larry

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 147436
"I had an interesting conversation with Chuck the 'Tireman' who pointed out a couple of problems with them... it is hard to change the batteries, which need be done rather frequently..."

Well, if every few years is "frequently." To me, that's not a big deal.

"His opinion is that with experience with your rig you will be able to tell when a tire goes soft."

I strongly disagree with Chuck on this. I've experienced substantial pressure loss due to a puncture, yet it was not evident until I did my daily pressure check. I think it's dangerously bad advice to tell an RVer, "Oh, you don't need a tire pressure monitoring system--you'll be able to tell."

Folks, Chuck makes nice tire stems. (So does Borg Tire Supply.) But most tire resellers I've encountered have some opinions that aren't grounded in facts. We've all encountered dealers who tell you to "always inflate to the pressure molded on the tire," for example. Anything you hear from one of these people should be taken with a large grain of salt, and if possible, checked with the tire's manufacturer.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 147437
Yesterday I re-read my Ford E450 Owners Manual.  They stated that a TPMS does not replace manually checking your tire pressure.   They suggest checking at each re-fuel stop.
IMHO it's not a big deal to check tire pressures daily.
After all your life and processions depend on you being smart and responsible.
As an complete aside my father in law had a blow out in his LD that caused a great amount of wood damage.  Total cost of repair was in the  $800 dollar range.

Glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 147438
I had a blowout on my second LD - passenger side drive tire. I was lucky as it happened on an exit ramp next to a tire dealer and I was going only 20mph and damaged only the tire.

The PO had purchased new tires only 3 years earlier. I saw the invoice so I was not concerned about the tires. But the PO did not verify the date on the tires before allowing them to be installed.

Needless to say I got 6 news ones post haste.

best, paul

center

center

center

center

center

Re: [LD] Tire Pressure Monitering Systems
Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 147439
I respectfully disagree with Chuck.
 "Some it is hard to change the batteries, which need be done rather frequently."
 There are *some* TPMS's where the owner can change the batteries.  I don't have any experience with this kind, so I don't know how hard they are to replace or how frequently they need to be replaced.  However, I read a lot of RV forums and have never heard that the batteries on these systems are hard to replace or that they are short-lived.
 We have had the Pressure Pro TPMS since 2007...all the sending units, with the exception of a couple which we've had to replace, are still going strong.  I don't consider 7+ years "frequently."  The downside is that the Pressure Pros *do* require the dead unit be sent back and a new one bought (as a discount from the original price).
 "When you make a large change in elevation you may need to calibrate."
 We've been at elevations from below sea level (Death Valley) to over 10,000' (La Manga Pass in Colorado) and have never had to do a "recalibration."  Adjust tire pressure before the start of a travel day, perhaps, but we've never had to recalibrate the Pressure Pros.  Maybe that's true with some of the TPMS, but certainly not with the Pressure Pros.
 "His opinion is that with experience with your rig you will be able to tell when a tire goes soft."
 Maybe, but how much experience does it take and how many flat tires (or blowouts) do you have to go through to get enough experience to tell when a tire is "going soft" while driving down the road, especially with the duals?  I contend that, with the exception of a blowout, it would be difficult, if not impossible to tell if one tire of a dual pair has lost air while you're traveling.
 "Also check the tires before hitting the road each day, and have a good tire thumper."
 Good advice.  Having a TPMS makes it a snap to check the tire pressures at the start of each traveling day.  You might also consider getting an infrared heat gun to check the tire temperatures at each stop.

Linda Hylton
Linda Hylton

Re: [LD] Tire Pressure Monitering Systems
Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 147440
"Yesterday I re-read my Ford E450 Owners Manual.  They stated that a TPMS does not replace manually checking your tire pressure.   They suggest checking at each re-fuel stop."
 The TPMS makes it a snap to check the tire pressures at the beginning of each travel day...no need to screw them off to manually check the pressures.
 And, since tire pressures are supposed to be taken cold, I don't understand their suggestion to check the pressures at each re-fuel stop...?  I do sometime scroll through the monitor to see what the pressures are when we stop for fuel, but I do that just to make sure all the tires are within a reasonable range of all the other tires.  If one was significantly low or high, we'd check that tire.  But I certainly wouldn't go out with our tire pressure gauge, screw off each Pressure Pro, and check the pressure manually!

Linda Hylton
Linda Hylton

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 147441
"...since tire pressures are supposed to be taken cold, I don't understand their suggestion to check the pressures at each re-fuel stop...?"

---- Ditto.  Tire pressures should be checked when the tires are cold, e.g., at the start of each 'travel day'; 'hot checking' is counter-productive.
  Re: tire bats. A tire bat is a useful tool, but it's not a substitute for checking cold tire pressures with a reliable gauge. A tire bat (when used correctly) will indicate whether a tire is out of synch with the others by the sound of the 'thump'; a low or flat tire (which may not be immediately apparent, particularly if the affected tire is an inside dual) will sound hollow.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 147442
"Yesterday I re-read my Ford E450 Owners Manual.  They stated that a TPMS  does not replace manually checking your tire pressure.   They suggest  checking at each re-fuel stop."
 While it's true that vehicles with a Factory installed TPMS only report that a tire is low, the aftermarket system report the actual pressure and can be monitored using the digital readout.
With such a system, you do not need to manually read each tire's pressure daily as its pressure can quickly be checked anytime at the monitor. Reading the pressure off the monitor reduces how many times a year air must be added to the tires since none is lost while reading the pressure.
With such a system, checking at fuel-stops is wasted time. I have used an infrared thermometer for over a decade to check tire temps when traveling in hot areas. Many TPMS systems will report an overheated tire. What I like best ithe elimination of the morning air check and the ability  to check each tire's pressure while driving down the road.
 As mentioned before, the Tireman sell great stems but many of his opinion are outdated. Heck, on one visit he told me to get rid of our LD's new Michelin tires, because I would have trouble with them, and to then to replace them with Goodyear RV tires.
That was two sets of tires ago and still, no problems with the Michelins.  Wonder what I did wrong.

Larry
Larry

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 147443
My PressurePro system is 6 years old and the original batteries are in place and still going strong.  Perhaps there are some units that require frequent battery changes.  That does not apply to all, however.
 I have ranged from sea level to over 11,000 feet in my travels.  I have never needed to recalibrate my system.
 I know my rig and its feel pretty well.  Perhaps I would notice a soft front tire, but I doubt that I would be able to feel a soft rear tire, and I know I would not feel a soft TOAD tire, because I had one and knew it only because of my TPMS.
 I trust and value Chuck's expertise, but I think he missed the boat on this one.
 Regarding the other stuff - stud extenders, compressor, jacks and wrenches, I think his advice is excellent.

Ken F in WY
'08 MB

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 147448
I drove and spent years around trucks hauling tall, wide, long, high and heavy loads. We didn't have all the fancy devices if today.
 We stopped every couple of hours for a pit stop and bounced our tires as well as being aware using our mirrors and checked our load frequently while under way.
 Same thing with heave transports driven in the military during deployment. It worked for us for many decades. The world is now just a different place.

What a Country.

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 147449
I drove and spent years around trucks hauling tall, wide, long, high and  heavy loads. We didn't have all the fancy devices if today.
 We stopped every couple of hours for a pit stop and bounced our tires as  well as being aware using our mirrors and checked our load frequently  while under way.

Same t hing with heave transports driven in the military during deployment. It worked for us for many decades.