Skip to main content
Topic: Sea air corrosion? (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
Sea air corrosion?
Yahoo Message Number: 147144
Hi everyone!
 We picked up our 24 TK LD in February and LOVE it!  I do have a question for the group.  We have been invited to go down to the Texas coast.  I am worried about the salty sea air causing damage to my lovely LD.  We would wash it when we come back home but I am worried about damaging the exterior with salt air.
 A few years ago, we went to the coast in our old unit (SOB) and our bikes were destroyed by the salt air despite having been washed and oiled.  Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
2013 TK

Re: Sea air corrosion?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 147145
Do what the oil rigs do: Spray as much as you can with WD40!  But as you leave the coastal area do a good washing...  My son lives near Galveston and his bikes don't have a speck of rut on them.... Not sure what happened to your bikes to cause them to be "destroyed!"

Havasu01

Re: Sea air corrosion?
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 147146
When I was stationed at Harlingen AFB back in the 50's, I would drive my car down to Padre Island and spend the day driving through the surf with the salt water flying everywhere. That afternoon, on the way back to the base, I would take my car to a service station with a grease rack and have the car washed with warm water top and bottom. Never had any problem with rust. Of course I was young and foolish in those days, and you couldn't do that now anyway with it being a Texas State Park.
 But with your new 24 TK, I wouldn't wait until you get back home to wash it. I would do it as soon as you leave wherever you are staying. Then wash it again when you get home. A truck wash would be best so you can get the top and bottom rinsed.

Dick