Skip to main content
Topic: DIY V10 spark plug change - 2003 LD (Read 15 times) previous topic - next topic
DIY V10 spark plug change - 2003 LD
Yahoo Message Number: 146989
Our 2003 LD's engine was built in August 2002, so it had the early heads that were prone to the spark plugs loosening and blowing out. At 80,000, our 2003 23.5' Lazy Daze's V10 was idling rough and I could hear an occasional tick.
 Even though the Factory recommended spark plug change is at 100,000 miles, I decided to do it early...and I'm very glad I did. Both of the rear cylinder's spark plugs were finger tight.
This made me a bit nervous. Happily, all 10 of the new plugs accepted a higher than stock, 28-ft/lbs of torque.
The engine now idles smoothly, with no ticks.
Details below.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157644831463520/show

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: DIY V10 spark plug change - 2003 LD
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 146990
Hi Larry,
 Beside the two finger-tight plugs, did you encounter any that were frozen or hard to remove after 80,000 miles?

I assume that you did the work yourself.

Just curious.

Aad Rommelse
 Ps. Are you planning to attend the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta in October this year?
2001 MB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 146991
Larry, how long did it take to change the plugs - start to finish?

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 146992
"Beside the two finger-tight plugs, did you encounter any that were frozen or hard to remove after 80,000 miles?  I assume that you did the work yourself.
PS. Are you planning to attend the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta in October this year?"

Aad
 No, the rest of the plugs were probably in the 10-ft/lf range, easy to remove.
 A very important part of the process is having and using lots of compressed air to blow out the deep holes that the spark plugs sit in. The plugs sit in the bottom of a 4" deep machined hole . A large amount of dust and sand was blown out each of the 10 holes. I would imagine this is common in most V10s.
If I was to do it again, I would use a keyboard vacuum attachment and vacuum each hole first, before using  the air, in an attempt to minimize the cleanup.
Each plug was cracked loose and rotated 1/4-1/2 a turn and then the holes were blown out again, removing any debris broken loose when the plugs were cracked..
 After that, the plugs were replaced one by one. They were torqued to 28-ft/lbs. This is a much higher torque than what what Ford originally specified, somewhere around 11-ft/lbs.
I used a higher torque after talking with the guy from Blownoutsparkplug.com, a company that repairs stripped spark plug holes. He told me that after experimenting on a lot of heads, they found using 28-ft/lbs of torque didn't cause problems and it keeps the plugs tight.
28-ft/lbs didn't feel at all excessive, actually about what I normally would tighten plugs to if not using a torque wrench.

Larry
Larry

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 146995
"How long did it take to change the plugs - start to finish?"

Chris
 Actual work time was about six hours but it was spread over two days and I was doing other things at the same time. I could probably do it in four hours but really don't want to do any of these, it's too much like work It's not a technically difficult job but it is a big job, somewhat physical when it comes to removing and replacing the seats and dog house.
Our LD has a lot of devices mounted to and around the dog house and that added a bit of time to the process. It was a good time to redo a few things, adding even more time to the job.
I removed the seats so I had good access. Having never done this before, I wanted the best view possible. After repairing the rat damage in Lorna's LD, I knew how hard it is to work in the area with the seats in place. With air tools, the seats were in the back of the coach in less than fifth teen minutes. Each seat has one or two electrical plugs that need disconnecting.
When standing in front of the LD and looking in at the engine, there seems there is no access. Removing the air cleaner and the Mass Air Sensor (the round plastic thing that the air filter attaches to), opens up the front. The front two plugs come out of the front.
A few things do need to be moved.
The dip-stick tubes need to be unbolted and moved over.
The PVC valve needs to be pulled out of the driver-side's valve cover (plug the hole) and moved out of the way.
Each cylinder bank has a plastic bracket that covers the fuel injector and coil wires.
Both brackets need to be unbolted, moved inward and tied back to provide access to the
7-mm head screws that hold the coils (COP) in place, and then the spark plugs.
 Other year models may have a different list of things that need attention.
 Hoping to never do this again, I replaced the plugs with Autolite Iridium plugs and new NTK boots. The Factory boots were in fairly good shape and could probably been used again but I already had the replacments.
Rock Auto provided the parts.
The V10 sure has a lot of spark plugs, as many as our other two vehicles combined.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157644831463520/

Larry https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/collections/72157603770063511/
Larry

DIY V10 spark plug change - 2003 LD
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 146996
Larry, What would be the pros/cons of using a thin layer of anti-sieze coating on the replaced spark plug threads? Mike

I decided to do it early...and I'm very glad I did. Both of the rear cylinder's spark plugs were finger tight.
This made me a bit nervous.
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 146997
Sounds about right when I did mine. I think       I pushed the torque to 24. I did not have any loose, but one or       two were beginning to miss on a decent pull up a hill at 50K       miles. Passenger side rear if I believe. Have about 60K on them       now. Probably ought to be changing them again. :(  They are a pain       to change, but not horrendous.

Chuck 97RB @Hartford IA
1997 RB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 146999
"What would be the pros/cons of using a thin layer of anti-sieze coating on the replaced spark plug threads?

Mike

The Autolite plugs come with a Factory coating so I didn't use any additional anti-seize.
Can't speak for any other V10 but none of the plugs showed any signs of seizing, they all popped out easily.

Larry
Larry