Skip to main content
Topic: Jekyll Island, GA in October (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Jekyll Island, GA in October
Yahoo Message Number: 146950
Now that we have our September trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway planned, we're heading to Jekyll Island in October.  Bicycle riding and beach walking are what we're planning on doing.  Not familiar with the campground and it looks pretty big according to their website.  The reviews are pretty good on Trip Advisor.  But as usual, I like the feedback from the LD group better.    Any suggestions concerning the campground and places to eat?

David 05RK
david 05rk

Re: Jekyll Island, GA in October
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 146953
I was at the campground on Jekyll Island in December.  Most of the sites are fairly close together.  It appears that they tried to avoid cutting many trees down, so the sites are at all different angles and you may have to watch out for trees as you pull in your spot.  The restrooms are old, but clean.  It's a bit too close together for me, but as it is the only campground on the island it will do.  I am thinking about going back for a while this winter.   There are a lot of trees, so don't expect any sun on the RV.  With our tinted windows, the Lazy Daze was quite dark during the day.
 There is a great bike trail that goes around most of the island (about 16 miles), except for a small portion on the road.  Using the bike trail, there is a good  2 - 3 mile loop just across the street from the campground which made for a good morning walk.
 I didn't eat out, except for once off the island so I can't really help there.  There is a very small grocery store on the island currently (or at least in December) in a temporary location as they build a new retail area.  I would suggest bringing everything you need with you as the one thing I looked at in the store was quite a bit more than normal.

Pam
2008 MB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 146980
Thanks for the input on Jekyll.  After checking out the reviews I think we'll give it a try.  Fortunately, we'll not be far from several state parks should Jekyll not work out.  Visited Skidaway Island State Park (not too far away from Jekyll)  a couple of years ago and enjoyed it.

David 05RK
david 05rk

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 146985
No to worry.  You will like J. Island.  Lots to do and pretty laid back.  The weather should be good during your time.  It has been a couple of years since we were there but doubt if it has changed much.

Bob  SE 5