Skip to main content
Topic: Blown engine (Read 14 times) previous topic - next topic
Blown engine
Yahoo Message Number: 146843
87 22fl, with the Chevy 350, blown @ 64000 miles coming home from Silver Strand. EVERYTHING else still works great. It's sitting at a dealer's, who wants over $5000. I really don't know what to do here. Is it worth fixing? Does anyone know of a more affordable rebuild? If it's a lost cause, does anyone know how I'd go about parting it out? Sorry for the long post after not showing my face in here. Very serious medical issues pretty much put me, & my wife out of commission for 5 yrs. This has been our only means of escape & it's killing me to think it's gone.

Re: Blown engine
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 146851
My condolences..One important piece of information missing here; How far from your home is your LD now and what would be the likely recovery costs?.

Absent this.I'll extemporize.
Especially if you are having health issues, you probably don't want to get involved in the difficult process of parting it out yourself.
I'd therefore solicit bids from Dismantlers near where it is. Unfortunately they will be way below what you are hoping for.
You could also put ads on this website and craigslist, to sell it asis whereis., OR if you like what you were driving 5 minutes before the engine blew, it's probably worth putting 7 grand(which it will probably be after taxes and extras) into your rig. You'd have to pay at least 8 to replace it on the open market, and you wouldn't know exactly what you are buying.
In any case , good luck, and I'm sorry you have to face this nightmare.
Mark I had one of these 22' and loved it.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 146852
"87 22fl, with the Chevy 350,  blown @ 64000 miles coming home from Silver Strand. EVERYTHING else  still works great. It's sitting at a dealer's, who wants over $5000. I  really don't know what to do here. Is it worth fixing?"
 The dealer is going to be the most expensive place, find a good independent shop.
Unfortunately, replacing an engine in a G-series van is a difficult job, taking much more time than a similar engine in a pickup, due to the restricted access and very tight fit.
Did it once and that was enough for me.
 Figure on spending at least $2000 for a quality remanufactured long-block and the other parts that should be replaced when the engine is out. If the engine overheated, most likely the radiator is in need of replacement.
The labor could be as much as the new engine. The combined cost may exceed the value of your LD When it is all done, you will still have a very old LD since only one part out of many is replaced. What will be the next major item to go, the transmission, the refrigerator or?
 It's judgement call if it is worth spending that much on a 27 year old RV.
At some point we have to say 'good-bye, it's been nice'.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 146856
Joe, What happened with the engine? Did it overheat, start smoking, blow a head gasket? Has only the dealer evaluated the failure? If the MH is near you, I'd try to get a second opinion from a reputable independent shop. You might find a reputable mechanic that would take a look at it without delivering it to his shop, or maybe at the least, you can describe what happened with the failure. Look at independent shops and check the BBB or Angie's list for ratings on that shop.
There are many unknown variables here, it's tough for anyone to give an expert opinion on this.
Sorry for your pain......

Jim Brenneke

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 146868
'I don't know what cost to remove bad motor and install new but a  reasonable charge would be about $800.00. Jasper has a network of  dealers you can visit for exact quote."

Bob
 No qualified mechanic will change a G-30's engine engine for $800. If someone does offer to do it at that price, walk away, they have seriously underbid the job..
You cannot believe how shoe horned the engine is in its bay. The FSM calls for for unbolting the front crossmember, on on which the engine, transmission and suspension sits, and then lifting the body up to expose the engine, allowing it to be rolled out on its wheels.
Anyone, besides bumper, who have a crane big enough to lilt an LD's front end off the ground several feet?
 Taking the engine out from the front is possible but very tight, requiring some engine disassembly before it can be removed. Access is very limited.
The one 350-V8 G-30 engine I changed took my brother and I two full 12-hour days to complete, about twice as long as a similar engine in a pickup truck.
I can only imagine how big a project it would be to change a V10.

Larry
Larry

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 146870
Larry, I based this estimate on a mechanic that told me he had removed a motor thru the passenger door. He had removed the door, passenger seat and claimed it fit thru. I didn't see it but he sounded sincere. Since I'm no mechanic can't speak to exact estimate. Guess he should go to an independent shop for advice.

Bob

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 146871
V-10 rebuilt? I discussed this exact possibility with a shop that specialized in replacing engines. In the E-450 chassis the front axel gets removed and the engine is dropped down. Labor estimate was $3,000 and that was in 2007. The ballpark for the entire job was $7,000.

Ed

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 146874
I have done the same for replacing an engine in a van. (Take it out the passenger door).

I thought it was always done that way :)

A van is real easy too since the transmission can be taken away to simply engine removal even more.

With two people and good tools an engine swap could be done in 4 hours, no problem.

-Bill Lynch

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 146875
This is an amassing group.  I don't know about engines, but in a 1983 rear bath I know you can get an old refrigerator out and a new one in the open window next to it.  Good luck  Gene

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 146878
"I have done the same for replacing an engine in a van. (Take it out the passenger door).
I thought it was always done that way :) A van is real easy too since the transmission can be taken away to simply engine removal even more.
With two people and good tools an engine swap could be done in 4 hours, no problem."

Bill
 The very early vans had the engine sitting farther back in the cab than the G-30s and could be removed through the passenger door. The small 6-cylinder engines were easier to get in and out.
 When you pull the dog house off a G-30, you are looking at the bell housing and the rear of the engine, no way is it coming out that way. It comes out from the bottom or front (after removing the grill, radiator and its supporting cross-member).
My posting is based upon personal experience on doing one myself and supervising professional mechanics changing engines in several G-30 vans at work. The pros, with the right hoists and tools, drop the cross-member with the engine and transmission attached, then roll the whole assembly out.
 Have you actually changed an 350 V8 engine, in a G-30 van, in four hours? It takes me at least that long just to swap all the accessories over from the old engine to the new one, once the engine has been removed.
You must be hanging out with an Indy pit crew.

Larry
Larry

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 146879
Yes, with one other person.  I was younger too.
 After removing the doghouse and pulling the radio panel out of the dash;
 Person 1 takes out the radiator and fan and pulls off the power steering pump and a/c compressor, tying them  aside,  Then moves to pulling the engine wiring harness plug and other wires(alternator/starter)
 Person 2 simultaneously drops the transmission and the exhaust pipes and blocks up the back of the motor,  Fuel lines are pulled and the passenger door and seat are removed.
 Then the cherry picker is put in through the  door. The chain has to be tight so you don't run out of room.
 The engine comes out and the replacement goes right back in.  Presumably, the replacement engine is completely assembled, needing only the exhaust manifolds and front accessory brackets to be transferred.  If you waste time transferring intakes and fuel systems and water pumpe, etc, it will take too long so you need to be prepared.

It's a perfect time to replace the motor mounts too.

This was for a 350.  I believe the original poster also has a 350,

-Bill

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 146885
If there is one thing I learned here it is I pray my engine never needs to be taken out for repair.
The van I was speaking about was an older Chevy C30 used to haul furniture. Hopefully my Ford V10 will be kind to me. I have a little over 80K miles now so will keep my fingers crossed.

Bob

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 146895
I removed the engine out of my 1983 g20 van through the front by removing the grill, a/c condensor, radiator, front bumper and the core support. I already had the heads off from diagnosing. I removed the transmission before removing the engine. After rebuilding the engine, I installed it with the heads, intake / exhaust manifolds, and waterpump installed on the engine. This engine is a 6.2 liter v-8 diesel and was a tight fit getting in. A 350 would have much more room. I'll post some pics on flicker website soon.

Billy J. Brower 1985 22'FL 6.2L diesel Lazy Daze

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 146898
Thanks for the pics. Please tell me more about the diesel in the LD. Assuming it's not stock, what kind of $$ would I be talking about, bought & installed.

Thanks, Joe

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 146899
The diesel engine is stock. I bought this Lazy Daze in 2006 from the original owner who ordered it with the diesel option from the Lazy Daze factory in 1985. The labor rate to replace a gas 350 is 16 hours and to replace a 6.2L diesel is 22 hours. The price for a long block diesel is around $2500. For you to install a diesel in yours, you would have to buy a used one from a G20 or G30 to get all the brackets for the a/c, power steering, vacuum pump and alternator, also the motor mounts for the chassis. It's really rare to find a G van with a diesel in it. You would be better off sticking with a 350 gas engine. The gm chevy gas 350's are the cheapest engines out there. You should be able to find a basic long block for around $1500. Maybe look into having yours rebuilt.

Billy J. Brower 1985 22'FL 6.2L diesel Lazy Daze billyjbrower

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 146905
Ford V10's easily go to 200K or more. Mine       has 110K and still running strong. As long as you change oil and       follow the recommended maintenance schedule you should not have       issues. Fuel-Injected motors today don't have the cylinder wear       problems that you got from carb motors dumping so much fuel into       the cylinders. So the rings last much longer. Motors are also       built to better tolerances than 20 years ago.

Just My opinion, worth price charged.

Chuck Myers 97RB @Hartford, IA
1997 RB

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 146907
I have seen 2 LD's with high mileage. One 167,000 other one can't remember but over 150K still running strong. Other than using a little oil between changes no problem. The Ford V10 is stout.

Bob

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 146921
Thanks for the info. Sorry to take so long to reply. It's been a while since I've used Yahoo. Just finding all these messages now.

Re: [LD] Re: Blown engine
Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 146924
Is this a Yahoo glitch?  Or is the OP really posting the same message over and over again?

Linda Hylton

Thanks for the info. Sorry to take so long to reply. It's been a while since I've used Yahoo. Just finding all these messages now.
Linda Hylton

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 146925
I was trying to reply to everyone individually. If everyone can see these, it's due to being on Yahoo for the first time in years. I'm just finding all of these messages now, & I feel horrible that so many took the time to reply, & I did not even acknowledge.

Sorry, & thanks again to everyone that replied.