Skip to main content
Topic: bread dough (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
bread dough
Yahoo Message Number: 146809
Liz bakes bread all the time while we're on the road. She does the kneading on the dinette table. After the several risings off go the two loaves into the oven. Mmmm, mmmm good!! WxToad
Now, has anybody figured out where to knead bread dough in an LD kitchen? This has me stymied.
Sent from Toad's Galaxy S5

Re: bread dough
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 146810
Well I've thought about that and should try it. However my one legged dinette table isn't all that sturdy, so the direction of kneading would have to be towards the window. The table is only 21 inches wide, almost certainly not wide enough to eliminate inadvertent flour-flying onto the blue velvet bench upholstery. That's in my imagination anyway.
I will have to try following Liz's example the next time it's cool enough to light the oven. When I see y'all I'll have to discuss it with her in detail. I hope that might be in ABQ. (-: Kathy L.
1999 MB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 148840
This is way out of sequence, but Kathy's note fell on me today when I was doing some computer housekeeping, and I wanted to add a little suggestion.

THINK SINK

Many tasks that require use of hands and arms are more comfortable when performed at the level of the bottom of the sink.  This would include kneading bread dough.  Might help with the "flying flour" problem as well.

I keep a small dishpan in the sink, and sometimes flip it over to provide a quick, temporary, light-weight surface to use when doing prep work.  Actually, I keep a stack of two or three of them in the sink because that is space cost effective, and I always know where I can find a vessel that size when I want one!  Same for a larger size dishpan that I keep the rice cooker in - a stack of three takes no more room than one, and you have a handy-sized vessel for a quick water need - or for use in sorting, or to carry items outdoors, or to any other venue.

Also good for when you defrost the refrigerator.  If you don't have a cooler to press into use, you can put your freezer items inside a dishpan in the sink and put something reflective over the top (and/or a big, heavy towel and your sink cover), and your items will stay frozen quite nicely.  The sink is a good insulator.  If you routinely keep a few Blue Ice thingies frozen in your freezer, all the better.  It is mandatory to eat all the ice cream the day before, though!  ;->  If you can plan ahead and get rid of as much actual food as possible before the appointed day, you can use the space in your freezer to freeze half-gallon sized containers of water to use in this process.  If you do have a cooler (handy for day trips), these half-gallon bottles will really assist in keeping your frozen food really frozen.  If your cooler is smallish, then freeze smaller containers of water.

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 148842
The tubs that come from hospital visits!  But I think there are other sources.  I'll measure and reply later after breakfast!

Virtual hugs,

Judie