Skip to main content
Topic: travel with a large dog (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
travel with a large dog
Yahoo Message Number: 146697
Art and I are travelling with our 11 year old greyhound black lab mix..  it will be an adventure for all.  It just occurred to us that we are going to run into the 'do not leave your dog unattended rule that almost every campground has. I am now aware there are dog friendly beaches and we are planning on them.  what I need though are pet sitters for when we want to go to an event.  The site we have in Wyoming pa, for example, does not allow pets, we are fortunate that our daughter lives in nj and we can leave the dog there otherwise we will need to find a kennel.
While kenneling is a fine long term solution it is the short term - if we wish to go to the beach or a movie for example - that had me interested.
I would appreciate learning how most folks with pets work around this. By the by, the dog is not a barker and is used to spending all day alone when we are working Thank you Art and Sandy Vermont

Re: [LD] travel with a large dog
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 146698
We travel with two dogs.  Although we don't often spend any time in RV parks, we DO leave our dogs in the RV when we leave to go someplace.  One dog doesn't bark, the other does, so we keep the blinds closed when we leave.  In all the years since we've been RVing, we've never had a problem doing it this way.
 Now, if you're going to be gone all day...say you're going on a day cruise or tour...then getting a sitter or kenneling would be a solution.  But for going out to dinner, a movie, going grocery shopping, etc., there's really no need to do either as long as your dog doesn't bark the entire time you are gone.

Linda Hylton

Art and I are travelling with our 11 year old greyhound black lab mix..  it will be an adventure for all.  It just occurred to us that we are going to run into the 'do not leave your dog unattended rule that almost every campground has. I am now aware there are dog friendly beaches and we are planning on them.  what I need though are pet sitters for when we want to go to an event.  The site we have in Wyoming pa, for example, does not allow pets, we are fortunate that our daughter lives in nj and we can leave the dog there otherwise we will need to find a kennel.
While kenneling is a fine long term solution it is the short term - if we wish to go to the beach or a movie for example - that had me interested.
I would appreciate learning how most folks with pets work around this. By the by, the dog is not a barker and is used to spending all day alone when we are working Thank you Art and Sandy Vermont
Linda Hylton

Re: travel with a large dog
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 146699
Like Linda, I don't stay in RV parks (which is what I think you mean by 'campground'?), but I also have never had any problems leaving my dog in the rig when I'm off doing whatever. (I just have to be sure that the couches are well-covered and no wastebasket/garbage contents are accessible!) You said that your dog is used to staying alone all day while you're working, so leaving the dog for shorter periods of time shouldn't be a problem. However, if your dog's staying alone all day while you're working involves having outside access to relieve itself when it needs to, you might want to start with leaving the dog for only a couple of hours at a time (after walking him/her) until you see how s/he does.

I do suggest that you never leave the dog tied outside when you are not there, and that you have a 'In Case of Emergency, Rescue the Dog' sign on the door of the rig.

If you have to kennel or find a dogsitter for long out-of-the-rig periods, many RV parks can suggest local resources; I suggest checking these out very carefully. You know your dog; if s/he would not do well in a 'dogsitter'/dog walker situation (mine did not/do not), you can adjust your own activities accordingly.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the 'don't leave your dog unattended in the RV' rule; in my experience, if your dog is safe and comfortable, has been well 'walked' before you leave, has water available, and doesn't bark (howl, whine, fling itself at the windows, yapping frantically, whenever something/somebody passes by, or trash the rig for entertainment [for him/her] and/or retribution [for you] ) to make its presence known, you're good to go. ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 146700
"I  would appreciate learning how most folks with pets work around this. By  the by, the dog is not a barker and is used to spending all day alone  when we are working"

Art and Sandy

You have discovered why many RVers do not have or do not travel with their pets. They are wonderful while you are with them but require continuous attention to their condition. Pets are like small children, you don't leave them in strange places unless someone is there to take care of them.

Many times, while traveling with others, someone(s) needs to stay behind with the pets, when we take off on long side trips. It's the cost of having pets, you give up one thing for another.
There will be situations where you will have to pass up doing something because of the dog, get over it and  plan your activities around things you can do with the dog present.

Many cats can be left for the day without problems but you never know how a dog is going to respond to being left behind. Many 'non-barking' dogs take up the habit when the owners leave, especially in strange campgrounds. We have experienced this phenomenon many times, usually with the 'non-barking' dog located in the campsite next to us.
 We have also seen the returning dog owner being told to pack and go...not a pretty scene.

We love cats but when our last one died, that was it until we stop traveling.
We like being to do what we want without the logistical considerations that pets require.
It's a choice. YMMV

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 146731
There are plenty of folks that travel with their pets, both large and small.  I run a Professional Pet sitting business in the western Phoenix area, and we cater to RV'rs.  We advertise in the resort newspapers.  Also, Google "Pet Sitters International" to find licensed, bonded and insured pet sitters that will service the campsites you plan on visiting, you'll just need the zip code of the campground!

Lisa and Ghost Rider In windy Amarillo Texas!
2005 RB