Skip to main content
Topic: Rear view camera (Read 22 times) previous topic - next topic
Rear view camera
Yahoo Message Number: 146694
I am interested in the Rear View Safety or the Tadi Brothers rear view camera system rather than the factory option because the RVT and TB systems replace the rear view mirror rather than having another unit to look for  (and/or distract) your vision. I have hear good things about the Tadi system from this group but wonder about the RVT system which has a 130 degree camera rather than a 120 degree for the Tadi. Would appreciate any recommendations or comments from the group.

Thanks,  Ian

Re: Rear view camera
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 146696
"I have hear good things about the Tadi system from this group but  wonder about the RVT system which has a 130 degree camera rather than a  120 degree for the Tadi. Would appreciate any recommendations or  comments from the group"

Ian
 Get as large a screen as possible. I have installed a bunch of them and bigger is better.
Many rear-view mirror monitors have tiny screens, too small for my aging eyes to see enough detail to be useful. Same goes for sun visor mounted monitors, plus they are too close for many to focus on, self included.
The clip-on style of rear-view mirror monitor provides a larger screen.
http://www.rearviewsafety.com/products/camera-systems/rvs-770619p-rear-views-backup-cameras-systems-clip-on-rear-view-mirror-monitor.html
 I wouldn't worry much about 120 vs.130 degree field of view. With the camera mounted above the rear window, the width of view will be more than adequate with either.
I wouldn't use a bumper mounted camera, the high view is much more useful. It is also allow adjusting of the view. Ours is normally set to view just the toad but it can be aimed higher and used a rear view mirror, useful for backing into deep campsites.
Never heard anything about Tadi Bros but have installed a couple of Rear View Safety systems and have been satisfied with the results and performance. The monitors have been mounted on the center console.
.http://www.amazon.com/Rear-View-Safety-Backup-Camera/dp/B002GM5GKO/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1401689977&sr=1-2&keywords=rv+backup+camera+wireless The above system comes with a multiplexer that allow up to three cameras to be used. I keep thinking about mounting a camera at the front of the roof, it would come in handy in overgrown campgrounds or roads.
A system with a split screen monitor, could use two cameras, mounted on the exterior mirrors, for viewing the blind-spots. All of this stuff keeps getting cheaper and better and the market is coming up with new ideas every day, it's hard to keep up with all of it.

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze