Skip to main content
Topic: Windows and Rain (not a Microsoft question) A water leak question. (Read 35 times) previous topic - next topic
Windows and Rain (not a Microsoft question) A water leak question.
Yahoo Message Number: 146684
In short:

... I am finding water in the right rearmost storage compartment of my 07 mid bath.

...In three very strong rain storms (with several periods of rain falling at 1"/hr) I have seen water in two of three storms.
... spraying water on the rear window so the drain channels fill reproduce the water issue.

the long version: This spring after a very heavy rain storm, 48 hours of rain with several periods of one inch per hour rain rates, I noticed a small amount of water in the right rearmost storage compartment.  I later noticed that the hatch did not pass the dollar bill test.  I tightened latch's tongue that was a little loose but did no more as I was off to the NELD trip to Galax VA.
During that trip we had a similar storm but the compartment remained dry.

Later when home  I had water in the compartment after another intense spring downfall. The compartment was wet again.

At Galax the RV sat nose down and to the drivers side about 1degree as measured with my iPhone in several locations (refrigerator, table, counter by sink, and between the doghouse cup holders.  At home the right rear is low and the slope between 1 and 2 degrees using the same iPhone.

I took everything out of the compartment and placed single sheets of TP along the edges of the compartment to get an idea of where the water is coming from.  I ran water over rearmost right side window and frame and found a small amount of water inside.  In the second test I only flooded the widow's rain gutters.  Again there was water.  I will note that all the openings to the windows rain gutters ran freely.

Questions:
1.  Is the test valid? (In other words did I simply ask to much of the window's rain gutters and should be looking at another window problem?)
2.  I have limited skills.  Is this something that can be repaired in a driveway by one or two people by perhaps EASILY removing the glass sliding windows or does the window fame need to be removed?  If the window frame needs removal, or the windows are difficult to pull out I will be looking for a shop.
3. Will an RV rep are shop have the correct gaskets or should I call the mothership and order supplies before going to the repair place.

Comments: I suspect that when I was parked nose down it was still leaking but I just did not see the problem or any evidence as the spare tire blocked the evidence.  I welcome thoughts on this line of thinking.

John 07 Mid Bath.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Re: Windows and Rain (not a Microsoft question) A water leak questio
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 146687
John,
 Try "Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Sealer". I had a seep on the left side with water accumulating in the channel of the small end window.  Applied to the vertical gasket.  Haven't seen water since.  Even after the Galax deluge.

I believe there is a comment in the Companion about it.

Bob Kruppa

03 Midbath-Empyrean
NE-70
Bob & Judy Kruppa
2003 MB - Empyrean
NE 70

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 148407
Update.
I did order Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Sealer and also replaced the gasket on the hatch under the window.  This hatch is where the spare tyre (my other car was made in the UK) resides.
Fortunately either the RV was parked in a way that the leak did not happen in the past or the weather was nice (mostly the weather was very nice).  The last week has brought some hard rains and I do not have any sigh of water.  I strongly second the use of Captain Tolley stuff but would also recommend a dollar bill test on the hatches.
Happy trails all.  and don't tilt the pin ball machine.
John
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 148408
Captain Tolley's is good stuff! I've used it for all kinds of "crack" repairs, including small, "just bigger than hairline" stress cracks where the fenders join the body. Wonderful product!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 148410
"Happy trails all.  and don't tilt the pin ball machine."

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. My wife (before she passed away) used to do that all the time. She would beat on the machine when she lost.

She was a gentle women, but very competitive. I think the pinball machine will remind me of her. We all have our own motivations I guess.

Bob 01 23.5 TK Toys in tow