Skip to main content
Topic: StraightTalk broadband? (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
StraightTalk broadband?
Yahoo Message Number: 146669
Has anyone tried putting a StraightTalk broadband SIM into an iPad? I  snatched up one of those Millenicom iPads earlier this year but don't want to  sign up with a monthly plan. I'm not a fulltimer and at home the wifi works  great. But it would be nice to have internet on the road without turning my  phone into a wifi hotspot - which Verizon frowns upon. And I could just tether  the phone to the computer for one of us while the other one cruises on the  iPad.
 StraightTalk looks interesting both because it's on Verizon's network  (albeit 3G, but that's good enough for me) and because I can just buy a 30 day  refill just prior a trip. (I like Karma's never expiring data plan better, but  not the Sprint network.) I just can't tell from the website whether or not I'm  forced to buy their hotspot device or if I can just buy the sim and data. Yeah,  I know the per-GB data is expensive this way, but it's cheaper than carrying a  xx/mo plan for 2 years when I only want it sporadically.
 We're heading over to Santee Lakes next week for our second shake down  cruise. It will certainly be cooler there than here in Mesa - 108 deg yesterday!  My second summer in AZ. Ugh.

Thanks for any insight Mary Lou 2008 MB

Re: [LD] StraightTalk broadband?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 146670
"But it would be nice to have internet on the road without turning my  phone into a wifi hotspot - which Verizon frowns upon."

Are you on an old unlimited plan?
 I ask because Verizon certainly lets you use a smartphone as a hotspot...I've been doing so for a year now.

Linda Hylton
Linda Hylton

Re: StraightTalk broadband?
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 146674
"Has anyone tried putting a StraightTalk broadband SIM into an iPad? I snatched up one of those Millenicom iPads earlier this year ... [and] StraightTalk looks interesting both because it's on Verizon's network"

The bargain 16 GB iPad Minis offered by Millenicom were, as you know, tied to T-Mobile--not a good choice for RVers, because it has the poorest network coverage of any of the major carriers. T-Mobile, a Deutsche Telekom subsidiary, uses the European "GSM" cellular data standard, rather than the CDMA standard used by Verizon.

I have heard (though I haven't verified this myself) that these low-cost T-Mobile iPads can be switched over to AT&T's network, so you might want to see whether there are any deals available there. But they definitely will not work with Verizon.

(Note: the more expensive Retina iPad Mini models, as well as the Retina iPad Air, are "universal" and will work with any carrier in the US or abroad.)

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 146677
"Has anyone tried putting a StraightTalk broadband SIM into an iPad? I snatched up one of those Millennium iPads earlier this year but don't want to sign up with a monthly plan. I'm not a fulltimer and at home the wifi works great. But it would be nice to have internet on the road without turning my phone into a wifi hotspot - which Verizon frowns upon."

Mary Lou
 Why would Verizon care if you use your phone's hotspot, it's their job is to sell data. The hotspot is one of their advertised features and they do not discourage using it. AFAIK I bought one of the Millennicom iPad Minis too and love it.
I turned the Sprint off within a couple months due to its total lack of coverage and use one of our Verizon iPhone's hotspots, when WiFi is not available. Mostly, it's used at home where WiFi is available I seem to remember a discussion about the Sprint Mini not being able to use SIM cards for other carriers, maybe Andy will chime in and confirm or deny this. Would be nice for international travel to be able to change SIM, for local usage.
International roaming charges can bust the bank and can happen even within the US, when traveling near the border.
As long as we are in the US, Verizon is all we need for now.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 146680
"Why would Verizon care if you use your phone's hotspot, it's their job is to sell data."

Makes sense when put that way, doesn't it? But in fact, for quite a few years Verizon either disabled hotspot mode in their own-branded phones that had the ability (for example, older Droids), or charged an extra fee and attached all sorts of annoying strings (for example, older iPhones).

They finally gave up on this stupid practice a couple of years ago, though, and as far as I know there are no longer any restrictions on hotspot use. I often use my iPads and iPhone as hotspots when it's convenient to do so.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 146682
Hi Marylou,  we will be at Santee lakes 2 weeks after you.

You might try signing up with AT&T for your iPad.  I pay $30 a month for my iPad 1 for 3gb.  I can drop and restart any time without a contract.  Service has worked everywhere I've been so far except Stagecoach Trails where no one has service for twelve miles or so.

Bill & Jane Lynch #3530

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 146690
If you have Verizon's  Senior plan with 2GB data, you cannot use your phone as a hotspot. They  told me I needed to upgrade to 5GB/month of data to get it.

Dale 24FL & Cherokee Toda

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 146692
The 2GB data plan is  $30/month and is the minimum required for the 65+ Senior plan. The 5GB  data plan is $50/month. I pay $30/month for 200 min talk and $10 for  1000 texts. My current total is $70/month plus taxes and fees. It was  the best Verizon plan for my needs at the time. It has a 24 month  contract.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 146721
No, I'm not on unlimited, but I have 2GB per month that I hardly ever use  on a normal basis. I was planning on tethering the phone to the computer for one  person to use with that data bucket and then the other person would use the iPad  (with its own internet bucket).
 Also, I'm on a grandfathered limited voice where I pay extra for each  "service" added. When I bought my smartphone ~2 yrs ago, I bought data but not  tethering/hotspot. To switch to one of the current plans with the same data  would cost me an extra $20/mo. Not worth it to me right now. I'll continue to  pay 0.20 for each text message (don't get/send many) and tether via PDAnet for  my occasional computer needs.
 Finally, my significant other (who has always had broadband since being  connected), likes to watch YouTube videos and news stories recommended by his  friends. I figured I could just hand him the iPad for that and he could pick it  up and watch any time he wanted rather than asking me to hook my phone up to the  computer when he wants to get on.

Mary Lou

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 146723
"They finally gave up on this stupid practice a couple  of years ago, though, and as far as I know there are no longer any restrictions  on hotspot use. I often use my iPads and iPhone as hotspots when it's convenient  to do so." - Andy Baird
 It depends on the calling plan you have. I have have an older limited plan  with added data and Verizon doesn't allow me to officially turn on the hotspot  without shelling out more $$ per month. I do it unofficially via PDAnet  (Android). It's just not worth it to me for my very occasional needs.
 As an aside, I had been very seriously thinking about switching to an  iPhone until I found out there were no "unofficial hotspot" apps in the App  Store. So I'm stuck with Android until I decide to change my phone plan.  Sigh.

Mary Lou