Skip to main content
Topic: escape hatch cover (Read 20 times) previous topic - next topic
escape hatch cover
Yahoo Message Number: 146623
Hi All Anyone know where to buy an escape hatch cover (24  x 17 opening) ?
 Mine is got cracked at a corner somehow and leaked  water when raining. Ordered new one from pplmotorhomes to fit a 24 x 17 opening.  Recieved it yesterday and it measured 26 x 19. Old one measured 25 x 18 outside  dimensions. I put the new one on and it is not going to work. I called ppl and  they said that's what they sell for a 24 x 17 opening. Huh? I returned it.  Probably will be charged shipping and restocking fees.  :-((
 I guess I'll have to eterabond the cracked corner  and reinstall until I can find one that fits.

Tom

Re: escape hatch cover
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 146624
Tom:

In February 2014 we had the escape hatch (2006 MB, delivered March 2007) replaced by The Mothership.

This replacement did not include any  hardware.

Ours was done as preventative maintenance, not because of any issue.

At the same time and for the same reason we had the shower skylight replaced...Steve has designed and has had locally-made a new Lexan skylight.

We are pleased.

TinaP 2006 MB "Wild Thing"...resting up from her 8100 coast-to-coast-to coast winter ramble
2006 MB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 146625
Hi Tom,

I too had to replace the escape hatch on my 2001 mid-bath. That was last year and I also searched the internet but no luck. I called the Mothership and they were just getting ready to make an order for more and they added me to their list. I think the cost was just over $100 and it took about a month to get. It also did not come with hardware. I called the Mothership again and they talked me through how to take out the old cover, remove the hardware and rivet the hinge half to the new cover. I had to buy a rivet gun and learn how to use it but is was easy to get the hang of. I reinstalled the cover and the only problem was getting the aluminium cross piece to fit. I thought I had it done right but the cover would pop open while driving. I finally filed the cross piece to fit and reattached it. That was a year ago and it has worked perfectly ever since.

I saw you last week at our GTG in Anacortes and if I knew you had problems with the hatch cover you could have looked at ours and we could have discussed it. I was the one with the 2 Shelties in the brown mid-bath.

Kevin Hannah 2001 26.5 mid-bath Poulsbo, WA
Kevin
Kevin Hannah
Green Valley, AZ
Owner of 2000 26.5 RK, came back to the family
Previously 2014 Newmar Baystar
Previously 2001 LD 26.5 MB

escape hatch cover
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 146626
Thanks Kevin Sorry I didn't get a chance to visit with you. I  try to get around to everyone.
Yes, I didn't know the cover was broken until  waking up wet when it rained Friday morning. Being from PNW you know how lucky  we were to have that nice weather in May (at least until Friday  morning).
Tom

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 146627
It's worth repeating what Tina said: even though the factory no longer installs escape hatches (boo!), they do have replacements that are far better in quality than the originals.

Last month I had my 2003 midbath's escape hatch replaced, along with its shower skylight. Although only three and a half years old (I had replaced it after the lightning strike), the cover was almost as brittle as a potato chip. Steve Newton told me that the new parts, locally fabricated to his designs, are much more UV-resistant and quite a bit thicker, so they should hold up much better.

In short, if you have any reason to replace either the shower skylight or the escape hatch, I strongly recommend getting the parts from Lazy Daze, not from a third-party vendor such as PPL.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 146629
I replaced the escape hatch cover on our '02 MB a couple of years back.  Like many others, I bought the cover from the factory, had to drill out the rivets on the old hinge bar, and pop-rivet the new cover onto the old hinge bar.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

escape hatch cover
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 146630
Thank you Tina and Andy Kevin and Art
 I'll patch this one up with eternabond and wait  until I get to the factory again. Unless I come across one somewhere  before that. My shower skylight looks very good still, though, what with NW  skies and keeping rig covered when not in use.

Tom

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 146633
I tore an escape hatch cover off my 01 TK from backing into a tree branch with it raised up. Was able to find a bolt on replacement at a local RV store while headed to Morro Bay. Also had to replace the crank handle mechanism as that was damaged during my foolish mistake. This led to me creating a departure checklist. No issues since.

Bob