Skip to main content
Topic: Broken propane tank valve handle (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
Broken propane tank valve handle
Yahoo Message Number: 146603
I have an '03 MB.  Tried to turn on the propane after the winter.  The handle was cracked, and after I turned the propane on, the handle broke right off.  I tried numerous tools and couldn't find anything else that I could use to turn it off.  I asked the guy who does my RV repairs if he could replace the handle, but he said they couldn't and referred me to a propane dealer who said they can only work on tanks they themselves have installed.

Has anyone else had this happen? Any advice about how I should proceed? Should I try to replace the handle myself?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Pam and Jim

Re: Broken propane tank valve handle
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 146609
Pam and Jim, have you tried calling the Lazy Daze factory and asking them about a replacement handle?

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 146618
Joan--thanks so much for the link.  I have put in a query to Manchester Tank.

Andy--great idea.  I will call the factory. Since the handle appears to be part of the tank, I guess I assumed that  LD would not have replacement parts, but maybe they do.  I've also been leery about this b/c other folks seem so reluctant to touch this thing.  I know propane is nothing to mess around with, but I thought perhaps there was something dangerous about replacing this handle that wasn't registering on my radar.  I've also been wondering whether screwing on a new handle is the right way to go or whether it would be preferable to weld the thing on so this won't happen again.

Anyway, thanks to both of you for the ideas. I will keep you posted!

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 146619
For a temporary fix, use a baby vise grip wrench. You can just leave it on there for the time being.........

Jim

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 146620
I definitely agree that messing around with propane is something one should NOT be done unless one has the knowledge and experience to do it. But, in my experience, I also am quite sure that many RV repair shops and propane suppliers/dealers choose not to do anything involved with LPG tank or parts repairs because neither wants the hassle or liability (think 'CYA')  in doing repairs or maintenance on LPG systems; they may not have the space or the trained personnel to do repairs, or they just don't want to bother. I think this latter is the case far more often than not.

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 146621
Jim--We tried a vice grip wrench already with no luck, but we might go at it again.  The valve is really tough to turn without the handle.  Have you used a baby vice grip in this situation?  Do you have any further advice about how you made that work?  Thanks!

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 146622
Hi Joan,

Yes--I can't really see the danger in simply screwing on a handle to make this valve work, and my guess is that people just have blanket policies about doing this sort of thing.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 146628
If you can't turn the valve stem with a pair of vice-grips, I'd be concerned about the valve itself.
Our propane valve has always opened and closed fairly easily.  Maybe a problem in the valve led to the handle breakage.  You may want to consider replacing the entire valve assembly.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 146695
Pam, I guess I was fortunate enough to be able to work the valve with a baby vice grip. I then took the old handle and did a little "JB Weld" fix on it (and the shaft) and carefully secured it with the screw back onto the shaft of the valve.
Our local Propane dealer said he could sell me a valve to replace it (after I have completely emptied the tank), or he could do it, but would charge not only for the valve, but to evacuate the tank.
My handle is still holding, so for now, I'm just being gentle with it.
You might have a more serious issue if your valve wont turn. I don't recall if you said it was stuck in the open or closed position. If closed, and you can get it open, I'd run your tank empty and purchase a new valve assembly and install it or possibly find someone who can.

Jim

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 146986
Hi Jim et al,

Thanks for all your advice about the propane tank valve and handle.  I finally found a propane place in Michigan (called Propane Services, 27481 Beverly Rd., Romulus, MI, phone: 313-292-9100) that would replace the handle on the tank valve.

At first they weren't sure whether we needed a new valve or just a handle, but it turned out that we only needed a handle--they couldn't turn the valve without a handle, either, but nothing was wrong with the valve.  New handle installed, problem solved. They also filled m propane tank.

For anyone looking for help with propane in SE Michigan, this is a great place--very friendly, very knowledgeable, very reasonable.