Skip to main content
Topic: Refrigerator Cooling Unit Replacement (Read 15 times) previous topic - next topic
Refrigerator Cooling Unit Replacement
Yahoo Message Number: 146556
Well my number came up and I smelled a strong smell of ammonia in the fridge shutting down after a camping trip. It is looking very much like I'll need a new cooling unit. Anyone with experience in this think I may not need one? I do a lot myself but I may have to have this done. While a cooling unit is in the $500 range, a new fridge is in the 900-1100 range. Any thoughts on that?

Barring that, any wisdom on taking on this job or where to have it done in OC, California would be appreciated.

1993 LD with Dometic RM3604

Thanks.

Matt

Re: Refrigerator Cooling Unit Replacement
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 146557
Yes your cooling unit is shot and will require a replacement. Some RV stores offer a rebuilt unit at about $150 cost savings to a new one.
It's really not necessary to replace the entire fridge unless you have a reason to, like leaking door seals, warped door, damaged interior, etc.
I have replaced a fridge in SOB, not too bad but they are heavy. Replacing the cooling unit is not difficult, but it feels like you'll damage it when wrenching the new one in place. I would pay someone to do it. And if you get a rebuilt cooling unit make sure it comes with a good warranty, like 3 yrs.

Bob

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 146576
When we had a similar issue, the best advice from several reputable sources was to replace entire unit if you can possibly afford it.  As it turned out in our case, we had erroneously parked on s steep hill without turning the refrigerator off.  It sat on level ground for three days before our service facility (Florida Outdoors)!got to it.  The luck of the Irish!  The refrigerator took care of itself.  Apparently the ammonia returned to its proper level and it lived happily ever after.  No charge by the service facility.  They did do some routine service work so I guess they were happy.  I use them to this day.

Bob in Florida
Kathy and Bob on the Go

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 146586
Thanks, Bob.

I am going to go inspect it more. I'm not Irish but I do have luck once in a while. I did find it odd that there was no yellow gunk or dust around. I will inspect more and probably try firing it up. Does anyone think that possibly it  could be a relief valve or something which released something or is the system totally sealed and any smell of ammonia is a giveaway for a replacement cooling unit?  More info - my camping trip was at a full hookup site, so on auto - my fridge went from propane to AC when I hooked up, then stayed that way most of the weekend until I unplugged and it happily went back to propane.

Incidentally, I did notice a fair amount of condensation the last couple trips. The freezer is very cold and beverages, etc seem to be the right temperature but  the condensation in the fridge seems strange. Any thoughts on what might be going on there appreciated.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 146596
I didn't see the start of this thread, however, my two-cents worth:
 Several years ago our Dometic developed a refrigerant leak. We talked to several RV repair shops and to Dometic "authorized service centers." What we learned was; ØBoth Dometic and Norcold had discontinued selling "replacement cooling units" even to their service centers.
ØIf you want to replace the cooling unit, you must buy the unit elsewhere; probably via the web. All of these cooling units will be used units that have been "remanufactured." ØThe warranty on a new refrigerator is at least a year; often longer. The warranty on a replacement cooling unit is typically 90-days, but sometimes longer.
ØTo install a replacement cooling unit, the old refrigerator must be removed from its "compartment." Most repair shops will take the old refrigerator completely out of the RV to install the replacement unit. Some people have managed to do the replacement without taking the refrigerator outside; typically done in the dinette area.
ØThe cost of removing the old refrigerator and replacing it with something else is the same whether the "something else" is a new refrigerator or the old refrigerator with a new cooling unit installed.
ØThe cost difference between the two approaches is the cost of a new refrigerator versus the cost of a replacement cooling unit plus the labor to install the cooling unit in the old refrigerator.
ØThe labor required to install a new cooling unit in an old refrigerator is greater than the labor required to just remove and replace a refrigerator.

In the last couple of years things may have changed,

Doug Baker

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 146634
Well I replaced a cooling unit in a travel trailer and it was a rather easy thing to do. It also eliminated having to remove a window to get the whole refrig thru. Came with a 3 year warrenty and has worked out much better than most new refrigerators I have delt with in RV's. And saved a few hundred dollars to boot. This was a smaller unit than in a LD so it might be apples and oranges comparison.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 146635
I too replaced a cooling unit in a SOB I had. The refrigerator had to be removed from the wall but not taken completely out of the rig via the window as you pointed out. Replacing a fridge takes 2 people. I did the whole cooling unit replacement myself in about 2 hrs. It was an easy choice, the cooling unit was $600, a new fridge $1200. I used the fridge for 2 years without an issue. Working fine when I sold the rig. Between being able to do the job myself not paying for 2 peoples labor, and half the cost of a new unit I saved conservatively $800. Money I used for gas to explore Baja Mexico and enjoy things like lobster tacos, beautiful coastline, and very friendly people.
 Trying to fix every problem with big money doesn't always make sense. But there are those that get talked into things by the RV shop salesman thru lack of experience. Many salesman work on commission and will steer you to the most profitable solution for them.

Bob