Skip to main content
Topic: 110v/12v center getting very hot (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
110v/12v center getting very hot
Yahoo Message Number: 146505
We have a 1992 26.5 MB and are currently touring the west for the next 5 months.  I have noticed that when we plug into 30 amp service and flip our "charge" fuse switch to charge the house batteries the entire unit becomes hot to the touch after maybe 10 minutes.  Not warm, hot.  Needless to say we flip the fuse off but this leads to the problem of not charging the house batteries.  This becomes a problem after a few days as the lights get very dim.  When charging using the engine alternator this does not happen. Any thoughts on what may be happening would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Re: 110v/12v center getting very hot
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 146506
This sounds like a serious problem and possibly a fire hazard. Please contact Larry Wade at lw5315us@... Your converter may be going bad and I know Larry has spares for some models. Don't take a chance, be safe.

Bob

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 146507
Matt, I agree with Bob: this is a potential fire hazard. I know it's a pain not to have your batteries charged, but I recommend not using the converter at all until you can either troubleshoot the problem or replace the unit.

One possible cause of heating is loose connections at the screw terminals in the automatic transfer switch (ATS), where 120 VAC power enters and leaves the converter. These terminals have been known to loosen up in more than once case, resulting in overheating and even melted terminal blocks.

The ATS is a metal box attached to the back of the converter. You can pull out the converter (just four screws hold it in the cabinet), and unscrew and remove the cover of the ATS, so that you can check the condition of the setscrews. MAKE SURE ALL AC POWER IS OFF BEFORE DOING THIS! If you're not experienced working with 120 VAC circuitry, get a professional to do the job.

If, on the other hand, it turns out that the converter section needs to be replaced, consider replacing the weak, inefficient factory-installed converter with a more powerful three-stage converter from Progressive Dynamics. You can search this group's conversation archives (on our website) for more information on these drop-in replacement units, which will charge your house batteries much faster (thus minimizing generator runtime) and treat them more gently as well.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 146508
To what Andy said I would add the 3 stage converter is worth every penny. I got mine from Best Converter and it has worked perfectly for 2 yrs. My batteries generally get charged from Solar as I boondock a lot but when plugged in the performance blows away the stock converter. The product support from Best Converter is incomparable. One less thing to worry about.
 Life is good. BTW there is an LD camped next to me in Bakersfield RV travel park. If you read this come over and say hi in the morning. I'm making egg burritos.

Bob

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 146524
"My batteries generally get charged from Solar as I boondock a lot..."

That's a point I meant to bring up in my previous message. Solar panels are a great way to keep your batteries topped off, or to charge them while boondocking in the kind of beautiful scenery where you don't find electric hookups growing on trees. ;-) I can't recommend them enough.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"