Skip to main content
Topic: Too Much Solar Is Just Enough (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
Too Much Solar Is Just Enough
Yahoo Message Number: 146448
I recently had another Solar Panel installed and now my roof is full. 4 panels 2 100W, 1 140W, 1 135W for a total of 475W capacity. Now even on overcast days I have 100% battery power by 1PM. Solar is the best upgrade I have done. Converting everything over to 12V (TV, DVD, Computer power supply, etc.) Free power from the sun and no need to run generator when boondocking. Sometimes technology is great! Not a slave to it like when I was working in the IT world.

Bob

Re: Too Much Solar Is Just Enough
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 146463
Kinda like having to much truck when pulling a trailer, there is no such thing as to much.
20 + MH's since 1977 incl...
Past
FMC, 2x GMC's, Foretravel, 2x LD
Present
1996 LD RB under restoration, my project to keep me off the streets.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 146470
"Kinda like having to much truck when pulling a trailer, there is no such thing as to much"
 Determining your solar needs and then adding an extra panel eliminates the hassle and danger of having to climb up on the roof to tilt the panels.
Panel have dropped in price so much that this makes good sense...unless you enjoy working on the roof.
As long as the controller can handle the panel's amperage, add as many as you like and can fit.

Larry

Wishing our LD had more roof space available
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 146473
"Wishing our LD had more roof space available.."

---

Lose the kayaks? ;-)  
Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 146487
" "Wishing our LD had more roof space available.."--- Lose the kayaks? ;-)"  
Joan

And lose our tsunami survival devices? You have been to one of our Yahoo West GTGs where a tsunami occurred.
Tsunami danger zones are very common along the West Coast beaches, increasing in numbers at you head north.  AFAIK, you don't have such a essential piece of equipment that is critical for beach camping.
I fear for your survival.

Concerned

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 146488
"Tsunami danger zones are very common along the West Coast beaches, increasing in numbers at you head north.  AFAIK, you don't have such a essential piece of equipment that is critical for beach camping.
I fear for your survival."

----

What? LDs don't float!?? Uh oh.....

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Solar
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 146577
Hi Folks, just to comment on your plan. Your idea of adding two extra batteries is a great idea. However you really should think twice about getting the panels from LD. They have a one track mind on how they wire the solar which is sufficient for two panels but not letting you add more. The wire size they use is 10 gauge generally and is fine for two panels. According to AM Solar of Oregon (the best in the business) you would need 8 gauge wire to add at least three panels which you really need for 4 batteries. More is better but you could probably get by with 3. You would also need a controller to match. Do a little investigation before you do the factory solar. Don't bother asking them to install bigger wire as they won't do it. Even if you pay for it. If you really want to boondock and do  it right contact AM Solar and get more info. They are very helpful. Depending on your schedule and when you get your rig there is a guy named Marvin who works for AM Solar and I believe he will winter in Casa Grande during the winter months. He does excellent work and uses their products. If you do get the four batteries be sure and protect the terminals with a protectant as the AGM batteries have a tendency to corrode at the connections with time. They are called maintenance free batteries but should be checked periodically to be safe. Hope this is useful info for you and good luck. Take care, john leach, Co.

Re: Solar
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 146578
If you're adding batteries, you might consider 2 8D Lifeline AGMs. Total of 510 amp-hrs if I recall aright.

I had AM Solar put 2 8D's under a 1997 RB dinette seat (the seat just inside from the outside factory batteries before I tossed them)

My current SOB has 3 8D Lifelines and 1200 watts of solar on the roof by AM Solar.

But I would not give up my 10KW generator. When my alternator failed I just started the generator and had all the DC and AC I needed to keep going and get the alternator replaced.

best, paul

best, paul

center

center

center

center

center

Re: Solar
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 146593
Paul, Thanks for your comments. Several people have mentioned AM Solar, seem like they are the ones to go to. Re the 8d's, they are so blamed heavy, and for that reason I would go with smaller case size even if it means more batteries.

Ian
2015 MB