Skip to main content
Topic: Magnetic Knife Bar (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
Magnetic Knife Bar
Yahoo Message Number: 146380
I recently bought a magnetic knife bar and I would like to put it on the side where the refrigerator is next to the stove in my Midbath. What would be the best way to mount it on the wall? I know a very short screw would have to be used, but is that all I would need and what size screw should I use??

Thanks, Martha
2004 MB

Re: Magnetic Knife Bar
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 146382
Martha, for an item such as a knife rack, I use #8 pan-head or round-head sheet metal screws. The length of the screw should be enough to let half an inch protrude beyond the fixture (e.g., knife rack) you're attaching. For example, if your knife rack is 1/2" thick at its mounting holes, then 1" screws would give you the wall penetration you need. That's deep enough to get a good grip, but not enough to run much risk of puncturing anything important. (That particular wall in the midbath has nothing but foam insulation inside it, so there's no risk at all.)

I've had a magnetic knife rack on the fridge-side wall of my 2003 midbath since I bought the rig--in fact, it was installed by the previous owner, so it's more than ten years old--and it has never loosened up or dropped a knife while underway.

Andy Baird

http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 146383
Thank you Andy, I was nervous about putting too long of a screw with that refrigerator right there so I have been putting off the install until I can ask the group what would be best.

Thanks again, Martha
2004 MB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 146384
Just did the same for our 31IB,  behind the  sink, but the BR on other side of the wall rather than the fridge.   I  marked the proper spot and drilled 1/8 " deep hole just thru the ply with a 1/8"  bit,  then probed for depth.  Found there was 3/4 " clearance (of  couse the holder came with 1" screws).   Redrilled 1/8" deep with  bit  sized for the anchor, set the anchor and screwed in 3/4"  screws.  Happy as a clam at high tide.

joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 146388
When installing knife racks, and other things to the walls, I use 3M's heavy-duty interior/exterior, mounting tape to mount the rack in position and then use short sheet metal screws to lock it in place.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_237203-98-411DC_0__?productId=3101939 Screws that just pock through the paneling by 1/4" are used,  just in case there are unknown electrical wires or plumbing behind the wall. If you have any concerns, grind the sharp tips off the ends of the sheet metal screws. The tape provides great strength, the screws add to it and lock the rack in place.

In our 23.5"FL, the magnetic knife rack is mounted on the wall to the left of the stove and directly in line with the back of driver's head, making me a perfect target in case of an accident.  A 1" wide anodized aluminum bar was added to the rack to hold knifes in place, preventing them from coming loose in a collision. It is a good idea if the knives are in position where they could fly toward the passengers in case of an accident .
 https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157602104741677/show

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 146419
Larry, I like the idea of adding that extra bar across the knife rack to prevent knives from flying in case of an accident. I never even thought of the possibility of that happening until you pointed it out. And the 3M tape sounds like a simple solution to help relieve stress on the weight of a couple of little screws..Thanks again

Martha
2004 MB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 146422
An alternative choice would be a wallmount style knife rack mounted to the inside of door under kitchen sink. Out of sight, dust, and danger. My LD came that way.
Not sure if factory installed it there or prior owner.

Bob

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 146424
Moderator, Please delete duplicate message. When I hit the send button first time it said "failed to send" . So my second try worked but now duplicate msg.

Thanks,
Bob