Skip to main content
Topic: Cell voice and data reception (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Cell voice and data reception
Yahoo Message Number: 146379
We have noticed in our travels that if there was a way to boost our cell phone data and voice reception that it would be helpful to do so. I have a Samsung S4 and she has iPhone 5. We have CREDO as our carrier who use the Sprint network towers.  I have noticed my wife's iPhone5 has superior reception on both voice and data (Internet).  Any recommendations on how to boost the signal for both phones in our 23.5TK as we travel?
2021 Mid Bath

Re: Cell voice and data reception
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 146381
Ted, I recommend Wilson's Sleek cellular booster as a simple, affordable way to increase signal strength. The kit includes a magnet-mount antenna, an amplifier cradle that can hold almost any phone or MiFi/Pantech hotspot, and a 12 VDC power adapter. For a hundred bucks and change. It's an easy way to get a stronger signal both in and out of your phones. Be sure you choose either the Sleek 4G-S model that's optimized for Sprint's peculiar frequencies--or if available, the newer Sleek 4G version that handles all cell frequencies.

Of course, a cellular booster isn't magic. If there's no cell tower in the area, a booster can't pull one in. Unfortunately, Sprint is not the best choice for RVers. Outside major cities, their network is scanty. If you want coverage out in the boonies as well as in town, Verizon is your best choice, because their network is much more extensive than those of any of the other US cellular carriers. That's why most RVers use Verizon for both phone and internet service. But as long as you're stuck with Sprint, the Sleek booster will help, assuming there's any kind of Sprint signal where you are.

For more information on amplifying cell phone signals, see this Eureka article.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 146390
Here is an alternative to the Sleek amplifier which is a higher power amp. One nice feature is it works on both voice and data networks. It has CDMA (Verizon, Sprint) and GSM (AT&T, T-Mobile) bands as well. IMO worth the extra money over the Sleek.
http://wilelectronics.factoryoutletstore.com/details/38989-94725/wilson-electronics-460108.html

Bob

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 146391
It appears that  Bob's recommendation is just coming on the market, so I cannot comment on it, but it looks very good for modern phones.  We have a Wilson amplifier (both GSM and CDMA) mounted inside an upper cabinet above the dinette in our 2004 RB.  The antenna is mounted by clamp kit to the horizontal portion of the ladder railing near the fridge vent stack.  The cable is snaked down the fridge vent and then accross the ceiling to the cabinet above the dinette.
 We have Sprint service.  Andy says Sprint is not good in the boonies, and he is right.  However, Sprint roams on Verizon (both are CDMA).  When we are in the SoCal deserts (e.g. Joshual Tree), we roam very nicely on Verizon.  We have been in many campgrounds where we are the only campers with a voice/data link.  (People see our laptops or cell phones and wonder how we are connected and they are not).  Worth every penny.  Ted

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 146392
I saw the telescopic directional cellular antenna on Andy's rig and liked it. I had Larry build and install one for my LD with the Sleek amplifier attached. I too have been boondocking in remote areas with a signal. I will be upgrading to the new more powerful Wilson amp soon and will report on it.
 There is a downside. On one camping trip my neighbors came over to ask me how I was getting reception when they couldn't. After I explained their Daughters came over and wanted to use my IPAD to update their Facebook Pages. I said okay and didn't see my IPAD for 2 hrs. But I guess I made some temporary friends.

Bob

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 146400
The Wilson 460108 that Bob mentioned looks very promising for those who need the ultimate in a cellular booster. It works with all five bands now in use by US carriers, and it has substantially higher input gain and output power than the Sleek booster series.

However, these advantages come with a price: the 460108 costs roughly three times as much as a Sleek booster cradle. And it's bulkier, uses more 12 VDC power, and lacks the Sleek's all-in-one cradle/amp design.

I've had quite a bit of experience with both the "big blue box" Wilson amps such as the 460108 and the Sleek series amps over the years. for what it's worth, here's my recommendation: if you often camp in extremely remote areas and you absolutely must have an internet connection at all times, a "big blue box" booster is worth its high price. But for the majority of RVers, the inexpensive Sleek series amps will do the job nicely at a small fraction of the 460108's cost.

Andy Baird

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 146404
We switched from VZ to Ting.com. They use sprint and roam on VZ and have been happy with them. Data does not roam but the monthly bill for two smartphones has not exceeded $35 since January 2013 when we signed up.

For more reliable data we use Millenicoms mifi set up.

Jim C

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 146405
I am going to order the new Wilson Amp unit in 4-6 weeks to try it out. I deal with a discounter and he won't have any in stock for that long (projected). Seems the demand for this Amp is high. Hopefully worth the extent of the wait and works as advertised. As I said before I will report back. Going to the High Sierras in CA where I could just barely get a signal before with the antenna raised and extremely low data speeds (probably analog).

Bob

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 146406
Also spend my summers in the High      Sierras. My Favorite camp only receives a 1x signal with Verizon.      Would be very interested how any amp handles very weak signals...

Al

Allegro owner looking for an LD MB
 On 5/19/2014 8:16 PM,        [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote:

I am going to order the new Wilson Amp unit in 4-6 weeks to try        it out. I deal with a discounter and he won't have any in stock        for that long (projected). Seems the demand for this Amp is        high. Hopefully worth the extent of the wait and works as        advertised. As I said before I will report back. Going to the        High Sierras in CA where I could just barely get a signal before        with the antenna raised and extremely low data speeds (probably        analog).

Bob

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 146408
Al, I will post on the forum here after I receive the unit and test it.
 If your looking for an LD MB I think there's one for sale on the group, recommend you do a search. If you find a good one jump on it. Took me 6 months to find my LD and there were 3 people offering to buy it sight unseen. I drove 500+ miles to look at it and was the first there. Luckily I brought the cash and the Rig was mine after an 8 hr. inspection to test all the appliances, etc. The most important thing IMO is making sure no past water leaks/damage. If you find even a hint of that walk away.

Bob

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 146413
Ted
 Andy's suggestion to use the 4G Sleek is a good one, actually the only reasonably priced amplifier that works on 4G. I have found changing to a better antenna and low-loss coax cabling makes a significant difference in signal strength.
Experimenting with my LD's directional cellular antenna, the same as the one I built for Andy, switching from the very thin coax, that comes with Wilson's small antennas, to the thick, low-loss LMR400 cabling adds an extra bar or two to signal strength That can be the difference between making a connection or not.
If getting a connection is important to you, use the best antenna and cable available. Keep the cable as short as possible. At the very high frequencies that cell phones operate at, the signal deteriorates easily and using low-loss cable makes a big difference
 Many times, with the upgraded cable and the directional antenna stowed down and not aimed, I will have reception as good as one of Wilson's small magnetic antennas.
I'm looking forward to reports on the effectiveness of the new Wilson amplifier, compared to the 4G Sleek.
It has a lot more transmit power but will it's ability to amplify the received signal match it?
 BTW, the FCC rules pertaining to cellular amplifiers have changed, You need to notify your carrier if you buy and intend to use a new amplifier.
Signal Boosters - Robust Wireless Service at Home, at Work, and on the Road

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 146429
Andy, Yes the cost is a disadvantage over the Sleek. In my case there are a couple reasons it's worth it for me. My cell is GSM and data is CDMA (Verizon thru Millenicom). The Sleek amp won't work on both so it's useless for my Iphone. I won't switch my cell to Verizon Wireless because I had a terrible experience with their customer service in the past.
 I frequently camp out for days, sometimes weeks in very remote areas like the Mojave Desert. I want the best amplification available as I frequently use the internet for a multitude of purposes. If this more powerful Amp makes the difference between me connecting or not its worth every penny. Even if it helps with connection speed in remote areas that's a big plus.
 BTW I found one on Ebay available now and was able to get them to knock a few bucks off the price. I should get it by next week and will report back.
Comes with money back guaranty if not satisfied.

Bob

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 146430
I'm looking forward to reports on the effectiveness of the new Wilson amplifier, compared to the 4G Sleek. It has a lot more transmit power but will it's ability to amplify the received signal match it?"

As I recall, Wilson's specs say the Sleek amplifies incoming signals by 25 dB, while the new "big blue box" amp boosts them by 45 dB. That's a substantial difference.

Andy Baird

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 146431
Larry will probably have an opportunity to test the new Wilson amp first. I ordered one and am having it shipped to his place in conjunction with a visit.
Cell signal in his area is weak so it will make a good test example.
 I would agree with both Andy and Larry that the Sleek is the best solution for most users. Very cost effective, compact, and low power consumption. If I like the new Wilson amp will have a Sleek for sale at a low price if anyone interested.

Bob

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 146445
"If I like the new Wilson amp will have a Sleek for sale at a low price if anyone interested."
 When I get my new high-powered Wilson amp (yes, I've ordered one), I intend to put my Sleek amp in the car. There have been times when even my "big blue box" Wilson amp couldn't pull in a signal at my campsite, but driving a few miles in the car allowed me to connect. The Sleek would be ideal in such a situation.

Andy Baird

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 146447
Andy, That's a good idea. The sleek isn't worth much used. Think I'll just put it in my Jeep. I can move my Novatel from LD and put it in the handy cradle I'll have mounted in the toad.

Bob

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 146479
I probably missed it.  Sorry.  Can you please give me the model number Wilson booster you purchased?

Thank You,  Bob in Florida '06 30IB AE   SE 5

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 146480
It's Wilson 460108. Mine just arrived today but it's 100 miles away at this point. Should be able to test in the next couple days. I think Andy has one coming as well.

Bob

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 146486
"The http://3gstore.com  appears to offer more bands; http://3gstore.com/product/4742_wilson-dt4g-amplifier-460101.html
Paul

The 460101 amplifier you listed is made for fixed indoor installation, with a 1000sq/ft effective interior area.
The indoor antenna requires a certain distance from the external antenna to prevent feedback.
There is a good chance this model will have that problem with this.
 The Wilson 460108 (the one Bob is getting and is sitting in my garage right now) ) is made for mobile operation and has an indoor antenna with a very limited range to prevent feedback.
The 460108  comes with a 12-volt plug, while the 460101 has a 120-VAC power supply.
 If I get a chance this weekend, I will give the 469108 a try (since I'm temporarily holding it for Bob). We live in a cellular hole, surrounded by cell towers that are too far away for a strong, un-amplified signal.
It's a great place to test the effectiveness of amps, antennas and upgraded cabling.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 146489
Thanks for clarifying that.

How does this amplifier connect to a MellenicomMiFi?

A question answer on Amazon by a customer was a cell phone had to be within 12 inches of the interior antenna! That's fine for one person.

So could I put the MiFi and antenna next to my CradlePoint WiFi router to connect me and Kathleen? Or would that be feedback heaven? Or?

best, paul

center

center

center

center

center

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 146492
I must be missing something here. You don't need another router with the Millenicom MIFI device, It is a router and connects up to 5 devices. I have my Laptop, IPAD, and Iphone all connected at once sharing the same Internet Connection. Works great and coverage is excellent although expensive.

Bob

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 146493
You're correct.

But some computers like MiFi's as a router and some don't. We've had both.

We got rid of the Windows 8 that was driving us crazy.

We have a refurbished MacBook Air waiting for us in Minneapolis. We'll see if it likes MiFi.

Our Samsung Windows 7 and HP ChromeBook do fine with MiFi as a router.

Now if someone could tell me how to disable a Win7 touch pad I'd have a lot fewer typos ...

Later.

best, paul

center

center

center

center

center